Join our zoo community

Best exhibits for smaler carnivores

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by GiratinaIsGod, 22 Dec 2020.

1. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

Nowadays, large carnivores get often large and well designed enclosures (in particular big cats, bears and wolfs). While many smaler to medium sized species like smaller feline and cannid species in particular still get the weong end of the stick. They often live in exhibits made decades ago, and even still get today way to smal exhibits. With the exeption of red pandas and mungueses, which most of the time have great exhibits. Which zoos show the right care for these species ?

2. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Buttonwood Park Zoo has a nice exhibit for their bobcat, and also a nice coyote Exhibit. Roger Williams Park Zoo has a nice binturong exhibit. There are also plenty of zoos with really nice exhibits for their otters. I know Capron Park Zoo, Buttonwood Park Zoo, and Roger Williams Park Zoo all have nice North american river otters.

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

I've mentioned it quite a few times on this forum already but I believe that the enclosure for the fishing cats at the Nuremberg Zoo in Germany is exemplary and unrivaled actually.

To me it is truly a model of how zoos should (hopefully in the future) display their small carnivores by providing them with as large and as naturalistic enclosures as those that they provide for their tigers, bears and wolves.

4. BerdNerd

BerdNerd Well-Known Member

San Diego Zoo has great exhibits for Ratels and Fossas at the new Africa Rocks. Both of their exhibits are super tall, and have many bushes for the animals to hide in if they need privacy. I think the Fossa has a rock wall in the back of its exhibit for it to climb on. The Ratel had some sort of burrow or mini shelter for it to sleep in, and unfortunately on my visit, it was hiding in it and was a no-show for me :(

5. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

I would like to nominate the dwarf mongoose exhibit at Henry Doorly