Join our zoo community

Best mammals for Ambassador programs?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Neil chace, 11 Mar 2021.

1. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Many different species of animals are used by zoos in Ambassador programs, including many species of reptile, bird, and mammal. I personally believe these programs can be hugely beneficial, and are some of the highlights of their zoo visit for many visitors. Seeing Ambassador animals can truly teach visitors to appreciate wildlife in a way that seeing the same species through glass would never do. What mammal species do people consider to be the best candidates for animal Ambassador programs and why?

2. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Perhaps the species should be those associated with the zoo in question. Examples would be the Arabian oryx for Phoenix Zoo in Arizona.

twilighter likes this.
  3. Neil chace

Yet Arabian Oryx are not a safe choice for an Ambassador animal- it needs to be something that can safely be handled in a classroom full of children. Species traditionally used include rabbits, ferrets, chinchillas, skunks, armadillos, fennec foxes, and many more.

4. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Or Matschie's Tree Kangaroo in Woodland park.

5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

I would say that some of the unusual and preferably endangered small mammal species that your average visitor wouldn't have known existed prior to meeting them seem like the best ambassadors.

I think there is a lot of potential with these kinds of species in terms of broader environmental education and raising awareness of species conservation.

I truly believe that meeting ambassador species can be a formative experience for many visitors and particularly children.

One species that comes to mind as being highly suitable would be the brush tailed bettong / "woylie", I think it ticks most if not all of the boxes in terms of being critically endangered, highly unusual, unknown to the public and seems to possess a docile / manageable temperament.

I also like what you do in your work as an environmental educator with the black footed ferret as an ambassador species (incredibly important species to introduce to the US public with such an optimistic conservation backstory).

Last edited: 11 Mar 2021
  6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Another that comes to mind would be the Brazilian three banded armadillo.

7. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The ones I work with include:
    Virginia Opossum
    Black-footed Ferret
    Domestic Ferret
    Madagascar Lesser Tenrec
    Pygmy Hedgehog
    Chinchilla
    Degu
    Three-banded Armadillo
    Striped Skunk
    Two-toed Sloth
    North American Porcupine
    American Beaver
    Domestic Rat
    Domestic Rabbit
    Generally easy to handle animals that have great educational and conservation messaging work best IMO but many other species are used. Other zoos have programs with cats such as cheetahs, servals, and bobcats. I’ve even seen warthogs used.

8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Sorry for that @Echobeast !

I think I mistook you with @Neil chace , I know you both work in zoos and I must have just got confused.

No offence intended.

9. Neil chace

Armadillos (of any species) are definitely a common choice for these programs, and for good reason. They are safe for visitors to touch, are a manageable size, and are easily acquired in the AZA. Is there a reason you suggest Three-banded over Nine-banded or six-banded armadillos?

10. Neil chace

I've heard of beavers being used but have never seen it. This seems like a really cool possibility for Ambassador programs. How well do the Beavers work in programs?

BenFoxster likes this.
  11. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Sorocaba zoo had a sub-adult hand reared giant anteater (on a short leash) as an ambassador species with visiting schools for some time.

I thought it was highly pertinent from an environmental education point of view given the threats the species faces in the wild here in SP state and the need to raise awareness of this.

However, I thought it was very unsuitable in terms of safety risks and particularly as this individual though normally sweet natured could be quite temperamental at times and get "punchy" if irritable.

12. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Definitely agree, they are an excellent choice.

Yes, I think the three banded because it is more charismatic (more endearing too?) , more endangered and has a more interesting story (its rediscovery as a "Lazarus species" in 1990, ability to roll into a complete ball and role as the World cup mascot) .

13. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Would a prehenshile-tailed porcupine make a good ambassador? They seem to be quite easily tamed, and Gerald Durrell was in awe of them. Looking closely, their faces are rather funny.

14. Echobeast

It seems to depend on the individual animal. Ours hasn’t gone off site but she does on site programs including paintings and such. Very tolerant to people petting her and she goes on regular supervised walks outside her habitat.

15. Echobeast

They seem to be a common species kept in ambassador programs and I know many people who have worked with them in the past.

16. Neil chace

That's a very odd choice for an Ambassador. I've heard of Tamandua and Aardvark being used, but never a Giant Anteater. Even if it is a sub-adult, there is still a significant safety risk there.

17. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I think they are fascinating animals and as @Echobeast states it would probably work with some individuals.

Personally I've found them to be a bit temperamental at times but then again the ones I worked with years back were not tame.

I watched this video of one of these used as an ambassador and it didn't seem so at ease (could of been so many reasons for it though, maybe just a bad day)

18. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yep , my thoughts exactly.

I should say it was only for a brief period and was discontinued.

19. Neil chace

That's good. Probably similar to a lot of "cub petting" programs, where there is a very slim period of time in which people can interact with the young animal.

20. Onychorhynchus coronatus

There wasnt really any handling of him by the public fortunately.

It was more like he was taken out in front of a group of school children (who were positioned at a distance and told to keep as quiet as possible and not to raise their voices) on a harness and short leash.

Westcoastperson likes this.