Join our zoo community

Best small zoo?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Shirokuma, 3 Sep 2009.

1. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The exhibits are nicely done. The collection is limited to native European wildlife with the exceptions of Sika Deer and Raccoons.

I enjoy zoos that simulate as much as possible a plausible ecology. Gangelt manages this (at least for mammals).

Other than Otters, Reindeer, and Golden Jackels, and Brown Hares...most widespread European mammals are present. I believe Marmonts and wild Red Squirrels are the only rodents though. Rabbits (domestic) were present in the little farmyard.

A few domestic species were present. Among them Horses (of the recreated Tarpan morph). No Aurochs...

Predators from Brown Bears to Wild Cats.

Birds were pretty much restricted to several species of raptor and owls.

It was the nearest Wildpark to my home at the time and while I visited several in Belgium and Germany...it was also my favorite (although the one outside Hanau came close).

It was a very pleasant place to spend an hour or a day. I heartedly recommend a visit if you are in the area.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  2. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

For me, the best small zoo that I've visited is Terrarium Prague. All inside a single building, but it host several speces, mainly reptiles, some of them very rare in collections, also some rare small mammals. Unfortunately, the most interesting ones was behind the scenes.

3. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

Győr
    Jihlava
    Görlitz