Join our zoo community

Best Seal Exhibit

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Mai Thai, 8 Dec 2020.

1. Mai Thai

Mai Thai Well-Known Member

What do you think is the best seal exhibit? I would like to stay away from sea lions and just do seals.

2. Bisonblake

Bisonblake Well-Known Member

Maybe a little biased considering it's my home zoo, but I love the Detroit Zoo's seal exhibit. It has a great predator and prey display making it look like the polar bears could come right over to the seals. I always enjoy walking through the tunnel. This is one of the exhibits I look forward to every time I visit

NSU42 and Mai Thai like this.
  3. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

The californian sealion exhibit at the Zoom Erlebniswelt in Gelsenkirchen has a very good exhibit. In size, how it looks (very naturally) and the underwater windows/ underwater tunel give a great view on the animals. The Zoo would by far be one of Germany top zoos in sense of exhibits. The only problem is that it doesn't have to many particular rare/endangered species. Mostly the animals you would expect.

German Zoo World and Mai Thai like this.
  4. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Warsaw zoo has a pool where the record number if grey seals in a zoo were born (well over 100). It is actually one of the oldest exhibits in the zoo, without underwater viewing or theming. But it has lots of space, lots of dry land, and held a large group of about 8 adult seals. It is freshwater (but grey seals live in the near-freshwater Baltic), and often freezes in winter, with the seals using the man-made openings.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Dec 2020
  5. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

St. Louis Zoo- yes there are sea lions as well, but a superb Exhibit for all pinnipeds. In terms of collection, Mystic Aquarium is the best I've seen. The exhibit is nothing special, but has spotted, fur, and harbor seals.

JVM, NSU42 and Mai Thai like this.
  6. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would be curious if there were new thoughts on this subject. I was about to start a similar thread and found this one.

I don't feel any of the seal or pinniped exhibits I have seen would be in the running for the best in the country at all so far. I'm not sure if I can include or rank Denver since the seal exhibit was holding sea lions at the time. Brookfield is probably the most technically superior I've seen but from a visitor perspective I enjoy Lincoln Park's exhibit far more, and it's always interesting to see the gray and harbor seals mixed.

I'm hoping to see St. Louis' exhibit within the next couple of months though.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  7. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There's really no need, in terms of exhibitry, to separate seals from sea lions. The needs of these animals are so similar that most of the exhibits I've seen for the two are extremely similar in style and layout. Sea lion exhibits tend to be slightly larger, and it seems as though in recent years more zoos have invested in sea lions (or mixed-species pinniped exhibits with both), but the basic principles of pinniped exhibits would be the same regardless of whether seals or sea lions will ultimately be displayed.

JVM likes this.
  8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

Just seals? That limits out a lot of really great habitats that hold both seals and sea lions. I guess SeaWorld Orlando may be pretty good. Their seal/sea lion area (Pacific Point Preserve) is better, but it holds both sea lions and seals whereas the Wild Arctic area only holds seals. I believe they are in the previous polar bear habitat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Neil chace likes this.
  9. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I've visited more than 500 different zoos, but looking exclusively at my Scandinavian road trip last summer, here are some splendid seal exhibits:

Nordsoen Oceanarium (Denmark) - exhibit with Grey Seals and Harbour Seals:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boras Zoo (Sweden) - exhibit with Grey Seals and Harbour Seals:

[​IMG]

Kolmarden Zoo (Sweden) - exhibit for Cape Fur Seals, Grey Seals and Harbour Seals

[​IMG]

10. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Omaha.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  11. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

Omaha, North Carolina, and a few others are quite nice - Omaha being the "gold standard" for now. National and Columbus's sea lion/seal displays are disappointing, IMO. SeaWorld Orlando's Pacific Point Preserve is quite nice, but no under water viewing.

birdsandbats likes this.
  12. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well, I was going to start a new thread for 'best pinniped exhibits' generally, but I thought it might look repetitious to this existing thread, and I knew I wasn't going to be saying anything too special. I'm not personally troubled by whether anything holds seals or sea lions.

Appreciate the beautiful photos, guys. Good to know Omaha is the one to beat.

SwampDonkey likes this.