Join our zoo community

Best Elephant Exhibits in USA

Discussion in 'United States' started by Pattie_beaven, 17 Sep 2010.

1. team tapir

team tapir Well-Known Member

Any thing new on this project at Brookfield Zoo?

Team Tapir

2. TropicWorld54

TropicWorld54 Well-Known Member

I have no idea when the zoo is going to start building the elephant complex. The master plan show that the elephants will be part of a phase two which is the current phase they are on. Every one on the zoos facebook page is asking when are the elephants coming back but the zoo never says a date. The master plan is supposed to be completed by 2015 but I doubt that it will happen since just about every thing in the zoo will change and it will include a sky ride!

3. Gforrestersmith

Gforrestersmith Well-Known Member

The National Zoo and the Oregon Zoo have given more space and care to their herds of Asian elephants.

4. Montana119

Montana119 Member

Tampa Lowry Zoo has a large exhibit with separate space for bull. Wonderful functioning group with 2 African elephant births last 2 years from Swaziland imports.
    Any zoo that does NOT practice protected contact should not be considered Excellent at this time. It is one of the few variables which institutions have complete discretion.

5. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone know what happened to the updating of the elephant.se website?

6. loxodontaafrica

loxodontaafrica Well-Known Member

The author of the website became very ill and is in recovery.

7. cloudedleopard

cloudedleopard Well-Known Member

Asian elephants-
    1. Columbus Zoo
    2. San Diego Zoo
    3. Cincinnati Zoo
    4. National Zoo (old, I haven't been since 2009)
    African elephants-
    1. Cleveland Zoo
    2. Toledo Zoo
    3. San Diego
    4. Brookfield
    5. Pittsburgh

8. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wish them a speedy recovery!

9. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

Of the ones I've seen my list would go:
    1. North Carolina Zoo- While others may be more African themed, there is nothing to compare to the vastness and scope of this exhibit. It also benefits from very good visitor viewing opportunities, informative signs, and a research tent that brings to light conservation issues. Also I love how the elephants are neighbored by white rhinos and several antelope species.
    2. Dallas Zoo- If NC wins for scope, this one wins for detail. Viewing the herd of elephants across water and seeing them roam in a natural environment is truly spectacular. Of the ones I've seen, this one is the one that best recreates Africa.
    3. San Diego Safari Park- The herd dynamic and number of elephants make this one special although closer viewing would be nice. There's a reason this one has given captivity some rare success at breeding elephants.
    4. Animal Kingdom- Great immersion but, as others on this site have mentioned, the brief viewing opportunity is a drawback.
    5. National Zoo- The best Asian elephant exhibit I've ever seen. Full of enrichment opportunities and a great setting for the elephants to bond with one another. It gives the visitor a greater appreciation for elephant conservation too.
    6. Nashville Zoo- A little overrated on this site but still a successful modern exhibit by all means.
    7. Columbus Zoo- The outdoor exhibit is just above average in terms of naturalism but this is definitely one of the better Asian elephant exhibits in the country and one of the largest. The indoor facility is amazing and outside the elephants have a decent amount of space to roam and a pool.
    8. Lowry Park Zoo- While I wish it had more grass, a decently large exhibit with a fair amount of enrichment opportunities.
    9. Zoo Miami- I applaud this zoo for exhibiting the elephant species separately. While the exhibits fit the mold of Miami's moated, decently large but minimally naturalistic exhibits, I do approve of both exhibits.
    10. Bronx Zoo- While not the biggest elephant exhibit or one with the best viewing opportunity, it's one of the few Asian exhibits I've seen that puts some effort in recreating their environment. I hope Bronx does ultimately end up keeping their elephants but hope if so they expand their exhibit.
    Keep in mind I'm still yet to see exhibits such as Oklahoma City, Denver, Indianapolis, Oregon, and Oakland that could from what I've heard deserve a place on this list.

10. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am sorry, but I hate Cincinnati Zoo's elephant exhibit. I know, close to the animals, water in both yards, bull, etc.

But the yards are all small, and the barn is concrete floors. The inside of the barn is really dark. They are still free contact, and in my opinion they overuse bull-hooks. I dont consider myself to be one of those elephant advocates, but these things are all important aspects that are lacking.

I would really appreciate it for someone to explain why they think the Cincinnati Zoo's elephant habitat is good.

I am open to your opinions.

11. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'll be visiting Dallas Tuesday morning and I'm hoping Oklahoma City a week from Thursday.

12. junglejim

junglejim Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Oregon Zoo is making it's case and racing toward the top! Oregon Zoo for everyone is in Portland, Oregon. Observing the elephants doing beauty good adapting to totally new large space! An space will be even bigger!!! Baby Lilly, a bigger girl now, following the herd along enjoying everything! Really looking forward to seeing the new FOREST HALL (elephants new indoor facility) it is ENORMOUSLY BIG! The changes they are making in Portland are incredible!
    I thought also the Toledo Zoo exhibit was big. Love the interior exhibit and the room it gives those big guys!

13. BlackRhino

BlackRhino Well-Known Member

While I mostly agree with your list, just wondering why you consider Nashville's exhibit to be overrated? In my personal opinion it does the best job of creating an immersive African elephant exhibit with multiple vantage points, lots of grass and vegetation, and beautiful pool. I understand they are renovating their barn in the near future and they currently have no bull elephants, however I find it to be the most beautiful elephant exhibit and very large! I definitely agree with you on Dallas and I have yet to see North Carolina. I would also like to add Saint Louis. Beautiful naturalistic exhibit with multiple yards for the elephants.

14. DanKoehl

DanKoehl Well-Known Member

But I now feel better, the website was also attacked from hackers, so I had to renovate the script, now things start to look better, and I am busy updating as well.

15. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

The only African elephant exhibits I’ve seen are Oakland’s and San Diego zoo safari park’s. Both are truly amazing. Oakland’s 6 acre exhibit for 4 elephants is a nice sight, especially when they jump into there pool. SDZSP on the other hand shows a herd of elephants walking around in a spacious exhibit with enrichment all around. Both are contenders for the top ten African elephant exhibits with SDZSP being one of the top five.

StoppableSan likes this.
  16. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In my lifetime I've seen 12 elephant exhibits, however one, Hogle Zoo's, I saw when I was to young to remember, so I can only describe 11 of them: 5 for Asians, 4 for Africans, and 2 that held both. From worst to best here are lists for elephant exhibits:

Elephas maximus (Asian elephant) exhibits
    7. Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (no longer holds elephant, thankfully) (held both species)
    6. Santa Barbara Zoo
    5. San Diego Zoo (holds both species)
    4. National Zoo
    3. Houston Zoo
    2. Los Angeles Zoo
    1. Oregon Zoo

Loxodonta africana (African bush elephant) exhibits
    6. Memphis Zoo
    5. Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (no longer holds elephant, thankfully) (held both species)
    4. Cameron Park Zoo
    3. San Diego Zoo (holds both species)
    2. Oakland Zoo
    1. Disney's Animal Kingdom

*Please note these list was made purely from how good/bad I think the exhibits are for the elephants and does not take into account visitor experience

Last edited: 3 Jan 2019
    StoppableSan likes this.
  17. Mai Thai

Mai Thai Well-Known Member

As of 2020
    African Elephants
    1.Sedgwick County Zoo
    2.Disney’s Animal Kingdom
    3.San Diego Zoo
    4.Reid Park Zoo
    5. Zoo Atlanta

Asian Elephants

1.Huston Zoo
    2. Denver Zoo
    3. Smithsonian National Zoo
    4. Oregon Zoo
    5. LA Zoo

In the future the Fort Worth Zoo and Cincinnati Zoo should be added

18. Mai Thai

By San Diego Zoo I mean San Diego Zoo Safari Park

19. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are these all facilities you have seen in person? Genuinely curious, I'd love to know what you see in these facilities. For me, as far as pictures go they all look fantastic, I'd have to see them in person to properly judge for myself. (I did see DAK and both the Zoo and the Safari Park, all of which are fantastic IMO. Speaking of which...)
    The San Diego Zoo ain't half bad for geriatric animals either. ;) Husbandry-wise it's the best I've seen for aging elephants. I have a feeling that if they paint the utilitrees and the more *metal* bits with a neutral brown color (much like they did with some of the fencing) and encourage growth on top of the utilitrees, we would have an infinitely more aesthetically pleasing habitat. Still, EO deserves a ton of credit from a husbandry angle. The Safari Park's facility is nice, though the eucalyptus are kind of distracting and I would like to see more logs, rocks and elevation that the elephants can use to exercise. (Maybe even some antelope in the mix).

Mai Thai likes this.
  20. Mai Thai

I have seen some in person an some in pictures