Join our zoo community

Best continent for mammals?

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by amur leopard, 15 May 2021.

?

Which of these is the best continent for mammals?

1. Africa

2. Antarctica

3. Asia

4. Europe

5. North America

6. Oceania

7. South America

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member

Question is simple - in your opinion, which of the 7 is the best continent for mammals?

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

What do you mean by your question, "best continent for mammals"?

Which continent has the most mammal species? Which has the "best" species? Which is the best for seeing the most species in the wild? Which is the easiest to see species in the wild?

There are a load of variables in the question.

3. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member

The question is entirely subjective and you can treat it as you like. I’m obviously I’m not asking people to count up the mammal species on each continent though.

4. ChunkyMunky pengopus

ChunkyMunky pengopus Well-Known Member

In the wild, I would probably say Africa, as I don't think any other continent has so many large (And small) mammals in such large numbers, and judging from what I have read these numerous ungulates, carnivorans, and really much else are readily viewable.

For captivity, Europe is probable the best, as, judging from zootierliste and the zoochat gallery, there seems to be way more species in zoos in europe as a whole, and especially some juicy rarities at the likes of Pilsen, Prague, the Berlins, Cologne, Moscow, etc.
    (It is quite enjoyable reading of those juicy rarities on the thread by @amur leopard yourself:D)

Keep in mind that I have been to neither continent, this is just what I have read :rolleyes:

5. Pantheraman

Pantheraman Well-Known Member

I chose Antarctica because while no land mammals live there, the ones that do live there aren't as disturbed by humans.

6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

If you are defining the best continent in terms of mammal biodiversity then I believe it would be North America and in country specific terms Mexico which would have the highest rate of mammal species.

7. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member

Indonesia has the most species, by far, and the most unique species. Mexico is generally ranked 5th, after Australia, Madagascar, and your own Brazil ;)

8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes it seems that you are right, I remember when Mexico was ranked 1st but it appears that it has dropped a few places now.

Still 5th place for mammal biodiversity is not too bad for a country but of course the challenge is to conserve that incredible biodiversity.

It seems that none of the top 5 megadiverse countries are doing as well as they could with conserving their mammalian biodiversity.

9. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member

It probably dropped as more species have been discovered in the others; Mexico is much easier to explore, and has had a lot more explorers! Same with Australia.

10. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Definitely think that is a factor, but I'm sure there are still mammals waiting to be discovered by science and particularly in the South-East.

TinoPup likes this.