Join our zoo community

Best zoo in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Thearmadillo, 22 Aug 2021.

1. Thearmadillo

Thearmadillo Well-Known Member

My home zoo is the Toronto zoo and whenever I try to find a different Canadian zoo all people talk about is Toronto zoo.

2. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

To be quite frank, Toronto is essentially the "best" by a reasonable margin, in terms of space, exhibitry, and species. The only other facilities in Canada that come close are (in subjective order) Granby, Calgary, and Assiniboine Park. Granby, to be honest, is very close to being on par with Toronto, but between the language divide and the fact there are very few Granby regulars on the website, lead to it receiving far less publicity on here over Toronto.

There are other facilities (Vancouver Aquarium, African Lion Safari, Parc Safari, etc...) that by all accounts, are large, excellent facilities as well, however they are fundamentally different from the standard zoo model, so can't quite be judged on the same level.

Thearmadillo and snowleopard like this.
  3. Thearmadillo

Thanks

4. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Definitely will get a slanted opinion on here towards Toronto being "best" but I think that's largely because the only zoo that has a strong zoochat contingent is Toronto. I wish the others had even a small group of devotees so we could learn more about them.

That being said Toronto is definitely a heavy hitter.
    • Largest physical zoo - 700 acres with tons of room to do whatever they want
    • 4 large indoor pavilions
    • Largest species collection - 500+
    • Most individual animals - 5000 strong.
    • Participates in the most SSPs - 100+
    • Incredible success in a lot of SSPs
    • Several species with wild releases outside of Canada - Puerto Rican crested toad, Panamanian golden frog, the cichlids, probably others Im not thinking about.
    • 8 breeding programs with real world Canadian impact - Wood bison, Blanding's turtles, black footed ferrets, Vancouver Island marmots, Atlantic salmon, Eastern loggerhead shrike, trumpeter swan, Eastern Massassauga rattlesnake
    • Many exclusive animals - Sumatran orang, babirusa, pygmy hippo, white backed vulture, Sumatran tiger, chamois, Nile soft shell turtle, ect.
    • Responsible for many Canadian first births - Masai giraffes, Western lowland gorilla, Sumatran orangutan, giant panda, babirusa, pygmy hippo, tree kangaroo, wombat, African elephant, ect.
    • A plant collection worth more than the animal collection and amazing success in producing incredibly rare plants.
    • I think the country's only cryobank
    • State of the art research and reproductive facilities.
    • An amazing new health center with visitor viewing.
    But even Calgary can give it a run for its money.
    • A much smaller zoo than Toronto but boosts its own offsite breeding facility at the Devon Wildlife Center and is currently building a brand new even bigger and better facility.
    • Largest species collection - Approximately 119 species
    • Large animal population - 1000 strong.
    • Participates in the most SSPs - 50+
    • Amazing work with Canadian species whooping cranes, greater sage grouse, Northern leopard frogs, burrowing owls, Vancouver Island Marmots,
    • Tons of partnerships with other groups working with bongos, hippos, black footed ferrets, prairie dogs, swift foxes, fishers, sitatungas, lemurs to name a few.
    • Exclusive animals - Malyasian tapir, Humboldt penguin, mountain zebra,
    • Not sure what but Im sure they have some first for Canada on their list since they opened a full 45 years before Toronto.
    • From what I see their new exhibits blow Toronto's cash strapped good enough exhibits out of the water (except the gorilla indoor exhibit which is amazing).
    • Permanent dino park which is beloved by zoo goers.
    Granby can arguably make a claim for the title too.
    • Species collection - 200+
    • Large animal population - 1800 strong.
    • Participates in SSPs - 47ish
    • Exclusive animals - green sea turtle (unless im wrong and Vancouver has them), Amur leopard, patas monkey, Andean condor, ocelot, kinkajou, probably others I cant think of.
    • Canadian species programs - spiny softshell turtle, southern flying squirrel, bats, chimney swifts.
    • Canadian first births - Amur leopard, Andean condor,
    • Amazing water park that adds a lot of additional revenue to the zoo and brings increased interest.
    • They have the only potential breeding pair of African elephants in Canada (low as that may be)
    These would be considered the big 3 in Canada but great work is being done at African Lion Safari, Parc Safari, Assiniboine Park and Zoo, Vancouver Aquarium, Edmonton's Valley Zoo and even Zoo Sauvage (small collection but when they do work on exhibits it is top notch).

