Join our zoo community

Best Exhibit Zones Dedicated to Geographical Area?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Emanuel Theodorus, 14 Feb 2020.

1. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My list, restricted only to exhibits I've actually visited.

1. North America: The North American area at Columbus
    2. South America: Amazon and Beyond at Miami
    3. Africa: Hard to look past the San Diego Safari Park, with Wilds of Africa at Dallas and Congo Gorilla Forest at Bronx as honorable mentions
    4. Asia: Asia Trail at the Smithsonian National Zoo
    5. Europe: Paris Vincennes by default really, I'm pretty sure it's the only European zoo exhibit I've ever seen
    6. Australia: Taronga and Perth are the ones that stick out, outside of Australia probably Toronto.
    7. Arctic/Antarctica: Arctic Ring of Life and the Polk Penguin Center at Detroit

The question has to be asked, have you been to Valencia? I actually enjoyed the zoo more than a lot of people on this forum, but I have quite a few African areas higher than Valencia. Visually the zoo looks very nice and there are some good areas (Madagascar and the Hippo cave), but quite a few of the enclosures lack enrichment and size (apes especially), while there's not much species-wise outside of large mammals. Not a bad place at all, but as someone who's been to Disney and Valencia, Disney's enclosures are a lot better.
    Not entirely sure what you mean by this considering the zoo can't really control whether or not the animals are visible. On my two visits I've seen the Bears easily, underwater though, not so much:p.

savetherhino likes this.
  2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Out of curiosity, which other European collections have you visited other than Paris and Valencia?

3. TZDugong

4 others - Valencia Oceanographic, Bioparc Rome, Barcelona Zoo and Barcelona Aquarium. Only Oceanographic is a real heavy-hitter, but I enjoyed all the zoos! I'll be going to my 7th European facility (Crete Aquarium) in about a month or so. I wonder, have any zoochatters ever been there?

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Interesting - I'd be inclined to suggest that there are a few pretty nice European exhibits at Barcelona too, to be honest.

5. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have - I found it slightly underwhelming given the photos and the fanfare along with the place and the fact that it is entirely new. However, it is still undeniably an excellent representation of African fauna - whether or not they should have been able to do better based on budget etc. is up to you but the fact remains that the African exhibits (not that there are any others of course :p) are very broad and showcase the African continent well.

Scottish Wildcat and TZDugong like this.
  6. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Granted I only say it looks impressive cause I saw the zoo tours video on YouTube

BenFoxster likes this.
  7. itsallfaction

itsallfaction Active Member 10+ year member

I know it might be far from the best
    But still want to show you guys the Taiwan Area in Taipei Zoo
    IMG_2140.JPG IMG_0465.JPG IMG_0389.JPG IMG_4448.JPG IMG_5023.JPG IMG_0240.JPG IMG_2105.JPG

Fallax, Pleistohorse, ZooBinh and 6 others like this.
  8. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

9. Emanuel Theodorus

Emanuel Theodorus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

10. Alex Bensky

Alex Bensky Well-Known Member 10+ year member

11. Alex Bensky

Alex Bensky Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Detroit Zoo penguin exhibit is closed until June...if then. No one has much of an idea of how the virus shutdown is going to affect anything. The contractor did not do a good job in some areas and they were leaking water.

12. Grizzly Hound

Grizzly Hound Well-Known Member

Lost Forest at the San Diego Zoo
    Heart of Africa at the Columbus Zoo
    Asia Quest at the Columbus Zoo
    Arctic Ring of Life at the Detroit Zoo

13. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Arctic Ring of Life is overrated.

14. amur leopard

What about Assiniboine park zoo for the Polar exhibit thing?

15. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think anyway. This complex has been mentioned as really good on several threads lately, and I personally didn't enjoy it as much as other did. The Polar Bear exhibit is simply TOO big, I came several times throughout the day and never saw a bear. The seal and fox exhibits were okay, though.

16. TZDugong

I believe I may have responded to something like this on another thread, but I really don't understand this argument. The whole AROL complex (which includes eating areas, multiple exhibits and the visitor path) is only around 4 acres, meaning the Polar Bear exhibit is big but not even close to being too large. There are also many different viewing areas, both underwater and above-ground. To be honest it seems like you were just unlucky; I had no problem finding a bear and I know many others have seen them as well.
    That exhibit looks great, but I'd imagine very few zoochatters have ever visited.

Alex Bensky likes this.
  17. amur leopard

@snowleopard maintains that that exhibit was better than Arctic Ring of Life.

snowleopard likes this.
  18. TZDugong

Just judging from photos that looks likely, however as I haven't visited Assinibione I'll reserve my judgment.

19. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

From personal experience.

1. North America - North Carolina Zoo (Well done and a good overview of the continent)

2. Amazon and Beyond - Zoo Miami (Excellent, natural, and a wide variety of animals)

3. African Areas - San Diego Safari Park - A beautiful location and just so natural and wild. Overall this entire zoo is my favorite zoo.

4. Either Asia Trail/Elephant Trails - Smithsonian National Zoo (Wonderfully done but a little choppy in my memory as my last visit was maybe 2014?), Asian Highlands - Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo (Blown away by it, the takin exhibit in particular) or Russia's Grizzly Coast (Very cool concept)

5. None

6. Either Koalafornia - San Diego Zoo (Really nicely done but a little to modern, I like things with an older vibe) Or Walkabout Australia - San Diego Safari Park (Went before the platypus arrived, but it was very nicely done)

7. Not sure I've been to any.

20. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Only counting ones i’ve seen:
    1. North America - NC Zoo (80 something acres with a comprehensive collection)
    2. South America - Shedd Aquarium- Amazon Rising
    3. Africa - San Diego Zoo Safari Park (misses out on smaller species and birds though) or NC Zoo (again same issue)
    4. Asia - Bronx Zoo (Between Jungleworld, Monorail and Himalayan highlands you have a great collection especially of asian mammals. Also presents basically the only large asian hoofstock collection in the United States.)
    5. Europe - God I can’t think of any exhibits or even displays for European species.
    6. Antarctica- Seaworld San Diego (simply massive display for penguins)
    7. Australia - San Diego Zoo (not the best complex but little competition)