Join our zoo community

Best UK Siamang enclosure?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by britishzoofan, 29 Jun 2020.

?

Best UK Siamang enclosure?

Poll closed 3 Jul 2020.
  1. Banham

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Howletts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Cotswold

1.8%
  4. South Lakes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Twycross

29.8%
  6. Monkey World

57.9%
  7. Marwell

8.8%
  8. Noah's Ark

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Manor WP

1.8%
  10. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. britishzoofan

britishzoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is just a bit of fun to judge the general consensus on the best enclosure for Siamangs in the UK. I have added a few photos from the gallery to make it easier for members to compare the different exhibits. If anyone wants to make an argument for a particular enclosure, please feel free to do so. Also, I would encourage people to perhaps list the enclosures in order of what they determine to be the best.

If you want to vote for Thrigby or Drayton Manor please vote for the other option in the poll and state who you have voted for. If you have any photos of enclosures without one could you please share them.

Banham

[​IMG]

Howletts

Unfortunately, there are no photos of this enclosure in the gallery. It would be extremely useful if someone who has visited can describe the exhibit and give an evaluation on its quality.

Cotswold

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

South Lakes

[​IMG]

Drayton Manor

Unfortunately, there are no photos of this enclosure in the gallery. It would be extremely useful if someone who has visited can describe the exhibit and give an evaluation on its quality.

Thrigby

[​IMG]

Twycross

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Monkey World

[​IMG]

Marwell

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Noah's Ark

[​IMG]

Manor WP

[​IMG]

2. Gibbon05

Gibbon05 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wow, some of these are very poor. Twycross is certainly the best in terms of climbing opportunities and probably looks as well. It also has a good indoor area.

bintarong and Pertinax like this.
  3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Twycross is good, the inside where they spend most of their time is roomy too. Unfortunately their new gibbon islands are in an exposed location open to the wind, which I think may affect use of the islands.

I prefer the naturally treed enclosures- perhaps Monkey World's is the best in that respect.

Worst? Of the ones I've seen, Marwell's by far- there is virtually nothing for them to swing/brachiate on in the netted outdoor area so despite its size they can't really use it much, while indoors is very small. Noah's Ark enclosure may look uglier but has better opportunity for the Siamangs to actually use the available space.

Last edited: 29 Jun 2020
  4. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree with above. There are some 'shockers'. Does the Owl & Monkey Haven on the Isle of Wight not hold Siamang?
    Manor looks good from the photo (I haven't been) and Monkey World of course. Twycross is a good enclosure but comments are correct about them not seeming to venture out much.
    I'm interested to know what the response would have been if this survey was for Gibbons in general, as I can't think of any two enclosures that would beat Paigntons Lar island, but specifically their Pileated exhibit which is fantastic - though small housing. Both species use their outdoor areas at all times of the day and all through the seasons.

britishzoofan likes this.
  5. Gibbon05

Gibbon05 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Both the gibbon Islands at Paignton are unbeatable, seeing them high in the treetops swinging around is so incredible and puts shame to all of those small mesh cages out there.

TriUK and 14556 like this.
  6. Pertinax

They are very good though as you say, indoors are small. But as they use the islands so freely, its less important. These islands are in a valley, also sheltered by woodland to an extent, perhaps why they are so well-used. Certainly good exhibits.

Gibbon05 likes this.
  7. The_melford_manatee

The_melford_manatee Well-Known Member

Twycross is certainly my favourite.I am surprised how many zoos have provided netted enclosures or cages as opposed to open-topped habitats.I thought the same in the Mandrill thread.While Twycross is the only one which really stands out I like Monkey World’s as well,although it doesn’t have a public indoor area.

As for worst I would say Noah’s Ark.The concrete bottom at the front looks like a pathway,the hilly environment is very strange and the few climbing opportunities it provides are terrible.The indoor area looks big but isn’t part of it for porcupines(I could be wrong though).

Two enclosures,Marwell and Thrigby,I have very mixed opinions on.Marwell is natural and has a nice lake area.There are actually four indoor rooms as opposed to the one shown in the photo(although it is still small),but as said above it provides few opportunities for the animals to swing or climb on.With Thrigby I like how it lets the Siamang walk above you but the enclosure itself is small and ugly.I prefer Marwell of the two.

