Join our zoo community

Best beginner small exotic mammal?

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by LizardInsanity, 4 Dec 2010.

1. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Best beginner exotic small mammal

Fossa Dude -- I have bred a lot of Quail over the years, including this one. They really are very easy, but I couldn't tell you how to keep any animal in the restriucted space available here. Fire me some specific questions, and I'll try to answer them.

2. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

@ FBBird- WOuld a quail (unspecific species) need outdoor space? How much space?

3. Fossa dude

Fossa dude Well-Known Member

FBBird - I have done research on these guys but only herd one time from someone at a pet store that they are very good for green houses. Is this true? Besides an ordinary cage I Heard it is common for them to be house at the bottom of aviaries. What birds would be good for the tops of the aviaries. ( I have herd finches and parakeets ) How did you house them and where they with any other birds? Did yours live in large groups or pairs and what morphs did you breed?

Thank you

Fossa dude

4. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

Considering the amount of obese (and sick) pet rats I've encountered so far, even their diet requirements seem to overwhelm many owners...:rolleyes:;)

5. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Best beginner exotic small mammal

KCZOOFAN - Quail can be too 'dusty' for the average living room. Most birds do better outside. However, various quail species have been kept in battery type conditions and laid well; some of the early captive propagation of Masked Bobwhites was done this way. I have kept single pairs of Chinese Painted caged indoors, with a divider in the cage, allowed together once a day for mating. This approach prevents feather plucking, which can be severe under indoor conditions. The domestic Japanese Quail, if well handled, can be treated as a kind of feathered hamster, with the added bonus of edible eggs.
    Fossa Dude -- I have kept Chinese Painted with finches, small parrakeets and doves. The only aggression I have seen to other species was towards newly fledged Diamond Doves sitting about on the floor. I kept the normal wild type and the Silver mutation, which was almost all there was in those days; I am not fond of the many modern mutations, many of which have lost the original markings. It's not gemerally known that a cock Chinese Painted will usually accept incubator hatched chicks and rear them; hens don't do this.
    Sun Wukong -- many people seem incapable of looking after anything properly, however 'easy' it is. You've only got to look at all the behaviourally messed up dogs around, or even children....

6. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

Training a dog doesn't have to be easy, in particular when headstrong and smart individuals are involved. The same can be said about children...

Proper feeding of animals isn't always easy either, even in regard to so called "beginner" animals.

7. LizardInsanity

LizardInsanity Well-Known Member

This is why I am leaving the sight all I do is ask and you snobs have ruin things

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I haven't posted in this thread before as I have no experience with small "exotic" mammals as pets, but perhaps you could clarify this last post of yours? You asked a question, various posters gave you proper advice, and you respond by throwing a hissy fit and calling them "snobs" (which I might request you look up the definition of if you wish to use it in the future).

9. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I do agree with Chlidonias. I have experience keeping several exotic mammal species (although I m more a bird guy) but I did not see the need of posting in this forum because the advice you got on your question was accurate and proper. That it's not what you want to hear sorry but better to get a fair answer.