Join our zoo community

Best Indian Rhinoceros enclosure in Benelux

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by britishzoofan, 16 Aug 2020.

?

Best Indian Rhinoceros enclosure in Benelux?

Poll closed 21 Aug 2020.
  1. Planckendael

3.2%
  2. Amersfoort

6.5%
  3. Dierenrijk

74.2%
  4. Rotterdam

16.1%
  1. britishzoofan

britishzoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is just a bit of fun to judge the general consensus on the best enclosure for Indian Rhino's in Benelux I have added a few photos from the gallery to make it easier for members to compare the different exhibits. If anyone wants to make an argument for a particular enclosure, please feel free to do so. Also, I would encourage people to perhaps list the enclosures in order of what they determine to be the best.

Planckendael

[​IMG]

Amersfoort

[​IMG]

Dierenrijk

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rotterdam

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

snowleopard likes this.
  2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Anyone notice the rhino in the Amersfoort photo? I didn't at first... The only one of these I've been to is Rotterdam, from memory I'd probably rate it last of these four from looking at the photos...

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I saw all 4 of these a year ago and my choice for the win is Dierenrijk. I would argue that all 4 exhibits are decent. Planckendael has a spacious, grassy enclosure for rhinos, Amersfoort has a shady habitat with a deep pool, and Rotterdam is aesthetically beautiful with a long yard. However, Dierenrijk's exhibit is brand-new (opened in 2019 and just before my arrival) and it is a mixed species habitat with the rhinos combined with Visayan warty pigs, hog deer and nilgai. There is an eating area for the public adjacent to one side of the enclosure, with great views of all 4 species. The indoor zone has multiple stalls with deep mulch and a pool, as well as at least two large pool/water areas outside. One slight flaw is that it is a mainly open exhibit, lacking as much shade as either Amersfoort or Rotterdam, but in terms of size I think that Dierenrijk is the clear winner.

A few more photos of Dierenrijk:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Food truck area at Dierenrijk overlooking the new exhibit with 4 Asian species:

[​IMG]

4. Choco115

Choco115 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For the first time think none of the enclosures are really bad. My vote:
    4. Rotterdam: indoor is too small, outdoor is big enough and looks great though...
    3. Amersfoort: indoor is terrible, although I absolutely love the outdoor ‘swamp’ exhibit.
    2. Planckendaell: indoor is not accessible so can’t say anything about that, but the outdoor enclosure looks very nice and big.
    1. Dierenrijk: haven’t seen this one in real life yet but on pictures this is the only accessible indoor enclosure that looks big enough, but especially the outdoor looks brilliant on the pictures

5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This one is going to be also Dierenrijk althrough sofar I haven't seen this as only one not in real ( gonna change soon I hope ). From the photos and videos I've seen this is however the best of the 4 enclosures.
    The other 3 I don't know realy how to place them : Rotterdams outdoor looks great but in indoor ( at least the part visiable to the public ) is ways to small and the same is true for the enclosure at Amersfoort with the addition that it's also quite ugly and Planckendaell's outdoor enclosure is also Oke but don't know how their indoor-stable looks like.

britishzoofan likes this.
  6. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The only one I haven't seen in real life is Dierenrijk, but it still got my vote.

7. Blijdorpenaar

Blijdorpenaar Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As a Rotterdam lover, I have to say that the enclosure here isnt that great... The indoor area is way too small and because the water outside is so cold, the animals refuse to dive in as often as they would in nature. This has caused all sorts of foot issues for the female that has lived here for a long time. That, and it doesnt really allow the animals to 'escape' from the public. My vote is for Dierenrijk, definitly.

britishzoofan likes this.
  8. britishzoofan

Score update. Dierenrijk currently have a large lead over Rotterdam in second place with nearly three quarters of the vote. This new addition to Dierenrijk has clearly been a big success.

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Dierenrijk exhibit.

Indoor facilities are OK, not ideal, but certainly not bad. Then again, Rotterdam and Amersfoort complex one can view, just the Mechelen one is out of the general public view.

BTW: visited all 4 zoo, I think I can allow myself to grade.

10. britishzoofan

Poll closed. Congratulations to Dierenrijk on winning the vote for Best Indian Rhinoceros enclosure in Benelux. It was a fairly one sided victory over Rotterdam in second place. This was Dierenrijk's first win in these polls and Rotterdam's best performance so far.

Dierenrijk: 74.2%
    Rotterdam: 16.1%
    Amersfoort: 6.5%
    Planckendael: 3.2%