Join our zoo community

Best animals for a small zoo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Josh Corbett, 12 May 2017.

1. Josh Corbett

Josh Corbett Member

Basically I'm thinking of starting a small zoo and I'm wondering what are a few good species to start off with? So ones which are relatively cheap and easy to look after but still have some wow factor

2. Dicerorhinus

Dicerorhinus Well-Known Member

Fantastic idea, you sound perfecty qualified to do so

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Sarcasm levels - through the charts.
    Spelling levels - substandard.
    Helpfulness levels - negligible.

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In case you cannot tell, dicerorhinus is being sarcastic (I assume). I think what they are trying to say is if you don't even know which animals are available or which you want then you may not be qualified to start a zoo.

I would not want to be that negative and I encourage anyone to follow their dreams. However, just be aware it will take a while and you will need to gain experience, most likely by volunteering at a zoo (if you don't already). Also in the UK you will need a zoo license if you plan to be open to the public and I imagine authorities will be hesitant to issue a license to someone with no experience.

The best option for you based on what little I know from your posts is to get some small animals that are legal for private ownership and start a small facility that is closed to the public and does not require a license. Once you build it up and get experience, then you can apply for a zoo license to be open to all. Hopefully some of the UK members can point you in the right direction as to which animals are available over there (lots of birds and reptiles I would guess).

nicholas and jayjds2 like this.
  5. Josh Corbett

Josh Corbett Member

I know how to look after animals, farmyard ones, cows, horses, etc. Just not 100% on what animals to get for a zoo rather than a farm.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  6. Arizona Docent

Well it sounds like you have experience with large farm animals, though most exotic animals for beginners will be small animals (like sugar gliders, bearded dragons, etc). However there may be exceptions that UK members know about. Here in the States for example, I think you can own capybaras as pets?

7. Josh Corbett

Josh Corbett Member

Thinking more like camels, deer and the like, just don't know about the logistics of it all from a zoo perspective

8. Arizona Docent

9. Josh Corbett

Josh Corbett Member

Thanks for that, sorta thing I'm looking for