Join our zoo community

Best Exhibit for this Species

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Westcoastperson, 22 Feb 2021.

1. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

This is almost like a ranking of different exhibits. The idea is that I say an animal (you can request animals) and we have people reply with exhibits they know about that they believe is the best exhibit ever built for that species. Once a new animal is brought up for discussion DO NOT talk about the old one, this is case by case so do not bring up exhibits after we are done talking about their species. If you are going to bring up and exhibit back it up with reasoning and explain your thought process, don't just say the exhibit give reasons for why it deserves the title best.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2021
  2. Westcoastperson

The first species will be Black-Footed/African/Jackass Penguin. I believe two of the better ones are the San Diego Zoo for theming and the addition of Leopard Sharks and London Zoo because of its size.

3. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

It would be great if commenters explained why they made the exhibit choice they did. More interesting to consider someone's thought process and hierarchy of values than simply the naming their favorite exhibit. If X is your favorite peccary exhibit 1) have you seen it in person; 20 what qualities does it have that inspire you to choose it as The Best?
    Rather as @Westcoastperson just did!

4. Westcoastperson

Thats a good point I was hoping people would do that by themselves but now that I think about it I should probably clarify.

5. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Maryland Zoo, hands down. The AZA award-winning exhibit has a 175,000 gallon pool with tides, channel currents, a wave crash, nesting rooms, etc. There's 360 degree viewing, a room for public encounters, a small area for educational shows, and a building with plenty of underwater viewing, along with a penguin-only hospital area. There's tons of educational signs, as well.

Dayna, 9030, ParathePineapple and 6 others like this.
  6. Westcoastperson

So this one is hard for me to grasp because your right Maryland is an amazing facility but I think San Diego is arguable too. It has 200,000 gallons, goes 13 feet deep, includes a kelp forest, has sharks and fish, includes a massive viewing window, and also won an AZA award. Have you been to both because I've only seen one in person?

7. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've never been to California. Looking at photos, I personally prefer Maryland. They are the focal species for a fairly small city zoo, vs just one of many features like at San Diego.

StoppableSan likes this.
  8. Westcoastperson

I guess that could help because it means the zoo put in more work for that exhibit. After thinking about it aesthetically Maryland does have some advantages and the specific penguin care center does help so I'll give it to Maryland.
    Next species is Takin (Mishmi Sichuan or golden) two of the best I believe are Pairi Daiza with the more naturalistic exhibit and Omaha with great rock work and climbing opportunities.

ParathePineapple likes this.
  9. Westcoastperson

oh if you can also include photos of the exhibit

10. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I love Minnesota's Takin exhibit. Large, quite naturalistic, and plenty of climbing space.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Photos taken by @Milwaukee Man)

No photos of it in winter sadly (I strongly believe that Minnesota is best seen in winter).

11. Westcoastperson

sorry I didn't respond sooner. It is very naturalistic which is always great but for climbing opportunities, it isn't great. It has some slight elevation but I feel like Pairi Daiza has the naturalistic feel of Minnesota with better climbing opportunities.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (second and third photos were by KevinB)

12. Westcoastperson

Ok I'm going to say Pairi Daiza because there doesn't seem to be any other entries.
    The next species should get a few more entries. The North American Grizzly Bear. There are many viable options for this species so go ahead.

13. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Minnesota.

14. Westcoastperson

I did see that when researching the Takin exhibit and I think this exhibit actually does use both natural environment and fake rockwork very well. The glass viewing is pretty good[​IMG]
    And this is a great view into the otter exhibit
    [​IMG]
    And the exhibit itself is just beautiful
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

birdsandbats and Mai Thai like this.
  15. The Cassowary

The Cassowary Well-Known Member

The best grizzly bear exhibit I’ve personally seen is the Memphis Zoo’s.

16. Westcoastperson

Please give reasoning and photos if you can. I provided both for birds and bats because he had already mentioned the zoo once and I believe he was using similar reasoning.

17. The Cassowary

The Cassowary Well-Known Member

The exhibit is very large and spacious, and has a large stream running through the middle of it that ends in a big pool with an underwater viewing window, and the bears frequently use this water feature, especially during the summer months, which makes it great for watching them. The exhibit is also mostly natural substrate, which has allowed the bears the opportunity to dig dens like they would in the wild. It’s easily one of the best exhibits in the zoo.

Westcoastperson likes this.
  18. Westcoastperson

It is actually a very beautiful exhibit with some great architecture on the side[​IMG]
    And it has amazing views
    [​IMG]

Mai Thai likes this.
  19. Westcoastperson

Ok so I think I will give this to Minnesota for its space, natural landscape, and great water features.
    The next species will be the Jaguar. The Jaguar exhibit at the El Paso Zoo. There are no good photos online and zero of any part of the exhibit on zoo chat so I can't include images. It has a large bridge to bring it to the main exhibit, part of the exhibit is a cave that overlooks a large prey exhibit that looks amazing, and has great viewing opportunities.

20. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

Despite not having seen it personally, I think Jaguar Cove at Woodland Park Zoo takes this easily. It’s densely planted with hiding most obvious barriers with their environmental immersion. I have heard it can be difficult to spot the Jaguars but if it means that their home is suitable for their lifestyle and wonderful, that’s what matters mostly to me although we visit zoos to see animals. An honorable mention would be the Jaguar exhibit at the end of the Rainforest of the Americas at the LA Zoo. A significant improvement from their previous home. Utilizes the hillside of the the zoo for an elevated appearance and can give the Jaguars a good vantage point to watch over guests. This is my own point of view of the LA Zoo exhibit when following through the designated route.

Mai Thai and TinoPup like this.