5. Thearmadillo

thank you. That was very helpful. I have been to Toronto and Calgary but I still haven’t had a chance to go to Granby is it wort it?

6. TZFan

Other than wondering through it by google earth street view I haven't been to Granby either. Definitely as a nice collection and some good exhibits. Their new hippo exhibit (renovated) looks cool. The savanna appeared somewhat nice. They do mixed exhibits more than Toronto is willing to. I'm sure your interest in the collection might sway you one direction or another. The exclusive in Canada species might be your draw or maybe certain babies are the thing for you.

If you are heading that direction anyway probably is worth the stop in. Going for the sole purpose of visiting the zoo? Not sure. Depends totally on you. However a value add is probably that Parc Safari is only about 50 kms away. At that distance you could probably kill two birds with one stone and visit both making the trip more worthwhile. Zoo Sauvage is quite a bit further away but if you were on a trip say headed to the Maritimes by car it might be worthwhile to try and knock out the three.

Thearmadillo likes this.
  7. Thearmadillo

Thanks

8. TZFan

No problem. Check youtube out there are a few walkthrough style videos of Granby to help you form an opinion if it is worth it for you. We are all different and what we value in a zoo trip differs slightly.

Now that I am thinking about it the one person who might best be able to answer that question is @snowleopard. He has been to roughly 10 zoos and aquariums across Canada. I would be surprised if Granby wasn't one of them.

snowleopard and Thearmadillo like this.
  9. Thearmadillo

I watched a walk through video and it seems pretty good but I don’t know if it’s worth an 8 hour drive.

10. TZFan

It is a long drive for sure. Honest suggestion is to reach out to Snowleopard. If anyone among us has any idea if its worth that kind of trip it is him. He's been to probably more zoos in North America then any other zoochat member. He's been doing in depth reviews of them as he visits. If he's been and says its worth it you can feel safe in that recommendation.

snowleopard and Thearmadillo like this.
  11. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I visited Zoo Granby last year and yes it's definitely a zoo worth visiting and one of the best facilities in the country. Granby has a really good mix of the typical ABC animals you would expect to find at a major zoo as well as all the rarities TZFan pointed out (they are also one of 4 North American zoos with Japanese Serow although Calgary also hold this species). The exhibitry is generally solid but unspectacular, although there are some highlights like the Hippo and African Savannah exhibits.

Is it worth making the 8 hour drive just to visit Granby? Personally I'd say no, although as others have pointed out, there are a couple other facilities in the area that are worth visiting. It's only an hour drive from Montreal which means the zoo can be easily done as as part of a longer trip to Quebec.

Thearmadillo likes this.
  12. Akula

Akula Well-Known Member

Best Zoo in Canada, difficult question depending on what specs are being looked for. A large AZA Zoo goes to Toronto, lots of food places as well, I will admit the exhibits can be a little far for someone with a walking impairment which is understandable. But Another Contender is Calgary, Really lovely Asian section with lots of detail. In my opinion they hold the best Asian region out of the Canadian ZOOs. Then Granby is another Contender lots of species that Toronto doesn't have and they are closer than Calgary. Parc Safari is not bad either, the exhibits are not super well made in my opinion as lots of fencing can be scene but they as well as Granby are the only Zoo's I believe that house African Elephants.

For that classic Safari experience African Lion Safari is that top contender. They do also have many species that Toronto, Calgary and Granby don't have. Also they are the only Zoo in Canada with a full herd of Bongos. But their major attraction is their elephant herd. Largest breeding herd in North America I believe and they have Three calves currently and usually at least one calf per year. As well their herd should grow within a few years, as many of their past calves will become of breeding age soon.

