Join our zoo community

Best UK Asian Elephant enclosure

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by britishzoofan, 17 Apr 2020.

?

Best UK Asian Elephant enclosure?

Poll closed 21 Apr 2020.
  1. Blackpool

13.9%
  2. Whipsnade

72.2%
  3. Belfast

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Chester

13.9%
  1. britishzoofan

britishzoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is just a bit of fun to judge the general consensus on the best enclosure for Asian Elephant's in the UK. I have added a few photos from the gallery to make it easier for members to compare the different exhibits. If anyone wants to make an argument for a particular enclosure, please feel free to do so. Also, I would encourage people to perhaps list the enclosures in order of what they determine to be the best. I hope to then do a head to head for the best overall Elephant (Asian or African) enclosure.

I decided not to include drive through enclosures as I don't think it is a fair comparison. As a consequence Woburn, which I believe is primarily a drive through enclosure, and Longleat are not included in this poll.

Blackpool

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whipsnade

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Belfast

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chester

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rajang21

Rajang21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Woburn and Longleat are 'drive-past' rather than drive through, so are legitimate entries in your poll. Drive-through elephant enclosures would not be allowed for public safety reasons.

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. britishzoofan

Sorry, yes I meant drive past. However, I'm not sure it is a fair comparison to those viewed on foot.
    I will perhaps do a poll later for best safari park Elephant enclosure.

4. Rajang21

Rajang21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think that depends on what you're looking for in your poll regarding 'best'. If the question is which enclosure is best for the elephants, then how the public view the enclosure shouldn't matter so much.

5. britishzoofan

That is very true and I should perhaps have worded the question as Best UK Zoo African Elephant enclosure. Then I could do another poll just for safari parks and the have a head to head between the different categories to gain a better understanding of what members perceive to be the best within the different categories and overall.

6. britishzoofan

Whipsnade is currently far ahead with nearly two thirds of the vote. Do members think Asian Elephants enclosures in the UK are of a higher standard than African or not? In my opinion, Whipsnade, Chester and Blackpool all have high quality exhibits.

Last edited: 18 Apr 2020
  7. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I do remember the elephant herd at Whipsnade been taken out for a walk but now the only that does it is Woburn

8. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

I sincerely hope that Longleat welcomes a heard of Elephant's into Anne's enclosure once she has passed away. I think Anne's enclosure is the perfect enclosure for a breeding heard of Elephant's!

What are you opinions on my thoughts?

felis silvestris and Benosaurus like this.
  9. Rosie183

Rosie183 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Whipsnade still do it, but just not when the zoo is open as it upset the elephants to be walking with the general public, screening all around them.
    Woeburn have extra space not accessible for the public which they take the elephants for their daily walk,

britishzoofan likes this.
  10. Rosie183

Rosie183 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They had a lovely breeding herd but found looking after a breeding bull too much, so I wonder if this will even be considered again in the future,

11. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don’t think the enclosure is big enough.

12. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I thought the Whipsnade herd were taken out every morning before the public arrive?

13. Jedd Cullinan

Well 2 years ago I was told by one of the keepers they are all in Protected Contact now

14. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You could well be right times change!

15. Bubalus

Bubalus Well-Known Member

Jedd is correct. The Ele's have been worked in PC for at least a couple of years now so no more walks to the downs. Woburn still operate FC so do still walk theres in this manner

Jedd Cullinan, pipaluk and Zorro like this.
  16. Jedd Cullinan

That's right

17. britishzoofan

Congratulations to Whipsnade on comfortably winning the poll for Best UK Asian Elephant enclosure. This is perhaps no surprise as they possess the most spacious exhibit for the Elephants to enjoy. Blackpool with its brand new exhibit may be disappointed to come a distant joint second with Chester.

Whipsnade: 72.2%
    Blackpool: 13.9%
    Chester: 13.9%

18. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is it also the general consensus that Whipsnade has the best bull elephant facilities too, with Blackpool 2nd and Chester 3rd?

19. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I haven’t seen Blackpool’s admittedly, but certainly Whipsnade’s is larger than Chester. The bull gets an entire barn and two yards (most of the time) to himself.

20. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I do think that Blackpool deserved more here - the work that they have done over the past couple of years with the herd is amazing - they're now all fully integrated (Kate included), and from what I hear, the bull has settled in very well. The facility is brilliant, with the largest barn in the *UK*, and the paddock/yards are full of enrichment, and far less sparse than Whipsnades. From a visitor perspective, the viewing is superb both inside and out, with the opportunity to view them from eye level and from above. Maybe Blackpool doesn't deserve the win, but it certainly deserves more than 13.9%.

Last edited: 21 Apr 2020