Join our zoo community

Best Tiger enclosure/complex in Australasia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jambo, 16 Jul 2022.

?

Which zoo in Australasia has the best tiger complex?

1. Auckland Zoo

47.4%
  2. Wellington Zoo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Australia Zoo

5.3%
  4. Taronga Zoo

26.3%
  5. Adelaide Zoo

21.1%
  6. Hamilton Zoo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So, I was taking a look at photos of mine of Taronga's amazing Sumatran Tiger complex the other day, and I was thinking to myself that it must be one of the best tiger complex in the region. But is it? I'm interested in your opinions.

These sort of polls do interest me, so I may get around to posting more of this nature.

2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Auckland Zoo

My vote is for Auckland Zoo’s complex. They have the second largest complex in the region (1500m2 versus Taronga’s 2000m2), but the use of space is more efficient - with none of the kitsch Taronga’s includes.

The complex links really nicely to the rest of the South East Asian precinct, with the trail leading through the immersive tiger viewing shelter to the tropical dome, boardwalk and orangutan exhibit.

The three exhibits (small, medium and large) will allow the zoo to manage up to seven or eight tigers and the overhead tunnels are a unique feature within Australasia - with one providing an interspecies interaction with the Asian-small clawed otter.

Small exhibit: Medium exhibit: Large exhibit: Tiger/Otter Interaction:

3. Jambo

Wellington Zoo

[​IMG]

Not the best photo, but this was all I could find.

Patrick Keegan likes this.
  4. Zoofan15

Wellington Zoo’s exhibit was looking very dated on my last visit. I would definitely rate Hamilton Zoo’s complex (two tiger exhibits - each with a night house and holding yards) higher than Wellington’s - though behind Auckland’s.

These are photos I’ve taken of Hamilton’s exhibit:

Hamilton Zoo

Large exhibit:

upload_2022-7-16_23-35-52.jpeg
    upload_2022-7-16_23-36-15.jpeg

Small exhibit:

upload_2022-7-16_23-36-38.jpeg

steveroberts, snowleopard and Jambo like this.
  5. Jambo

Australia Zoo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Jambo

Adelaide Zoo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Jambo

Taronga Zoo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

steveroberts and Patrick Keegan like this.
  8. Jambo

Thanks! I edited the poll and added Hamilton right before you posted. I do agree though, Hamilton have nice, spacious enclosures.

Patrick Keegan likes this.
  9. Jambo

In my opinion, these are the six in order of best to worst:

Auckland, Taronga, Adelaide, Australia, Hamilton, and finally Wellington.

Auckland and Taronga have new complexes, each consisting of more than one enclosure.

Adelaide's is a little older, but is very lush with a lot of vegetation, giving it a wonderful forest feeling. Space wise though, it's not beating Auckland and Taronga.

Hamilton has a lot of space. I'd love to see more vegetation in their enclosures though. And as you've said, re. Wellington, the enclosures are getting quite dated, although they still are planted decently.

Honourable mentions go to Melbourne and Perth. Melbourne was very close to being added, but ultimately fell short due to one of their enclosures being dated, and both being rather small.

10. Zoofan15

My Assessment of Australasia’s Tiger Exhibits

Each complex has a different appeal for me:

Auckland make the most efficient use of space, use overhead tunnels and link the exhibit nicely to the rest of the precinct - especially the otter exhibit that one of the overhead tunnels passes over).

Taronga have the largest complex and an extensive den system that allows them to hold a large number of tigers (eight). Like Auckland, it’s very immersive.

Adelaide have the most naturalistic exhibit compared to the other contenders. The vegetation is dense and offers the cats privacy, while presenting as an aesthetically pleasing exhibit.

Hamilton have a spacious exhibit with a large pool, surrounding the central viewing hut. The exhibit (21 years old) has aged well and is in need of little refurbishment. The vegetation used to be denser, but visitors complained at never seeing the tigers.

Australia have an architectural vibe to their exhibit, which illustrates the temple theme nicely. They have large viewing windows including underwater views of the pool.