Release programs and other sciences is given to Calgary and Toronto on my list. Toronto is the Ground breaker often in Bison work with the help of Calgary. Assiniboine and Calgary are the Caribou experts with a birth almost every year.

Some highlighted species and exhibits

The Assiniboine Zoo has a stellar state of the art Polar bear complex, exhibit would be an understatement. It also really got off to a great start with the help of Toronto lending them Hudson as a year old fluffy and cute cub. A cub is a real attraction and they are rescuing so many and I'm sure many more to come. Also in the future Calgary plans to copy this facilities amazing footsteps and build their own polar bear Complex.

The Granby Zoo has a really nice Red panda exhibit probably the best in Canada in my opinion. just the cultural theme and the viewing points.

Toronto does have Orangutans and hopefully in the next year the research and outdoor exhibit will be open. Toronto is the only Canadian Zoo to house two of the great ape species.

The Fauna Foundation in Quebec is the only Canadian sanctuary/zoo to house Chimpanzee's so if you are looking to see all of the great apes you will probably stay on the eastern side of Canada.

Walruses Quebec does have a few and so does Marineland to my knowledge.

Marineland has beluga whales and the largest captive pod I think. Even though they have stopped breeding them.

I probably missed a bunch of info but these are just from my experiences and I can't wait to hear from more of the Canadian members or any internationals that have visited any of the Canadian Zoos

13. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I've never visited Granby Zoo, but here is a list of the 31 zoos and aquariums that I have been to in Canada...along with the year(s) of each visit. Many of the facilities are quite small and I've ranked the zoos in order from 'best' downwards.

Canada: 31 zoos/aquariums

Zoos: 27

1- Calgary Zoo (2017, 2016 x 3, 2012 x 3, 2006, 1986) = 9 visits
    2- Toronto Zoo (2008)
    3- Polar Park (1986 - 1975 - now closed) = numerous visits
    4- Assiniboine Park Zoo (2018)
    5- Greater Vancouver Zoo (2021, 2020, 2017, 2011 - 1988) = numerous visits
    6- B.C. Wildlife Park (2020, 2019, 2016, 2009, 2006) = 5 visits
    7- Montreal Biodome (2008)
    8- Edmonton Valley Zoo (2017, 2012, 2001, 1986 - 1975) = numerous visits
    9- Mountain View Conservation Centre (2008)
    10- Alberta Wildlife Park (1986 - 1975 - now closed) = multiple visits
    11- Discovery Wildlife Park (2016)
    12- Saskatoon Forestry Farm Park & Zoo (2018)
    13- Victoria Bug Zoo (2015)
    14- North Island Wildlife Recovery Centre (2016)
    15- Alberta Birds of Prey Centre (2016)
    16- O.W.L. (Orphaned Wildlife) Rehabilitation Society (2016)
    17- Stanley Park Zoo (1996 - 1986 - now closed) = multiple visits
    18- Kangaroo Creek Farm (2018)
    19- Grouse Mountain Wildlife Refuge (2007)
    20- Rainforest Reptile Refuge (2001 - now under a new name)
    21- Victoria Butterfly Gardens (2015)
    22- Northern Lights Wildlife Wolf Centre (2018)
    23- Butterfly World & Gardens (2016)
    24- The Reptile Guy: Rescue & Education Center (2015 - now closed)
    25- Bloedel Conservatory (1989)
    26- Border City Petting Zoo (2018)
    27- Parrot Island Sanctuary (2018)

Aquariums: 4

1- Vancouver Aquarium (2021 - 1986) = annual visits
    2- Shaw Ocean Discovery Center (2015 - now called the Shaw Centre for the Salish Sea
    3- Ucluelet Aquarium (2016)
    4- West Edmonton Mall’s Sea Life Caverns (2006, 2001, 1986 - 1984) = multiple visits

TheGerenuk and Thearmadillo like this.
  14. Thearmadillo

To add to your aquarium visits I suggest going to riplys aquarium if possible.

