Join our zoo community

Best Jaguar exhibits in the UK

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Komodo99, 12 Jul 2017.

1. Komodo99

Komodo99 Well-Known Member

This thread is to discuss the best exhibits for Jaguars in the UK.Having seen a Jaguar for the second time in my life at a recent trip to Chester Zoo,It got me thinking about what are the other impressive Jaguar exhibits in the UK.The Jaguar exhibit at Chester is a spectacular exhibit with the animals having access to a large outdoor and indoor exhibits with plenty of enrichment provided for them. I'm interested in what people think.

2. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Spirit of the Jags is by far the best Jaguar exhibit I have ever seen. I have visited 3/9 Jaguar holders in the UK (I have visited SL just don't remember the Jags) those being Chester, IOW Zoo and Paradise Wildlife Park.
    I would rank them as follows:
    1. Spirit of the Jaguar (Chester Zoo)
    2. Big Cat Territory (Paradise WP)
    3. Jaguar enclosure (IOW Zoo)

Water Dragon likes this.
  3. Water Dragon

Water Dragon Well-Known Member

Don't worry, if you did it would just be at the bottom of your list anyway :p

bongorob likes this.
  4. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thrigby Hall is listed as a holder, but I don't think they have had one for at least 2 years.

I haven't seen Dartmoor, Wildlife Heritage Foundation, South Lakes or Isle of Wight.

Amazona and Wingham are adequate but nothing special.

Paradise WP is the next best, but Chester is way better.

5. Hettie

Hettie Member

The Jaguar enclosure at the Big Cat Sanctuary, formally known as WHF, is pretty standard for them. The enclosure is nothing amazing however if you go for a photography day you get up close and personal with them.
    Nothing quite like having a jaguar snarl at you from a few inches with only one layer of fences between you!

Komodo99 likes this.
  6. Komodo99

Do you have any photos?I've always wanted to be up close and personal safely with a big cat.

7. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I could be wrong about this as I have only been to Chester on a couple of occassions - but isn't the PWP enclosure superior to SOTJ in terms of climbing opportunities?

8. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

The Dartmoor enclosure is good imo - a lot better than Winghams. I think the only other one I have seen is IOW but it was such a long time ago I really can't remember it.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2017
  9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Dudley don't hold jaguar and I'm not 100% sure that they ever have. If they have had them then it would probably have been in the 1970s and they would have been in the enclosures between the tiger tecton and the Carpathian lynx which is now boarded over and has been converted to sleeping dens for the tigers. Those enclosures were pretty grim.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2017
    pipaluk and MagpieGoose like this.
  10. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Doh - I meant Dartmoor! I'll edit my original post.

Water Dragon likes this.
  11. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I don't think anything touches Chester.

12. Water Dragon

Spirit of the Jaguar is probably one of the best in Europe

13. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Without doubt the best in the UK! I've only seen zoo Di Pistoia & zoo Berlin which both were worse than Any others I've seen in Uk!

14. Komodo99

It's nice to see what everyone thinks at the moment.Has anyone ever been up close with a jaguar or had a breath taking experience with one while you have been at a zoo?

15. Water Dragon

It was breath-taking enough seeing the Jaguars swimming in SotJ. I saw one up close last year when I was in Salzburg.

16. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The jaguar at Amazona Zoo tried to grab my GoPro back in 2015, that was pretty intense. We did a photography taster at the Big Cat Sanctuary Open Day last july, and chose the jaguars, was good to get close and video.

Water Dragon likes this.
  17. Komodo99

18. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The enclosure at Randers Regnskov in Denmark has underwater viewing (or did). I'm trying to get there to see for myself.

19. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Digressing from jaguars in the UK, my most breath-taking experience with jaguars in a zoo was at Jacksonville Zoo where the jaguar exhibit included a large pond with underwater viewing that provided a spectacular opportunity to see the jaguars swimming.

On my visit in 2009, a melanistic jaguar repeatedly dived into the water attempting to catch one of the enormous pacu kept in the pool. (I felt very sorry for the pacu which never had any respite from the jaguar's constant attention.)

The jaguar didn’t catch a fish whilst I was watching but a regular visitor informed me that the black jaguar sometimes caught a pacu and, when successful, always shared the catch with her sister, a spotted jaguar, who never managed to catch a fish.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2017
    pipaluk, sooty mangabey and Komodo99 like this.
  20. Komodo99

At least this encourages natural hunting behaviour like they would do in the wild. Did you take any photos?