Join our zoo community

best eurasian otter exhibit

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Ortolan bunting, 16 Jun 2015.

1. Ortolan bunting

Ortolan bunting Well-Known Member

I know that there is a lot of threads about the "best" exhibits for which ever animal. Well I decided to do the best eurasian otter exhibits. because I like otters:). I think skansen zoo has the best otter enclosure but I have not been to many zoos outside Sweden.

you are welcome to show images of the enclosures:D

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I reckon the best Eurasian Otter enclosures I have seen are those at Innsbruck Alpenzoo and Tiergarten Nurnberg.

3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The best I have ever seen does not exist now. It was at the Otter Trust near Bungay in Suffolk, which closed nearly ten years ago. There were a series of large pens which were beautifully landscaped, with water flowing from pen to pen. This water was pumped from and eventually returned to the beautiful River Waveney which ran past the site. Although several species of otters were kept, the main aim of the Trust was captive breeding of European otters for reintroduction into England. This programme supported the natural recolonisation of England by wild otters, but it eventually became redundant as the otter population increased.

Alan

4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member