15. TZFan

@TZDugong, I knew someone had been last year I just couldn't remember who.

Looks like if you check the gallery @TheGerenuk also visited recently and has been multiple times.

@snowleopard, I would recommend you as a great source for one of the few places you haven't been, lol.

If you wanted to do a Quebec zoo trip I forgot the Montreal Biodome just reopened so that might be a big value add to a potential Granby trip. There is also the Ecomuseum.

TheGerenuk and TZDugong like this.
  16. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

Not saying it's a top zoo in Canada but one I've noticed that hasn't been mentioned is Safari Niagara. I visited this facility quite some time ago (back when it was called ZooZ). Though most the exhibits weren't anything to write home to, the collection was pretty impressive and has improved over the years. Off the top of my head, I believe they are the only Canadian facility holding lowland tapir, Barbary ape and painted dogs. Musk ox, two rhino species, an impressive big cat collection, three lesser apes, Syrian brown bear and Andean condor also reside there.

17. Akula

Akula Well-Known Member

Safari Niagra has quite the collection as I belive they are the only other Zoo then Toronto to house the clouded Leopards. Toronto Has Barbary apes, Two rhino species and quite a few cats as well. But I think you are right on most of them I've never heard of any other zoo having the Syrian brown bear or the lowland tapir. Assiniboine might have Musk Oxen but I could be wrong.

Thearmadillo likes this.
  18. TZFan

@PSO, You are correct Safari Niagara hasn't been mentioned. It is another one you can tour on google street view though so you can get an impression of it. I wasn't impressed by a lot of the enclosures, though I admit from their facebook posts it appears they are improving things as they can. I think they are probably in that second tier of zoos in Canada. There is lots of room for improvement but you are right they do have a pretty cool collection. I would definitely be willing to visit if I had to head that way for any reason. Certainly would rather go there than Marineland which is nearby. And since I would be headed that way I'd hit up African Lion Safari too. Haven't been there since I was maybe 6.

For anyone interested you can tour most of the safari here Google Maps

Toronto still had Barbary apes as of 2019, maybe 2020. They are just never on display. The two females are super elderly. Their health was such that they couldn't be moved with the rest of the group to Safari Niagara. If I recall right they were picked on a lot because they had health concern so the zoo kept them to wait them out. They could be dead. We would never know until someone talked to a keeper to find out. I highly doubt they would be deaths that are announced because no one has seen them in what nearly a decade?

@Akula, yes they are the only other zoo with clouded leopards because Toronto gave them Levy. And Assiniboine does have muskox as does Zoo Sauvage.

If we want to point out cool collections Zoo Sauvage's Canadian/Northern Asian selection is pretty interesting. They have wolverines, fishers, gelada, 3 species of crane, and many duck and geese species you just don't see at the average zoo. They also house like 6 cougars together in a social group which is pretty much unheard of. And they have a large group of moose which seems like nothing but when the SSP for moose only has 12 moose in it, only one of which is a male and all the females are getting to post reproductive age, thats something to say. I think they have 4-6 moose on their own.

By the way really want to thank @Thearmadillo for starting this thread. It's really cool to get everyone's takes on the different zoos.

19. Kalvin

Kalvin Well-Known Member

There's at least one Barbary Ape still kicking at Toronto zoo. There are a few spots from Eurasia and a tricky angle from the zoomobile where you can see parts of the exhibit they're housed in. I've never seen two at the same time but have seen one a few times in the last two months. This photo is from one of those sightings.

Sad they aren't on display, it wouldn't take much either, just access to the North of the tur exhibit. Probably not a great idea in these times and they'll probably be gone before COVID is over, but I can dream!

Attached Files:

20. TZFan

@Kalvin thank you! You have solved a huge mystery for me that has been on my mind for the last nearly 2 years since I last heard news of them. Super cool you could get the photo. You should post it to the gallery so its easier to find maybe a few years down the line.