Join our zoo community

Best Indoor Elephant Exhibits

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by designingzoos, 21 Jan 2013.

1. designingzoos

designingzoos Active Member

Hi all! I'm doing a bit of benchmarking on elephant exhibits and I'm looking for some guidance on the best indoor exhibits around the world. Details as to size are always helpful.

Also, I've got an image in my head of an unknown zoo that I swear I had a photo of, but can't seem to locate it anywhere... Its a large indoor enclosure with glass roof over the community yard. But what's special is that the walls are glass and can be opened in warm weather...similar to Calgary's giraffe. I seem to remember vegetation and rockwork as well. Am I dreaming, or does this exist???

Thanks so much everyone!
    Stacey

Last edited: 21 Jan 2013
  2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Smithsonian National Zoo is renovating their old elephant house to have dirt flooring instead of conrete (and maybe making it larger?). It certainly won't be the best but at least it's better than what they used to have.

Just a question- Does anyone know what Bronx's inside elephant house is like?

~Thylo:cool:

3. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Biggest indoor European exhibits are Cologne and Poznan Nowe Zoo. Haven't seen Poznan myself, but the pictures on the net are impressive. Cologne is simply massive.

One of the better exhibits I've seen, and one that (almost?) matches your discription is Amersfoort. It's a pretty new and a very attractive building, both from the outside looking at it as from inside.

There are more notable exhibits, but these spring to mind immediately.

edit:
    Here's Amersfoorts' details:
    http://www.zoolex.org/zoolexcgi/view.py?id=1243

4. antonmuster

antonmuster Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Last edited: 21 Aug 2014
  5. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zurich and Cologne are in a league of their own, especially Zurich.

Copenhagen has gotten a lot of attention. Hamburg and Leipzig's are quite good.

For the money (as in inexpensive), Cheyenne Mountain got a lot for relatively little.

6. temp

temp Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the person who started this thread isn't interested anymore as she hasn't been on zoochat for a year, but now where other posters reopened the thread......

The new elephant house in Zurich combines the best from Cologne (massive size and indoor pool) with the best from Copenhagen (soft sand floor and glass roof allowing natural light) and Leipzig (underwater viewing). With the addition of large standing tree trunks (as in Amersfoort) and out-of-reach living plants, which make it appear far less barren than most zoo's elephant houses, I think Zurich is in a league of its own. Zurich and Cologne are the largest, followed by Copenhagen and Poznan at about half the size. I believe these are the four largest zoo elephant houses by far (space available to animals, not total building size!).

As far as I know the only immediate "threat" to the clear lead position of Zurich's elephant house is the opening of Oregon Zoos elephant complex. It remains to be seen how it will look when finished.

Last edited: 21 Aug 2014
  7. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. antonmuster

antonmuster Well-Known Member 5+ year member

elephant indoors side-by-side

some of the better elephant indoors of the last ten years, side-by-side.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

interesting that they're all for Asian Elephants. Are there no African Bush Elephant houses of that standard?

~Thylo:cool: