Join our zoo community

Best zoo in Africa

Discussion in 'Africa & Middle East - General' started by Tiger, 22 Aug 2021.

1. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

I don't know if there is already a thread for this, but what is the best African zoo (and or aquarium)? When I look in the gallery there seems to be very bad ones but also of average quality, like in Egypt. So.... which one is the best?

2. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've heard good things about Joburg Zoo, so I'd suspect it would be the best on the continent but I may be wrong - perhaps someone who is well-travelled on the continent can be of more use. @Nix ?

3. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

Yes, South Africa probably has the best zoos, but I'd love to hear if there are any better ones that I and maybe others have missed.

4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've never been to Africa but I've heard Pretoria referred to as the best zoo there.

5. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

Best Zoo in Africa is most definitely Joburg Zoo, Pretoria Zoo has been slacking in the former years but seems to be heading strong to something great but ti'll that happens, Joburg is the best.
    It's very clean, neat spacy and high quality. The Exhibit are all great for the animals that inhabit them and this is where Joburg beats Pretoria, see Pretoria has a couple of spectacular enclosures but not all of them are good or even acceptable for the species they hold where as Joburg's Exhibit are all fine for the animals.
    If this where to include Zoos and Aquariums, uShaka Marine World would take the lead by a longshot but alas it's only zoos.
    In terms of collection, Mystic Monkeys Wildlife Park has the most rarities of the South African Zoos.
    If you are looking for a safari Park, Lion and Rhino Safari Park is your best bet, They have MASSIVE enclosures for your average African animals but also some rare species like clouded leopards and Brown Hyena.

6. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

Wow... i didn't know Lion and Rhino Safari Park had brown hyenas, do you have more info on this? Thanks for your reply.

7. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

Brown Hyenas are very common captive animal in South Africa, I even have a wild individuals on my property. Countless Private and public Zoos keep this species.

8. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

Well...I wish brown hyenas were common in European zoos:p. Cool that you have brown hyenas on your property, i have to be happy with squirrels:D:p

Nix and csartie like this.
  9. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

What squirrel specie do you have on your property? I have African Tree Squirrel :D

10. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

Well... i have Eurasian red squirrels on my property:D

Nix likes this.