Join our zoo community

Best UK enclosure threads

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by britishzoofan, 24 Apr 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The only reason they would not continue is if BZF refuses to continue them - we actively welcome the threads continuing to be posted, given the fact they have (as repeatedly noted) brought a lot of positive and in-depth discussion to the forum at a stressful and rather zoo-news-sparse period of time :)

2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Well then I hope that BZF does continue posting them as I agree they do generate positive further discussion on the forum.

pipaluk likes this.
  3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

And other members are more than welcome to start a new thread on any topic they choose, including similar topics to these. Just don't start a whole heap of them at once :p

4. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I hope so too, but if there are only going to be 2 polls a week they are going to have to think about which contests might provoke debate and competition. Some exhibits were clearly going to win the contests and were getting 90plus% of the vote. The closer ones are much more interesting to me

5. britishzoofan

britishzoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would just like to add that I respect @Simon Hampel decision and will adhere to it.

However I think a few of his comments are extremely unfair. For example, I do understand the point of view of those who find the threads are cluttering the forum and have tried to find a solution to please these people and those who engage in the threads. I would have liked to do that privately, however my messages were ignored.

This was exactly the sort of comment I was hoping for where the mod team would, discuss the problem, find a good balance and hopefully find a solution to please everyone.

To conclude I'm sorry @Simon Hampel I didn't want to cause any trouble I just wanted to find a solution that pleased all parties and in my opinion felt 1 or 2 threads a week was an overreaction. However, as I have said I respect your decision and will adhere to it.

6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Personally I hope that the polls begin to focus more on some of the unusual species rather than the standard ABC "charismatic" zoo animals like bears, great apes, big cats, elephants etc.

Don't get me wrong , I like the polls , but I would be far more interested in seeing how zoos in the UK differ in their approaches to keeping other species too like monkeys, aye aye, slow loris , condors and birds of prey, small cats etc.

Last edited: 25 Apr 2020
  7. britishzoofan

Don't worry I hope to do it for a large number of species and we will slowly move away from the ABC animals. I'm glad you're enjoying the threads.

8. britishzoofan

Yes, I agree the closer ones are certainly more interesting and allow more debate. It is of course difficult in some cases to judge what will be close. For example I thought both Elephant categories were going to be much closer and having never visited Highland I didn't realise how impressive their Snow Leopard enclosure was. I'm glad you're enjoying the threads too.

9. Onychorhynchus coronatus

No problem , yes , I definitely enjoy reading and voting in them.

10. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

They weren't ignored.

I originally messaged you at 11:18PM Thursday London time (UTC) with my suggestion that you restrict your threads to 1 or 2 per weeek.

You responded at 11:27PM, then again at 11:33M, 11:51PM, 12:14AM (Friday), and 12:24AM

I responded at 12:52AM reiterating my instructions.

You replied at 1:05AM and then I replied at 1:12AM and 1:15AM

You replied at 1:16AM and 1:20AM ... and then at 10:24AM on Friday you started your thread.

At no point did I ignore you - I do have other work I need to take care of, so if I don't respond immediately, it was because I was busy.

11. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Whilst I completely understand the limitation on the number of polls per week, the British forum is incredibly quiet... Is there a possibility that the number of polls per week could possibly be increased to three please? Then, each poll will have a couple of days to be discussed. It would be interesting to hear other members opinions on this; I feel as though this is a fair number whilst there is a lack of "news".

Shirokuma, Nod, Fallax and 4 others like this.
  12. pipaluk

I agree totally, as I suggested before, why not create a sub forum for them during the current situation and delete the lot in a few months time once people have zoos to visit and something to post!?

13. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Agree about the sub forum part , but I don't with the deleting them part. They are still quite interesting in the way they show peoples aesthetic preferences and opinions regarding zoo husbandry and I imagine they would be even after the pandemic.

14. pipaluk

I was only suggesting delete them because they are taking up space on the site, if that isn't a problem I don't see why they can't remain!

15. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Oh I see , hadn't occured to me that they were taking up space on the site , fair point.

16. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've always thought... leave them on the main UK forum and then once done, have them moved to another forum as they're no longer active. That way they still get the high traffic, but no longer "disturb" the UK forum for those than find them annoying.

Last edited: 30 Apr 2020
  17. pipaluk

Agreed!

18. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As mentioned before, a sub-forum doesn't avoid the problem for those users who come in and navigate what to read using recent posts (they'd still have to wade through the Best Enclosure threads, especially since some of them have quite a half life).

If that problem could be solved I'd have no problem with umpteen threads though I suspect less people would then notice & post on the threads.

Hence, I think the current solution's probably the best.

19. britishzoofan

Yes I do agree with what @ThomasNotTom said and I think that 1-2 a week is perhaps too few and a good balance would be 3 a week. This would ensure the threads didn't clog the forum up, like they did before when there were 2 a day, whilst ensuring there is a regular topic for members to discuss every other day. In my opinion this would strike the best balance.

Fallax and TNT like this.
  20. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have been waiting for the UKs best Dormouse enclosure ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.