Join our zoo community

Best Chimpanzee enclosure in Beneleux

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by britishzoofan, 6 Aug 2020.

?

Best Chimpanzee enclosure in Beneleux?

Poll closed 11 Aug 2020.
  1. Antwerp

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Burgers

95.8%
  3. Monde Sauvage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Amersfoort

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Artis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Beekse Bergen

4.2%
  7. Olmense

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Dierenrijk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. britishzoofan

britishzoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is just a bit of fun to judge the general consensus on the best enclosure for Chimpanzees in Beneleux I have added a few photos from the gallery to make it easier for members to compare the different exhibits. If anyone wants to make an argument for a particular enclosure, please feel free to do so. Also, I would encourage people to perhaps list the enclosures in order of what they determine to be the best.

Antwerp

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Burgers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Monde Sauvage

[​IMG]

Amersfoort

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Artis

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beekse Bergen

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Olmense

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dierenrijk

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

snowleopard likes this.
  2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is very easy to pick who should not win, but there are several good enclosures around. The one in Antwerp might not look very pretty, but is very effective in creating a fission - fusion environment on a small footprint by having multiple connected indoor and outdoor enclosures. The enclosures in Beekse Bergen and Mierlo are also good. My vote does however still go to Burgers' Zoo. The enclosure is by far the oldest of them all, opened in 1971 and revolutionized the way zoos keep Chimpanzees, as it was the first zoo to keep a larger group with multiple adult males. A lot has been said and written about the research done here by Frans de Waal, Otto Adang and others, which has done a great deal in helping us understand Chimpanzee society. Even today the enclosure holds up well to modern standards. The island is >5000 square meters, making it the largest enclosure of them all in this competition and it provides a varied environment with plenty of privacy. The indoor enclosure is the less strong point, but with ~300 square meters still provides ample space, but is not the prettiest. The visitor viewing from above is somewhat awkward, though it gives the Chimps privacy. Overall still a win for Burgers' for me.

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Fully agree with @lintworm ! Beekse Bergen a very good second place and Mierlo getting my 3th place.
    I guess in the Benelux the chimps at Olmen are the unluckiest in worths of housing and also the indoor-enclosure at Artis isn't everybodies taste.
    Also the chimp-housing at Amersfoort is not my kind of taste but for all Benelux holdings I still think that none of them is realy bad.

4. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I visited all 8 of these zoos last summer and this thread is rekindling fond memories of my 95-zoo European trek. It might be a long time before I'll head off to Europe to repeat that holiday!

I think that there are 4 very good chimpanzee exhibits on the list and 4 very poor ones.

#1 Burgers' Zoo: This enormous exhibit will be 50 years old next year and it holds up remarkably well and is a legendary chimpanzee zoo habitat. The outdoor section is for the most part brilliant, but the indoor holding should be much larger and it is genuinely surprising that the zoo has never expanded it in a half-century. Frans de Waal wrote about how the chimps would fight and there would be a lot of tension in the winter months when the apes were inside for many days in a row. However, overall this is still a splendid chimpanzee complex and renowned worldwide.

#2 Beekse Bergen: A very large area for chimpanzees is impressive right in the middle of the zoo, with a second chimp exhibit closer to the entrance. The indoor areas are nicely done, with thick natural substrate on the floor.

#3 Dierenrijk: Another Dutch zoo with a vast area devoted to chimps, with a big outdoor yard that is a little bare in places but otherwise very good.

#4 Antwerp: The various sections of this exhibit are maze-like and allows choice for the apes, although the big walls are a bit of an eyesore and the indoor areas are fairly bleak. Still, as far as the chimpanzees are concerned this is a decent exhibit.

#5 Monde Sauvage: A very basic enclosure that is a replica of dozens of others that I've seen at zoos all over North America and Europe. Nothing special, nothing fancy, nothing memorable.

#6 Artis Amsterdam: During my visit there were some chimpanzees blocking the overhead tunnel to others, which makes it a dangerous passage if you are a weaker, smaller, subordinate ape. The whole thing is an old-fashioned cage, due to eventually be replaced at this famous zoo.

#7 Amersfoort: Another old-fashioned cage that doesn't offer up any height for the chimpanzees, with a scattering of hanging ropes and tree stumps that aren't pretty and I'd be curious to know how much of the furnishings the chimps actually use. A black mark on an otherwise popular zoo.

#8 Olmense: The worst exhibit on the list. The ugly black tires don't offer up anything imaginative outdoors and the indoor area is hideous and very dark. The photo on this thread makes it seem lighter than it truly is, but the indoor area is horrendous and depressing to look at.

Thanks for these great polls @birdsandbats and keep them coming! However, isn't it 'Benelux' instead of 'Beneleux'? :)

Last edited: 6 Aug 2020
  5. britishzoofan

Thanks for your kind words @Snowleopardqueen :p. It is great to have you and other knowledgeable members participate in these polls and thanks for the excellent write up. You are correct it is Benelux.

6. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

That's hilarious! :p

7. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Burgers win here without a shadow of a doubt. Beekse Bergen and Dierenrijk definitely should not be forgotten about however, as both provide fantastic outdoor enclosures and decent indoors that suit breeding groups. As a side note Burgers also have a decent past breeding record, and have the largest group of chimps in the BeNeLux at present at 15 individuals. Granted a lot of these individuals are somewhat older, but the enclosure still stands true after nearly 50 years of use.

Choco115 and britishzoofan like this.
  8. Stefan Verhoeven

Stefan Verhoeven Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am the odd ball and went for Beekse Bergen. There is no denying in the history of Burgers chimpansee group and exhibit. And it's impressive that even 50 years later it is still one of the best (or is it a bad advertisement for most of the zoos that build their exhibit afterwards?). But keeping history out of the comparison, I think Beekse Bergen is slightly better with the indoor part of the exhibit and more or less the same for outside, so my vote went for them.

9. britishzoofan

Score update. Burgers currently have a large lead with several convincing arguments being made in their favour. A very impressive performance from such an old exhibit.

felis silvestris and Jungle Man like this.
  10. Choco115

Choco115 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think there are 3 terrible enclosures in this one. Obviously Amersfoort and Olmen are terrible and should be demolished immediately. I also dislike the one at artis, which is way too small. I haven’t seen the one in Monde sauvage but it looks small as well. Antwerp is ok but not in my top 3. Now my top 3:
    3. Beekse bergen. They have a huge outdoor area, I don’t really like their indoor enclosure but it is a good enclosure for them.
    2. Dierenrijk. It’s the newest exhibit of all, and you can really see that. A very nice island for the animals, and a great indoor enclosure.
    1. Burgers’ zoo: this is my favourite exhibit. It’s very old and still the best I think. A beautiful huge island and a big indoor enclosure makes this my favourite enclosure for this species in the Benelux.

11. britishzoofan

Poll closed. Congratulations to Burgers on winning the vote for Best Chimpanzee enclosure in Benelux. It was an extremely one sided vote and marks Burgers first (of what will probably be many) poll victory.

Burgers: 95.8%
    Beekse Bergen: 4.2%

Jungle Man likes this.