Join our zoo community

Best U.S. gorilla exhibit...?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by wyldjaguar, 2 Jun 2012.

1. wyldjaguar

wyldjaguar Well-Known Member

While I feel I occasionally have to defend the honor of my hometown Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, I do hope one of the improvements for their new Master Plan is for an updated gorilla exhibit. I've seen some very nice enclosures during my zoo tours across America - I'd love to see something created that has the outdoor features of a Cincinnati Zoo or San Diego Wild Animal Park, coupled with indoor holding like the Toledo Zoo, where patrons could comfortably lounge and appreciate the apes during icy winter months. (Additional, personal appreciation also go to the Columbus and San Diego Zoos' outdoor facilites and the National Zoo's indoor housing.)

...which leads me to ask my fellow zoo-groupies: what U.S. gorilla enclosures have you personally enjoyed or would "copy" if creating your own zoo?

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If you do a search for "gorilla exhibit" you will find a great deal of discussion here about what makes for an excellent gorilla exhibit and where the best ones are.

The Bronx Zoo Congo Gorilla Forest, Disney Animal Kingdom gorilla exhibit, and the gorilla exhibit at the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle are highly regarded and cited as models of gorilla exhibit excellence. At the other end of the spectrum the Buffalo Zoo and Brookfield Zoo indoor gorilla exhibits are frequently criticized as being models of bad gorilla exhibits. In between there are dozens of gorilla exhibits that people have varying degrees of opinion about.

The exhibits that you cite, Smithsonian National and the San Diego Wild Animal Park, both are quite old and lack the naturalism of more modern exhibits. I think in terms of size, enrichment, and animal care they are both good and I have enjoyed watching gorillas in both of these exhibits. I suspect that if these exhibits were built today that they would probably be built to resemble something much more naturalistic, but I think that they still provide good homes for the gorillas that live there.

3. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Animal Kingdom has the best one. It looks very natural. Omaha has some good ones as well for indoor viewing.

4. wyldjaguar

wyldjaguar Well-Known Member

@David - thank you for the somewhat-condescending reply. I am aware of the extremes (and will argue that "dated does not always mean deficient"). I'm sure if AZA institutions could pour millions of dollars into renovations and new exhbitry, they would, but you know that funding is always a difficult thing. My (albeit quick) search for the topic in the threads returned some dated entries, hence my updated question. I guess my inquiry is targeted more-toward those "in-between" exhibits of which you speak. In fact, you never really answered the question - yes, I am already aware the three you mention are highly-regarded, but are these personal favorites? Which one would choose as the model for your personal zoological garden?

...and I have seen the Animal Kingdom gorilla exhibit and am remiss for forgetting to include it as one of my favorites in my initial post! Apologies!

@ elefante - I have a friend who has been to Omaha and spoke highly of it, but have not had the opportunity to personally visit yet. Thanks for the feedback.

5. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bronx's gorilla exhibit is fantastic and incredibly natural. While I don't think there is indoor exhibit viewing for the gorillas, I have heard that their indoor area is one of the best in the world, like their outdoor exhibit. DAK and Busch Gardens Tampa also have good ones.

6. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

wyldjaguar, I did not mean to be condescending but was summarizing what the common positions on gorilla exhibits seem to be here based on previous discussions. There is no need to be rude in your reply.

I personally really like the National Zoo and San Diego exhibits. They are not modern spectaculars like Congo Forest or DAK, but they seem to have happy groups of gorillas. The new Los Angeles Zoo gorilla exhibit is more like these exhibits than Congo Forest. Some people here really despise the LA exhibit because it isn't a lush jungle, but I think it is pretty good.

As much as I think the above zoos have decent gorilla exhibits I have to say that the most amazing gorilla watching that I've done is at the Bronx Zoo and DAK. The panoramic reveal of the gorillas after the movie screen lifts and reveals the gorillas was amazing. Even more amazing was seeing a gorilla at DAK tromping along a forested pathway, looking like it was in the middle of a Central African rain forest.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2012
  7. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

I've always taken a liking to the gorilla exhibit at Zoo Atlanta. Not sure if they still do, but they did have one of the largest collections of gorillas at one point. Opened nearly 24 years ago, the exhibit is still going strong. Not to mention, the Vet at Zoo Atlanta, Dr. Murphy-Weston founded and leads the Gorilla Cardiac Database, as well as other projects leading to better lives for all gorillas in captivity, not just the ones at Zoo Atlanta. I know this is about the Best U.S. Gorilla Exhibit, but without great medical care, there wouldn't be gorillas to exhibit.

8. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think Bronx Congo Forest would be almost unanimously chosen by ZooChatters. DAK is also excellent (for gorillas), except that I dislike that park and would not recommend it to anyone. Another favorite of mine (and sorely underated) is Dallas Zoo, which has an outstanding indoor education area complete with large cushioned chairs facing huge glass windows.

9. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

Of the ones my list would go-
    1. Bronx Zoo- I know I'm not the only fan of this exhibit and it's without a doubt my favorite. Simply no other zoo allows visitors to observe the social complexities and interactions of a species as closely or as powerfully as Congo Gorilla Forest. This one has it all- the size, the number of animals, the detail, the immersion, the viewing opportunities, the informative signs, etc. The gorillas are always active and entertaining for visitors. Also, the conservation theme and message is stellar.
    2. Lincoln Park Zoo- The crown jewell of this small zoo. It's complete with great enclosures both indoors and outdoors. While not as immersive as some other ones, the space provides great social, enrichment, and viewing opportunities. Also succeeds in conveying conservation messages. This place makes Brookfield's indoor-only gorilla exhibit an embarrassment.
    3. Animal Kingdom- A very large exhibit and a lush one too. This one is great at providing viewing points from multiple levels.
    4. San Diego Zoo- This gorilla exhibit is simply gorgeous and is very well planted. It succeeds very well at immersiveness and recreating the natural environment of the gorillas. I love the use of water in it too.
    5. Columbus Zoo- This one stands out for capturing herd dynamics and providing visitors both indoor and outdoor opportunities to view the gorillas interact. It's not the most naturalistic but is definitely large enough and provides a great visitor experience.
    6. Zoo Atlanta- The largest gorilla community in the country. The exhibit isn't earth shattering but one of the premier ones in the south.
    7. Busch Gardens- Great viewing window for the gorillas.
    8. Riverbanks Zoo- Surprisingly good exhibit in an otherwise mediocre zoo.

10. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

Forgot to include Dallas Zoo on my list, which is definitely up there.

11. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Houston juuuuuust opened up a brand new gorilla exhibit last month. I hope to see it this week. From what I've seen in the pictures, it looks pretty fabulous.

12. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think that Bronx wins, but can anyone say what they think the best competitors with Bronx are?

Also, has anyone seen any good exhibits outside of the USA?

13. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Both DAK and Riverbanks, and to a lesser extent Busch Gardens, rival Bronx in naturalistic plantings within the gorilla enclosure, IMO. ZooAtlanta is impressive for its size and topography.

14. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Atlanta is probably actually a tie with Bronx for the best.

15. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have to get to the Bronx Zoo soon! My top two would be Disney's Animal Kingdom (if you can count that) and the Lincoln Park Zoo.