Join our zoo community

Best murals / mosaics at zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 10 Jan 2021.

1. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Mosaic style murals at the Staten Island zoo:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Photo credits to @TinoPup.

TinoPup likes this.
  2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Short video on the creation of the Sumatran orangutang mural art at Jersey zoo, UK:

Gigit likes this.
  3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Interesting (to say the least) seal mural and viewing window into common seal exhibit at Odense zoo, Sweden:
    [​IMG]

Photo credit to @FunkyGibbon.

4. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Apparently these are not in the zoo but rather in the station close by but I thought these murals at Frankfurt were quite interesting and worth sharing in the thread:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Photo credits to @nikola.

Gigit and Hammy like this.
  5. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

There are some murals of fish and other aquatic life at the nearest train station to Tokyo Sea Life Park, I didn't think to take any photos sadly.

6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

No worries, maybe next time you are in Tokyo , or perhaps a Japanese zoochatter could take some ?

DaLilFishie likes this.
  7. DaLilFishie

I highly doubt I will be back in Tokyo anytime soon, sorry. If I ever end up there again I'll see if I can get some pictures (In that situation I'd probably end up going back to TSLP, it's certainly worth a revisit IMO)

8. OstrichMania

OstrichMania Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If memory serves me correctly, I think I saw a YouTube walkthrough of Akron Zoo, and I think they had some mosaics. I'll see if I can get the video and the timestamp.

9. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

When I was last at Jersey this was a work in progress so I've never seen it finished. It was very interesting watching the skill of the artists. Orangutan, Dagu, seemed to be getting a lot of enjoyment out of watching them too!

10. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Wow! Eye popping!

11. OstrichMania

OstrichMania Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here's the YouTube clip, the timestamp for the murals is 5:42. I think it's recorded inside the Capybara shelter.

12. DaLilFishie

Oh here we go, I found a picture from a Youtube video. This isn't all of it, most if not all of the station has murals like this but I couldn't find images of the rest.
    upload_2021-2-1_20-1-4.png

13. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I love these kind of subway murals , I'm a firm believer that we need to decorate our concrete urban hells with beautiful imagery and art.

14. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thanks for sharing @OstrichMania !

So this is a curious one, not sure I like it too much but I'll explain why.

The exhibit looks to be themed on Mayan archeological site with elements of sites like Palenque, Copan, Tikal and Chichen Itza (which was actually Toltec not Mayan but commonly lumped with Mayan site).

The mural that you mention is definitely based on ancient Mayan murals and looks to be copied from the archeological site of Bonampak in Mexico in particular.

So the reason why I find this kind of exhibit problematic is that it is biogeographically incorrect as the animal in the exhibit is not from the region where the Mayans occurred. The capybara is found in lower Central America (Panama) and of course South America whereas the Mayan civilization ruled from present day Mexico to Honduras.

15. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Lol , doesn't suprise me at all, orangs are such intelligent creatures and seem to be always observing human happenings from the corner of their eyes.

16. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I love the way if you're holding up an 'Interesting Thing', they'll sidle over as if they've got to check on some window sealant or something just beyond you and have a crafty look! Some are more blatant and will sit in front of you waiting to be entertained. Gorillas also look at you without looking at you! Wonderfully intriguing creatures.

17. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Absolutely agree, I think that the orangutang seems to be the most observant of the great apes, or at least that is what is what I've seen with these animals in zoos.

18. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Definitely. There's evidence of them aping keepers in zoo, for example washing windows when supplied with a bucket and sponge. And they know what keys and tools are for. There's well known footage of orangs in rehab centres in Borneo washing clothes, sawing wood and rowing boats.

19. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I've heard of them picking locks and short circuiting the elecric fences of enclosures too which really highlights how incredible their level of intelligence is.

I remember particularly the orangutang brothers at Chapultepec zoo, Toto and Jambi, and how observant they were of the visitors and of their keepers, they were astoudingly intelligent animals.

The Cassowary and Gigit like this.
  20. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nice mural at the nursing room / toilets at Dierenrijk Nuenen - the Netherlands :

IMG_8655 nursing room toilets dierenrijk Zoochat.jpg