Join our zoo community

Best Tiger Exhibits in the US

Discussion in 'United States' started by GraysonDP, 16 Jun 2015.

1. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

Fortunately for tigers, a fair amount of modern exhibits have been built for the animals in recent decades. Every year it seems at least a few new ones open in America's zoos, replacing the grottos that used to plague them. I'm curious what fellow zoochatters regard as the best tiger exhibits in the country. Of the ones I've seen, here are my favorites:
    1. Bronx Zoo- This one has it all. Tiger Mountain is the perfect habitat for Siberian tigers: it's got water for them to swim, space for them to walk, rocks for them to sit on, balls for them to play with, and trees to create a naturalistic environment. Add to this the visitor's perspective: they're surrounded by tigers and get the perfect view at their interesting behavior. While naturalistic enough, the Wild Asia enclosure provides a less satisfying visitor experience. I wouldn't mind if the tiger(s) in there were relocated to Tiger Mountain and the habitat was used to make more space for the elephants, rhinos, and/or hoof stock.
    2. Animal Kingdom- My one beef about this one is it's much more of a grasslands habitat than a forest habitat and I wish it had a lot more trees. However, it is one of the largest tiger exhibits I've seen and it has plenty of room for them to roam and elevation for them to climb. It has a temple ruin in the middle full of water for them to swim.
    3. San Diego Zoo- A very lush exhibit recreating a forest environment. It's well planted and has trees for the tigers to walk and climb on.
    4. Columbus Zoo- Excellent facility for tigers with multiple enclosures for them to choose. The Asian-themed details give authenticity to this exhibit and provide a great viewing experience.
    5. Zoo Miami- A large exhibit complete with an abandoned temple. The moat is well incorporated into the enclosure.
    6. Memphis Zoo- Detailed, carefully designed exhibit full of enrichment opportunities. A visually attractive one as well.
    7. Dallas Zoo- Trees and bamboo are prevalent in this elusive exhibit. It takes the visitor and the tiger into a hidden corner of an Asian rainforest and does so believably.
    8. Cincinnati Zoo- This one is a little too grottoesque for my tastes but the zoo has a solid tiger program and has great success at breeding them in the past. Overall the exhibit is pretty good and does a decent job at providing for the needs of the cats.
    9. Fort Worth Zoo- The waterfall is the standout feature of this exhibit. Not the largest tiger exhibit but an attractive one and one with good viewing opportunities.
    10. San Diego Safari Park- Rainforest enclosures aren't really the specialty of this park known for its field exhibits but the tiger exhibit is definitely satisfactory.

2. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Man, all these best of the best threads. Can you cool with all these spammy-esque threads? Having no chill isn't cool. Enthusiasm is welcomed but excessive posting and looking for concensus amongst the members isn't needed. Maybe, if it wasn't based solely in the United States, it may be more appealing. If you can't or haven't seen those. Fine. Maybe make one thread and ask for thoughts. After a time period, maybe, just maybe, you can make a poll of sorts. Also, your descriptions sounds snowleopard-esque or from a book. Chill.

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member Premium Member

@Gulo Gulo: Sounding "snowleopard-esque" is now a phrase? Interesting...:)

@GraysonDP: I like your list but there are many other great tiger exhibits across the United States. Just for example, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo has an incredibly lush habitat; Dakota Zoo has a very large enclosure with a pop-up viewing bubble; Utah's Hogle Zoo has the superb Asian Highlands feline exhibits. Perhaps best of all is the largest tiger complex in North America, which is found at Minnesota Zoo. There are two enclosures seen by the public totaling 3 acres in size, with many varying vantage points to locate the Amur tigers.

4. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

I want to see Minnesota's tiger exhibit really badly.

5. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member

The Alaska Zoo's Amur Tiger exhibit is very nice. They basically threw up a a fence around a plot of coastal Taiga...and added tigers!

I visited Dallas and Fort Worth today. I thought Dallas' Sumatran Tiger exhibit was beautifully done. Fort Worth was nice as well, but I preferred Dallas, just because I have not seen such an effective attempt at creating a tropical forest illusion in an exhibit for a tiger before. Although more traditionally Zoo-y...Fort Worth did leave me with the impression of being in a rocky hill forest in south east Asia. But Dallas in my book was just stunning.

6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Moderator Staff Member

If those I have personally seen:

1) San Diego Safari Park
    2) Minnesota Zoo
    3) Dallas Zoo
    4) Cheyenne Mountain Zoo

7. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Jacksonville Zoo's new(ish) Tiger trails is an innovation for tigers (it isn't really similar to Philadelphia, I believe).
    Any thoughts on how it fits in?

8. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member

From what I have seen I would say Columbus Zoo, Rosamond Gifford Zoo, and Virginia Zoo are my top 3. But I have many big zoos yet to visit!