Join our zoo community

Best Photo of ZooChat 2021: The Nominations

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by birdsandbats, 2 Jan 2022.

1. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

I mean, personally I think the shots are pretty different but I'm fine with your decision. They are different tigers. . . .;)

TNT likes this.
  2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I don't think you know how to read the EXIF data. The dates can be inaccurate if the camera date is set wrong, but in the case of these photos (at least the ones I looked at just now) the date the photo was taken as per the EXIF data is not the same as the upload date. E.g. the hummingbird photo is dated as being taken the month before it was uploaded.

3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Maybe I don't know how to read it then. How are you getting that date?

4. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hey everybody, I’m so sorry I haven’t been really active much in weeks. My signal here in Canada is very spotty but I was able to check notifications at least without much problem and now have a decent wifi connection too :oops: I want to thank you all for considering my photos and am truly joyful that my fellow Zoochatters enjoy my work, this has made my day :) I saw the deadline just passed for submitting fellow nominations, would it be possible if I can nominate a couple by tonight? I’m leaving for the day but will be back in a few hours with a proper connection :oops: Once again, thank you all for considering my work amongst some of the greats on here. It’s an honor, truly.

betsy, TheGerenuk and IndianRhino like this.
  5. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I'm confused by your confusion. I went through all of the photos I'd saved for possible nomination this year using the instructions you gave me, and I was able to identify a few that had different dates for year taken vs year uploaded. Most of them (maybe all of them) had different days for taken vs uploaded at least. One or two of them didn't have any identifiable EXIF data, but other than that it worked fine for me.

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I suspect you are looking at the actual upload date.

On the hummingbird photo (https://www.zoochat.com/community/media/wild-costas-hummingbird.525073/) where it just says "Date 2 May 2021" that is the upload date to Zoochat. Further down (under "EXIF Data") where it says "Date / Time" followed by "2021:04:14 21:54:20" that is when the photo was taken. i.e. the 14th of April 2021.

The date and time recorded in the EXIF Data can be wrong if the setting on the camera is incorrect (the time of 9.54pm on that photo sounds wrong, for example), but regardless the upload date is different from the EXIF Data's date for when the photo is taken.

Julio C Castro likes this.
  7. birdsandbats

Weird. I just tried it again and I see that date now. Maybe it's the different computer?

Regardless, the vote will be up at some point today.

8. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

The time was wrong for sure and that’s my mistake, the photo was taken on that day but around 10 AM at the SDZ Safari Park. The settings changed after doing the firmware updates for the camera and lens prior to my visit :oops:

9. birdsandbats

10. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Film won't have exif, for example ;)

11. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I looked through the photos I've uploaded and apparently the ones taken with my phone recently don't have EXIF either.

12. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You can turn it off on your phone or camera, as well.

Coelacanth18 likes this.