Join our zoo community

Best UK Sea Lion enclosure

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by britishzoofan, 28 Apr 2020.

?

Best UK Sea Lion enclosure?

Poll closed 2 May 2020.
  1. Banham

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. WMSP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Blackpool

42.0%
  4. Whipsnade

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Flamingo Land

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Longleat

16.0%
  7. Belfast

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Colchester

42.0%
  9. Dudley

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. britishzoofan

britishzoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is just a bit of fun to judge the general consensus on the best enclosure for Sea Lions in the UK. I have added a few photos from the gallery to make it easier for members to compare the different exhibits. If anyone wants to make an argument for a particular enclosure, please feel free to do so. Also, I would encourage people to perhaps list the enclosures in order of what they determine to be the best.

Unfortunately I couldn't find photos of all exhibits, so if anyone has been to Chessington, Knowsley, Woburn or Welsh Mountain could they describe the exhibit, compare it to others and possibly provide photos.

If you want to vote for: Chessington, Combe Martin, Knowsley, Pleasurewood Hills, Woburn, Blair Drummond or Welsh Mountain then vote for the other option in the poll and post in the thread to highlight which collection you have voted for.

Banham (Californian)

[​IMG]

WMSP (Californian)

[​IMG]

Blackpool (Californian)

[​IMG]

Chessington (Californian)

Unfortunately, there are no photos in the gallery. It would be extremely useful if someone who has visited can describe the exhibit and give an evaluation on its quality.

Whipsnade (Californian)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Combe Martin (Californian)

[​IMG]

Knowsley (Californian)

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, there are no good overview photos in the gallery. It would be extremely useful if someone who has visited can describe the exhibit and give an evaluation on its quality.

Pleasurewood Hills (Californian)

[​IMG]

Flamingo Land (Californian)

[​IMG]

Longleat (Californian)

[​IMG]

Woburn (Californian)

Unfortunately, there are no photos in the gallery. It would be extremely useful if someone who has visited can describe the exhibit and give an evaluation on its quality.

Belfast (Californian)

[​IMG]

Blair Drummond (Californian)

[​IMG]

Welsh Mountain (Californian)

Colchester (South American)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dudley (South American)

[​IMG]

2. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There's lots of these smallish exhibits with turquoise water that makes it really easy to see the sea lions, but then there's Longleat with the massive lake which is probably the best one for the sea lions, although they are mixed with hippos, which could be stressful for them. But I think a good compromise of the two is Colchester's exhibit, great for the sea lions but also excellent for the visitors, with multiple indoor underwater viewing areas, good signage on their predators etc. and the only underwater tunnel for sea lions in the UK. You can also view the exhibit from a boardwalk around part of the exhibit. In conclusion, I reckon it is the best in the UK for these reasons.

3. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Someone who actually knows, please correct me if I am wrong as I know nothing about Sea Lions - but we were told that changes to the Zoo Licencing Act now make it illegal to keep Sea Lions in fresh water, so that presumably includes lakes?

4. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Longleat must’ve missed that memo then!

5. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was not aware of any laws regarding this but did find it perplexing that they were kept in freshwater given that freshwater can have severe negative impacts on sea lion's skin and means that they are less buoyant in the water, causing an increase of stress and making it harder to swim.

6. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

This is half-remembered from previous discussion, but I've a feeling that it was one of those rules/guidelines brought in but with a compliance date some way in the future, so maybe we've still not reached it. There's obviously no way Longleat could convert their current holding to saltwater - though I suppose depending on the wording it may only require access to saltwater rather than all water to be salt, then they might be able to add salt pools in the housing and technically meet the regulations.

Nod and amur leopard like this.
  7. wayne4swfc

wayne4swfc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I also thought this was the case, someone will probably correct me but didn't Longleat say that their sea lions were used to the freshwater now and they use other ways to give them the salt they need. I highly doubt they’d be able to get more in the future though.

8. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's the first time I've ever heard of Pleasurewood Hills. The sea lion pool looks awful.

9. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Of the ones I've seen( that's Blackpool, West Mids, Woburn, Knowsley, Chessington, Dudley, Banham-before upgrade-Colchester & Whipsnade, I would definately say Blackpool's is the best on its sheer overall size. Similarly I would vote Whipsnade's the worst- at the opposite end of the scale, though from these photos both Pleasurewood Hills and Coombe Martin look very small too.

Longleat's isn't really an 'exhibit' as such, but the other Safari Park ones I've seen are all quite similar and from memory they are all on the small side.

Colchester should probably get a mention for the size and the unique underwater viewing, though Bristol's 'Seals and Coasts' has similar underwater viewing for their fur seals(not counted?) Chessington's is okay- probably a midde-ranking one.

Of the ones I haven't seen, Belfast's looks both the most spacious and attractive.

britishzoofan likes this.
  10. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This is amazing and at Longleat the Sealions do share the lake with the hippos and of course the sealions likes to sit on them

11. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If I understand correctly, Zoo Inspectors are guided by The Secretary of State's Standards of Modern Zoo Practice (https://assets.publishing.service.g...data/file/69596/standards-of-zoo-practice.pdf). This document has a special section on Pinnipeds and Marine Birds. It includes Paragraph 8.4.6
    Marine species are adapted to salt water and the provision of a salt water environment is beneficial. Baikal seals are adapted to fresh water.​
    I think this means that zoos have to take note of this recommendation, but it is not illegal to keep sea lions in freshwater in all circumstances. I am sure that when Longleat is inspected the health and welfare of the sea lions is considered and discussed and it seems that the inspectors are satisfied. Of course that does not mean that they would be equally satisfied if the animals were kept in a smaller body of freshwater or managed differently.

Maguari likes this.
  12. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In reference to the salt water discussion - At Flamingo Land, there are two pools; the larger pool is fresh water, and the smaller one is salt water. For a few hours each day, a sea lion is given time in the smaller exhibit with salt water, and this has apparently done wonders for their health.

Last edited: 28 Apr 2020
    Nod and Maguari like this.
  13. Panthera1981

Whipsnade’s sealion exhibit has been a victim of a lot of empty promises from senior management since public access was restricted by the closure of the indoor housing. There were plans to expand and enlarge the outdoor pool, improved filtration and a “kelp forest” for the indoor pool. Now when visiting, you’ll find a dilapidated underwater walkway coupled with an algal green indoor pool that you can hardly see anything swimming in!

It’s scary to think this exhibit once held dolphins!

14. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is Whipsnade really smaller than Knowsley, it might be, but I remember Knowsley's as being worse!

15. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This has to be between Blackpool and Colchester, none of the others I've seen (all apart from WMSP, Belfast & Blair Drummond) are even close to those two!

Pertinax and britishzoofan like this.
  16. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Pleasurewood Hills?

17. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Pleasurewood Hills is easily the worst I have seen personally. My vote is between Blackpool and Colchester. I've plumped for Blackpool atm as I believe the underwater tunnel at Colchester is the reason they are unable to house a bull. I think I enjoyed seeing the babies at Blackpool more than being able to walk through the tunnel at Colchester.

I won't vote for Longleat as it is fresh water and you also have little choice but to take the boat ride if you want to view the sealions. I don't mind the boat ride - it is quite good fun - but I imagine this can involve a lot of queuing in peak periods. I feel similarly about the train ride at Colchester. They are both designed to corral large groups of visitors and occupy them in a queue for long periods of time. I'd rather have the option of not doing them but still see the animals.

18. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Actually - I've always thought WMSP's enclosure is awful too. Dothey have any additional space other than what is seen in that picture?

19. Panthera1981

I actually liked some elements of London Zoo’s old sealion enclosure, it’s a pity some parts couldn’t have been incorporated at Whipsnade...or maybe I’m remembering it through rose-tinted glasses!

20. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I gave my vote to Blackpool, compared to the rest it is extremely spacious AND saltwater, unlike a certain large lake... Though I will give credit where credit is due, Colchester looks great, especially with that underwater tunnel.

Unfortunately, I must say a lot of these are downright awful! Pleasurewood Hills especially so, never even heard of that place until now.

I was going to post an image of Welsh Mountain's enclosure but none of them are particularly good.