Join our zoo community

Best exhibit ever?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by AlmightyKingPrawn, 19 Jul 2020.

Tags:
  1. AlmightyKingPrawn

AlmightyKingPrawn Well-Known Member

Hey, I asked before what your worst exhibit was, so whats your favorite? An upcoming visit to the Henry Doorly Zoo may change this, but I still adore the Polk Penguin Conservation Station at the Detroit Zoo. My jaw genuinely dropped when I first walked in. The first view, the 4d ship, the underwater tunnel with the penguins leaping over your head... I love it.

Alex Bensky likes this.
  2. The Speeding Carnotaurus

The Speeding Carnotaurus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’ve always been a big fan of Monterey Bay’s Kelp Forest exhibit and Shedd’s Wild Reef

9030 and AlmightyKingPrawn like this.
  3. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think the Masoala Rainforest at Zurich Zoo is my personal favourite. A large variety of species and a great view if you get to the top of the viewing platform.

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My all-time favourite is Burger's Bush :).

5. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Henry Doorly’s Kingdoms of the Night is one of the best nocturnal houses I’ve ever seen and if you combine it with the Desert Dome I think you can consider it among the best complexes in the world.

Neil chace, 9030, TinoPup and 2 others like this.
  6. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Never seen it in person but from video and pictures I'd say Detroit's Arctic Ring of Life

LowlandGorilla4 likes this.
  7. Paul Kalisch

Paul Kalisch Active Member

There are definetly a lot great exhibits and often it`s difficult to compare two completely different complexes. I guess my personal favourites are either the Eismeer in Hagenbeck, the lion and tiger enclsoure in Wuppertal or the Gondwanaland in Leipzig. But honestly it`s really difficult to decide which ones the best.

8. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've been to Detroit and while Polk Penguin Conservation Center is great I thought Arctic Ring of Life was overrated.

My favorite complexes I have ever seen are Wild Reef at Shedd Aquarium, Amazon Rising at Shedd Aquarium, ProMedica Museum of Natural History at Toledo Zoo, and Wild Africa at Binder Park Zoo.

9. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

It's hard to pick a favourite, but Tokyo Sea Life Park's Ocean Voyagers and Osaka Aquarium's Pacific Ocean exhibits are amazing. Never been there, but Monterey Bay's Kelp Forest and Open Sea look amazing.

10. dogman

dogman Active Member

Elephant, bear or hippo exhibit at caberceno, Spain are among the best exhibits around for their vastness and sheer disbelief of numbers of bears 80+
    Granted they will have difficulties in management of the animals etc but just as the wow factors on immediate first impressions.

Orangs at Singapore, all zoos should try and allow this kind of free movement around the park for them.

flying squirrels at Singapore night safari, especially when they’re active.

Burgers bush!

Diegooo and AlmightyKingPrawn like this.
  11. dogman

dogman Active Member

As a collective exhibit though-Asian monorail bronx, entirely world class exhibits

12. Alex Bensky

Alex Bensky Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's been closed since last year. The contractor didn't do a good job and there were leaks. Originally it was set to reopen in June, this has now been pushed back to September, maybe. The penguins are off view in the old Penguinarium. That was going to be turned into a bat conservation center but I haven't heard anything about that for some time and as the zoo is losing a lot of money during the shutdown--they're reopened for limited crowds but it's right now for members only so they're not getting any gate revenue.

13. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Agree. Watching the animals there, at least it is for a few Seconds, is an impressive experience, and I am sure that the Indian rhinos will also appreciate that they have to share an outdoor enclosure alternately. And the elephant enclosure - so great,I think we better not talk about it at all. And last but not last, there will be a good reason why the stables are not visible to visitors..far too good to be shown.

What a pity that you only see the animals for a few months a year. But who the hell goes to the zoo in winter? And I think that the animals feel much more comfortable in their stables and the tiny seperate enclosures than in the display enclosures.

Well, World Class looks different in my and the animals eyes, but that's the world-famous Bronx Zoo. Hey, I forgot Jungle-World-best tapir and leopard exhibits I've ever seen, or do I mistaken it with the worst exhibits for this species I've ever seen ? No-can't be, we are talking about the world famous Bronx Zoo.....more appearance than true quality.;) A world-class Zoo ? Really ? Far away from that. This zoo is not even able to build a new facility for elephants. But I think that's because there's no place there, isn't it? Or do you they have no money ?

But to break a lance for the Bronx Zoo - he is not alone in the USA with it, and Appearance-exhibits have also become a commonplace in Europe.:)

14. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know there are definitely better exhibits I have not seen yet, but I really enjoyed St. Louis Zoo Penguin and Puffin Coast.

CMP likes this.
  15. grevy's zebra

grevy's zebra Well-Known Member

I’m surprised no one mentioned Columbus’s Heart of Africa. My fav. I’ve seen is between Amazonia at Smithsonian or Bronx Zoo’s Congo Gorilla Forest and their monorail.

16. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I can't believe I forgot about Columbus Zoo! Heart of Africa was definitely the most INCREDIBLE zoo exhibit I have seen!

17. grevy's zebra

Exactly! I have wanted to go to Columbus every since I heard about it. Also they have more great exhibits, like the Polar Frontier and the Manatee Coast

Neil chace likes this.
  18. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hmmm, it’s pretty hard to pick my favourite exhibit, but I’d have to say Ocean Voyager at Georgia Aquarium due to the amazing species list (Whale Sharks and Manta Rays!), as well as the sheer size of the tank.

Other contenders would be Living Desert’s Bighorn Sheep exhibit, MOLA at Fort Worth and the Scripps Aviary at San Diego Zoo.

19. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

I would love to go to the Georgia Aquarium some day, it looks incredible!

20. grevy's zebra

My bucket list of zoos includes pretty much almost every American zoo in this thread:
    Georgia Aquarium
    Columbus Zoo
    The Wilds
    The San Diego Zoos
    Detroit Zoo
    Memphis Zoo