8. britishzoofan

Yes, you are correct. I must have missed it for some reason. Here is a photo of the enclosure.

[​IMG]

The_melford_manatee and TriUK like this.
  9. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

However, the Lar's do now have a much larger (than the current tree house and the Pileated 'shed'), brand new indoor house on the Big Cats side of the lake but it is off-show. If and when this becomes a Gibbon Enclosure 'contest', then both Paignton islands should be in the mix for the win.

10. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Unless you can fence off a bit of natural woodland than a netted enclosure can provide them with additional climbing opportunities (Edinburgh gibbon enclosure and netted enclosures at Chester are good examples). There may be some physical downsides which have been mentioned in other discussions on this but cannot remember it right now.

Also why just Siamangs? Gibbons generally could be lumped into one group as the needs of each species is not drastically different.

The_melford_manatee likes this.
  11. britishzoofan

Yes, I do understand your point. However, that would tip the number of exhibits in contention to over 50 which is too many in my view. Separating Siamang's from other Gibbons seemed the most logical step, so that was what I did.

12. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Do Gibbons use flexible netting (rather than mesh or bars) to brachiate from? It is thin and human fingers would find it very uncomfortable.
    There is little logic to the choice of spp. Gibbons require similar accommodation regardless of species, yet one is separated from the others. Wombats which do need different accommodation, were lumped together...

13. Pertinax

I very much doubt it. They need solid handholds such wooden beams, branches or ropes set at a correct distance to brachiate from, as they use their hands as hooks to swing their bodies from. Enclosures that aren't properly equipped with those are fairly unusable in that respect, as they can't swing from mesh(or netting) in the same way. A bit like an Aviary that has no suitable perches for the inmates.

Andrew Swales likes this.
  14. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Yes - our Lars use the heavy weld-mesh roof sporadically, but I would have thought that a flexible netted roof would be pretty pointless. Unless an enclosed area of 'natural woodland' had the correct trees, it too would be an aesthetic rather than an animal welfare 'win' as would 'nice' areas of water...

Pertinax likes this.
  15. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I am surprised by the number of votes for Monkeyworld! If their indoor Siamang House was of the same standard as the golden cheeked gibbons at the bottom of the park this would be justified, but from memory the Siamang hut is just a small wooden shed with little room to move, very poor, it cannot win surely!
    @MagpieGoose, the Manor exhibit has improved since the photo I assume? That one looks shocking to be honest!!
    I can to a degree understand votes for MW outdoors, but what merits a vote for Cotswold or Marwell?

Azubaa and zoosafari123 like this.
  16. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I only placed a vote with Manor House temporarily, I was planning on changing my votes as arguments for each enclosure came through :)

I have uploaded an image of the indoor housing for the Siamang at Monkey World, I believe the house you are thinking of now holds a pair of Golden-cheeked Gibbons :)

17. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Siamang must have moved to the golden cheeked House at the bottom of the park in the Last 2 years then! Every time I've been over the last 20 years Siamang have been in a large wooded enclosure in middle of the park with a tiny hut. The house you have posted has not held Siamang on any of my visits up to 2018

18. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe the Siamangs have been at the bottom of the park for a good few years now, as one of the pairs of Golden-cheeked Gibbons was most certainly in the middle of the park on my visit in 2016. I think the Siamangs replaced the Mueller's Gibbons in that specific enclosure.

19. The_melford_manatee

The_melford_manatee Well-Known Member

On my visit in October 2019,both species were living in the bottom of the park with some good exhibits.I think which there is,as @MagpieGoose has already stated,a Golden-cheeked Gibbon enclosure in the middle of the zoo as well.I did not see any Mueller’s Gibbons on my visit.

20. Pertinax

The Siamangs at MonkeyWorld used to be in an enclosure with two large pine trees- an odd exhibit but they seemed happy enough. Maybe that one had a very small indoor area? Photo above shows an enclosure with deciduous woodland so I believe this is one of the newer enclosures at the bottom end of the park- these are well equipped while the indoor areas of these are almost large and strong enough to contain great Apes, let alone gibbons...