Wellington have a pretty average exhibit let’s be honest. However, I appreciate it in a historical context, knowing it’s housed this species for 30 years and knowing that many of the region’s tigers descend from their original breeding pair (Jambi and Cantic). I like standing on the viewing platform and looking over at the second exhibit (now off display and hidden from view), knowing what I once saw as a child what has now been consigned to history.

Honourable mention goes to Orana Wildlife Park’s complex, which wasn’t the most inspiring complex aesthetically, but comprises three exhibits with a capacity of five tigers.

11. Zoofan15

I also just wanted to say this is a great idea for a thread. I’ve been working on a post assessing the best great ape exhibits of Australasia for a while now, but making it into a poll is a better idea as it allows others to contribute their opinion and insight. Therefore I will adjust my idea of an ape exhibit comparison thread to a poll like this one - stay tuned! :cool:

I’m sure we can look forward to an elephant exhibit one from you down the line too. Though the 2022 winner will be relegated to second place come 2024 #Werribee :D

12. Jambo

Thanks! I was actually planning to include more threads of this nature.

Can't wait to see your great ape thread! And yes, and elephant thread was planned. I'll probably end up doing a lot of these polls, say every week or so.

steveroberts and Zoofan15 like this.
  13. Zoofan15

Sounds great! I’m just putting together a planning thread for the concept so we can pre-plan ideas without clashing and so other people can suggest species they want to see polls on.

steveroberts likes this.
  14. Jambo

Alright sounds good!

15. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

This is a great idea for a thread and I already cast my vote. I appreciate the informative analysis and photos.

Zoofan15 and Jambo like this.
  16. Jambo

Cheers.

I thought this would be a fun and interactive way to analyse all of the best enclosures our region has to offer.

17. Jambo

The plan is for me to announce the official winner next Thursday. As it gives everyone around a week to vote.

Myself and @Zoofan15 will then get another poll up next Friday.

Zoofan15 likes this.
  18. Abbey

Abbey Well-Known Member

I selected Auckland Zoo, as I'm pretty convinced by the reasons which @Zoofan15 gave, especially when considering the tiger complex in the context of the Wild Indonesia precinct.

That said, one of my favourite features of Taronga's complex is the large fig tree in the third exhibit on the Tiger Trek loop (known, naturally, as the fig tree exhibit). It is quite an amazing sight to see a tiger climbing around the branches with ease. This exhibit also has a small pool, which I've seen tigers utilise on a hot day.

I'd also give a dark horse vote to the National Zoo and Aquarium. It's not the best exhibit, but has the capacity for 6 tigers I believe across four exhibits, and they are mostly quite large with lots of viewing opportunities. If all the tigers held were Sumatrans, I think that it would rank higher, although 4 of the 6 are generic hybrids.

19. Zoofan15

Wow, that fig tree is a stunning feature. You should enter that picture in the zoo photos that could have been take in the wild thread (Find zoo photos which could be taken in the wild!), as it really does bring a touch of Indonesia to the complex. Tigers love a vantage point - either natural or artificial (Hamilton Zoo have wooden viewing platforms that are well used).

I was thinking about the National Zoo’s tiger population the other day. They’ve had a long standing history of taking on hybrids, but long term it’d be nice to see them focus purely on the Sumatrans. Neither of their 1.1 breeding pairs saw success and their tigress in now post reproductive, so ideally a new breeding pair would replace the hybrids tigers in time. The youngest hybrid females are five years old, so unless a wildlife park/small zoo wishes to receive via a transfer, I doubt they’ll be going anywhere soon.

Patrick Keegan and Abbey like this.
  20. Jambo

Yes, I do love that tree. I've seen the cubs (not so much cubs anymore!) climbing the tree, and they enjoy lying on the branch. The third enclosure has to be the most forested exhibit of the whole trail, and my personal favuorite.

The second enclosure (with the jeep) is a little bit too open and boring; although it does give you a nice up close view of the tigers.

The first enclosure is also great, combined with the giant pool (which you can see Kembali cooling off in my profile pic!) and the rocky ledges at the back of the enclosure.