Join our zoo community

Best country for wildlife..?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by NZ Jeremy, 17 May 2008.

1. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

@Nz Jeremy: Could You please spare me (and others) Your incessant innuendos? They don't lead to anything and foul the mood. Thanks. Javan Rhinos were kept in several zoos in the past, but that, just like Giant Forest Hog or Giant Pangolin, doesn't make it to a high status zoo animal.

@Chlidonias: Thanks, always wondered whether this species had already been kept.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

here's the thread that Zooish mentioned the Bornean clouded leopard in
    http://www.zoobeat.com/2/new-clouded-leopard-species-4269/#post9979

I'd rather suspect that numerous Bornean ones have been kept over the years. I mean its not very likely that of all the clouded leopards kept around the world over the last hundred years or so, none ever came from Borneo

3. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

If you’re going to post in threads started by me could you at least read other people’s posts... If you re-read my original post you will see it states:

If you post in a condescending manner don't be surprised when you get retorts... Could you please spare me (and others) your insistence of telling us what to post... As long as I stay within the board rules I'll post whatever I please... Thanks...

4. Sun Wukong

@Chlidonias: Thanks for the link. That might partly also explain the lack of breeding success in some facilities.
    @NZ Jeremy: As long as You are not a moderator, I see no real power of enforcement behind Your reprehensions. Therefore, I will continue to write as I please, as I have the same right to state my opinion as You have. Please spare me (and others) the now following angry response to this post of mine, as I (and probably most other readers) are more interested in the topic than ego displays and cop preciousness...If You're eager to cut me down to the size You wish, better send me a PM.

Regarding Your thread's initial request: in my humble opinion & understanding-
    zoo animals = animals that are nowadays regularily kept in zoos, like flamingos, lions etc. (= not species that have never or extremely rarely been kept)
    high status animals = species most zoos wish to acquire and keep, like elephants, giraffes... (= the most popular crowd pleasers).

5. NZ Jeremy

You bore me...

6. Sun Wukong

@NZ Jeremy: I can only return the compliment.

Chile & Peru would be two other interesting places in terms of zoo animals: all the New World Camelids, Chinchilla, Andean Condor, Humbolt Penguin, Inca Terns, Coatis, Spectacled Bear, South American Sea Lion, Degu, Cougar, Capybara, Chilean Flamingo...

7. NZ Jeremy

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

8. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

alrighty, were all gonna chill now and stay on topic.
    I reckon PNG is one of the best countries for wildlife!

9. Sun Wukong

@ZooYouthBen: 100% agreement on the topic focus. Constant grumbling about certain members is really not necessary.
    About Papua New Guinea: depends on which species You take into account.
    Some animals, like Southern Cassowary, the sugar glider, the New Guinea subspecies of eclectus parrot and crowned-pigeons are rather common species in zoos. Some of its birds and reptiles are common in the exotic pet trade. But other spectacular and interesting species are clearly not common in zoos and unfortunately don't have a "high status" among most zoo visitors-may it BoP, Tree kangaroos, parrot species like the Pesquet's Parrot, New Guinea Crocs or Sir David's Long-beaked Echidna. All in all, I think countries with a still (partly) existing megafauna are the most attractive ones in the searched sense.

Which makes me wonder-"high status" in regard to the (common) zoo visitor or the wildlife enthusiast? If the latter is meant, Ethopia, Eritera, already mentioned PNG, Aru Islands, Sulawesi, New Caledonia, Falkland Islands, the Philippines, Ecuador, Colombia, Costa Rica, Namibia etc. could also be mentioned.
    @Jurek7: sorry, just saw that You already mentioned Peru.

10. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Maybe i like PNG so much because we only have their Eclectus here, and some of their beautiful fish.

11. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

The country of Africa ;)

12. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

Ethiopia:
    Ethiopian wolf
    Walia ibex
    Mountain nyala
    Gelada
    And many other mammals,birds,reptiles,and amphibians that are only found in the country

13. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What is it with you and Ethiopia? Also how many of the species you listed are commonly kept in captivity?

14. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

I'm from there. Hence my name, TheEthopianWolf:D

Sadly due to an export trade ban in Ethiopia, the only animals I know are kept in captivity are...

Geladas (Bronx zoo in New York and many European zoos)

Blue winged geese (Bronx?)

Ethiopian mountain viper (San Diego zoo)

I have also heard of Abyssinian long eared owls and Walia ibex being kept in captivity but I forgot the location of the zoos they are kept.

animal_expert01 likes this.