Join our zoo community

Best asian elephant breeding enlosure in Europe.

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Elephantelephant, 11 Jun 2020.

?

What is the best asian elephant breeding enclosure in Europe?

Poll closed 18 Jun 2020.
  1. Zürich

90.9%
  2. Cologne

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Munich

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Prague

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Emmen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Leipzig

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Pairi Daiza

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Chester

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Whipsnade

9.1%
  10. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

I created a poll on the best breeding enclosure of Asian elephants in Europe. I haven't seen anything like it in yet, so I tried it. I tried to choose only the best, but certainly not to satisfy everyone. It would be good if those who vote for others would say for which, to find other favorites.

(I would just like to ask the administrator to keep this poll. Although I created one recently, it was bad, and unfortunately it can't be removed. Please delete so that it doesn't take up space. Otherwise, I know that you should not create more than one at a time.)

Zürich:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cologne:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Munich:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Prague:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Emmen:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leipzig:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pairi Daiza:
    [​IMG]

Chester:
    [​IMG]

Whipsnade:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Jun 2020
    felis silvestris likes this.
  2. Elephantelephant

But the last two photos are labeled Whipsnade.? I always write it only for the first of the two. As with others. Exceptions are Chester and Pairi Daiza, I did not find suitable photos of the elephant house.

3. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I personally don't think there is any real competition here, with Zürich being the very clear winner. I guess everybody will agree that their indoor housing is the best on the continent. It is large, attractive, full of enrichment and feeding stations and provides the most complex indoor enclosure with multiple larger enclosures (1 off-show) that can be connected.

The outdoor enclosures sometimes get criticized for being too small and while they are not big, multiple scientific studies have shown that size does not matter when it comes to increasing elephant activity. What matters most is structural complexity, having a high number of feeding stations and an irregular feeding schedule. This is where Zürich outperforms most zoos as well, with over 40 feeding stations across the whole complex. They currently keep two separate matriarchal herds + 1 bull (they have been looking for years to give one group away, but haven't found a suitable home yet). This means that the Elephants are rotated throughout the day between the different indoor and outdoor enclosures. The enclosures are also designed in such a way that it is easy to get out of eachothers sight, with multiple corners, the downside might be that some parts are relatively narrow.

From a visitor perspective, I personally like the building very much from an architectural point of view, it is huge, but elegant and relatively unobtrusive (unlike Cologne's building). The whole enclosure is themed around human - elephant conflicts in Thailand (though like most education, it is probably missed by most), which is also where Zürich contributes a large sum annually to reduce such conflicts.

Multiple studies showing importance of feeding schedule, number of feeding stations & enclosure complexity for Elephant activity:

Error - Cookies Turned Off

Determining Connections between the Daily Lives of Zoo Elephants and Their Welfare: An Epidemiological Approach

Walking Behavior of Zoo Elephants: Associations between GPS-Measured Daily Walking Distances and Environmental Factors, Social Factors, and Welfare Indicators

4. Elephantelephant

I also think it's more about finding the biggest competitor than determining the winner. I personally think that the exhibit at the Cologne Zoo is too desolate. I prefer Munich or Emmen, for example.

HungarianBison likes this.
  5. Elephantelephant

I think the biggest Zurich's rival could be Stuttgart in a few years. That is, if their plans are really as grand as they look.
    [​IMG]

6. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Moreover with Zurich, the management of their animals is excellent too!

Until the death of Maxi, two breeding bulls, regular integration of both bulls with both cow groups (and both bulls with each other), allowing natural herd births, keeping matriarchal lines intact, not forcing socialization between butting heads (Ceyla and Indi), not needlessly trimming tusks and keeping them contantly short (looking at you Munich), and regular breeding? There is virtually nothing to complain about at all! They're definitely among the best when it comes to social management as well.

(Although to be fair, some others, such as Dublin, Blackpool, Emmen, Eindhoven, and more, are certainly on the same level in that regard!)

7. felis silvestris

felis silvestris Well-Known Member

My list of these:

1. Easily Zurich
    2. Whipsnade
    3. Emmen
    4. Cologne
    5. Leipzig
    6. Pairi Daiza
    7. Munich
    8. Chester
    9. Prague