Join our zoo community

Best collections in North America

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by CMP, 25 Oct 2020.

1. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

What are the best collections in North America? As in, if you were only to go to 5 or 10 zoos in North America, which ones would it be to see the most species possible? From what I can tell, Shedd aquarium is the most obvious on this list, but some other zoos and aquariums across the country also stand out. Having many unique species is also better, because if you were to go to 2 zoos that both had hundreds of species but nearly all of them were the same, then that defeats the purpose of trying to see as many species as you can.

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think zoos and aquariums should be considered separately. I know much less about aquariums than I do zoos but I think aquariums will have more species. As for zoos obviously San Diego is the clear winner, even the zoo on its own, but especially if you combine the zoo and safari park (which are jointly run by the same organization). New York City has a similar situation, where Bronx Zoo is one of the biggest but the same organization runs five local facilities (including an aquarium which if you add that might give Wildlife Conservation Society biggest collection overall?). Wildlife World Zoo & Aquarium & Safari Park (as they now call themselves) is also one of the biggest and has several animals rarely seen in the USA (though I cannot recommend their exhibit quality or standards of care). Though I have not been there I believe Henry Doorly Zoo may also have a very large collection?

Since you ask about all of North America, not just the United States, I confess I am ignorant of the situation in neighboring Canada and Mexico, but I don't know of any zoos in either country that can match those mentioned above. Aquariums may be a different story.

Jungle Man and CMP like this.
  3. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For Canada, the only facility that can really compete with the big names in the states is Toronto. In its prime, it's collection was as diverse as the best of them and was likely one of the "best" zoos in North America.

For aquariums, Vancouver, also at its prime during 2015-2016, was also one of the best aquariums in the nation. 4 different species of cetacean, 3 different species of Pinniped, Sea Otters, and a massive variety of other aquatic and terrestrial species. It absolutely held its own as one of the best aquariums on the continent. Its still excellent, but sadly due to activist pressure, has taken quite a hit in the cetacean department.

TZDugong, Jungle Man and CMP like this.
  4. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've been in the US before but I only visited collections in California + the Philadelphia Zoo.
    If I was to come back soon and to target 10 collections, they would be :

- Omaha
    - San Diego Zoo
    - San Diego Safari Park
    - Bronx Zoo
    - Houston
    - DWA
    - LA Zoo
    - Gladys Porter Zoo
    - Memphis Zoo
    - St-Louis Zoo

Both zoos in San Diego, the Bronx are very easy picks, same with DWA, but then Cincinnati, Columbus, Living Desert could easily replace Gladys Porter, Memphis or others. Same with Tampa.
    Also, SeaWorld San Diego for the Emperor penguins or the Guadalupe fur seals, or Minnesota Zoo for the Hawaiian monk seal, Monterey for the Laysan Albatros and because it really is a great place from what I remember.

Jungle Man and CMP like this.
  5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Shedd Aquarium has more species than any other zoo in the world. Dallas World Aquarium has more unique species than any other zoo in the world, having all sorts of species kept by no other zoos in the world. Otherwise, some other zoos with very large collections include Omaha, San Diego, Bronx, Toledo, Georgia Aquarium, Monterey Bay Aquarium, and many more.

Arizona Docent, Jungle Man and CMP like this.
  6. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies!
    The top facilities I thought of were San Diego zoo, San Diego safari park, sea world San Diego Shedd aquarium, Cleveland Zoo, Cincinnati zoo, Henry Doorly zoo, and Georgia aquarium.
    Seeing all of the replies has made me realize that this may be a non-objective question, which is fine. I also did not realize that Dallas World aquarium was as species rich/unique as it is. Definitely want to look more into that. As for Bronx zoo, do they have many unique species? And do you think Cincinnati and Cleveland belong on this list, I was under the impression that they harbored many unique species.

7. Rayane

Why Cleveland ?
    The Bronx's collection lost a few highlights over the years, especially in the birds department I believe, not sure where it's at today though.

8. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Mostly for the Rainforest and Primate, Cat, and Aquatics exhibits. From what I can discern, they have many rare animals there. Never been myself however. Also, that was the impression I was given by Bronx zoo, they may have lost some highlights and is similar to Brookfield zoo. I have never been to Bronx zoo either, so I might be totally off.

9. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Bronx Zoo has actually grown its bird collection in the past few years. Should be at around 300 species right now. Add in the other collections run by WCS and you are likely near 400 species. Some rare species include Cuban Amazon, maleo, lesser ajutant, anhinga, Peruvian pelican, among dozens of others. The reptile department has also been growing in recent years with a focus on rare turtle/tortoise species. The collection overall is the largest it has been in over 40 years according to a quick skim I did of the zoos annual reports. Not something many zoos can say.

Also want to say San Antonio has a ton of unique reptiles and birds, and is more deserving than some of the other zoos mentioned here.

Jungle Man, TZDugong, jayjds2 and 2 others like this.
  10. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I keyed in on the second part of your opening statement, "...which ones would it be to see the most species possible." Somehow this stuck in my mind and I thought the question was which zoo has the biggest collection. That is objective. However I just re-read the opening and see it says which zoo has the best collection. This is subjective. There are similar threads on ZooChat but to reiterate it depends what you are interested in. If you just want the most number of rarely seen species then likely San Diego Zoo and Wildlife World Zoo would top the list (and also perhaps Dallas World Aquarium as long as mammals are not your thing). If you want to focus on birds then San Antonio Zoo and Houston Zoo would be good choices (though I think I read on ZooChat that Houston closed its bird garden?). If your interest is reptiles then Fort Worth Zoo and Dallas Zoo and likely others I am not that familiar with would be good choices. If you are a cat fanatic like I am then Memphis Zoo and Cat Haven and Cincinnati Zoo might fit the bill.

CMP likes this.
  11. Rayane

Might be the only major zoo that can claim actually growing its collection.

nczoofan likes this.
  12. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Toledo was recently, and possibly still is.

Rayane likes this.
  13. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Houston is replacing the old bird garden with a new bird garden and breeding center. So its just a temporary measure until 2021.

Arizona Docent likes this.