Join our zoo community

Best zoo in each state

Discussion in 'United States' started by Arizona Docent, 20 Jul 2015.

1. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

Sorry I meant kangaroos and alligators

2. CleZooMan

CleZooMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

States I've toured Zoos in-
    California- Living Desert
    Illinois- Brookfield
    Maryland- Maryland Zoo
    Michigan- Detroit
    New Mexico- American International Rattlesnake Museum
    New York- Bronx
    Ohio- Columbus
    Pennsylvania- Clyde Peeling's Reptiland

Pleistohorse likes this.
  3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for participating everyone! As I said, many of these are states I have not been to and are wild guesses based on internet photos.

I am happy to replace Franklin Park with Southwicks as seems to be the consensus from people in the area.

I knew everyone would beat me up for not picking Woodland Park as the Washington pick, but I am sticking to my guns. Northwest Trek is one of the best, if not the best, zoological parks in the country.

As for Denver, I know from previous posts that is something I will never see eye to eye with other ZooChatters.

Philadelphia vs Pittsburgh was a tough call. I like Philadelphia (been twice) and have never been to Pittsburgh, so if those who have seen both say Philly is the choice I am happy to change.

As for San Diego Zoo vs Safari Park, obviously it is preference as to if you prefer expansive field exhibits (but less species) or tons of species. I clearly prefer the former, which also explains my preference of Northwest Trek over Woodland Park. However, in my defense, I will say that just about everyone I know who is familiar with both San Diego facilities prefer the park over the zoo.

Pleistohorse likes this.
  4. zoomania18

zoomania18 Well-Known Member

Nice threads +1

5. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just an idea, feel free to say no, perhaps we can choose out top 25 pics and then move on to 15, then 10, then 5, etc...

6. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think at the moment Memohis is better (pandas and all that) but Nashville will soon beat them. Nashville is rapidly expanding with plans for lots more African wildlife, as well as plans for polar bears, penguins, etc. expected to be complete by 2020. Meanwhile, Memphis has been delaying the same exhibit over and over again.

7. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Where has the zoo mentioned Polar Bears? All these plans will not be done by 2020. They're still working on Andean Bears and company, Elephant Barn expansion and Tiger expansion. Some of the other plans slated are for Giant Otter, Spider Monkeys and so on. The African expansion is some time off. Adding the African expansion and penguins is well beyond 2020. They desperately need a new Vet Hospital and that will happen before some of the plans you mentioned. The state of Polar Bears in the U.S. can't even facilitate some of the recently opened exhibits. Leaving exhibits with one Polar Bear, if that. Some may just transition over to Grizzly/Brown Bear or even Tiger.

8. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree. It would not be a smart move for the zoo to try to build a polar bear exhibit.

9. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

If I had to choose between SDZ and WAP, I would probably pick WAP because, like you said, their field exhibits are HUGE plus they have Cheetahs and you know how much I like Cheetahs. SDZ has more in terms of animals I enjoy seeing at a zoo, but you can't beat the field exhibits at WAP plus their tours.

For Arizona, I would probably choose Phoenix over ASDM, but I'm biased, obviously. hahaha.

For Washington, I've only ever been to Woodland Park and I was a child so I don't really count that. hahaha. I haven't been to any of the other zoos.

10. jayjds2

Nashville Zoo expansion plans: Lions, cheetahs, otters and more
    Many apologies I misread polar birds as bears. This article states that the zoo will double its amount of animals by 2020. I agree totally about the polar bears, no zoo should have plans for them at this point. The breeding really needs to get started. Back on topic, I think most of these are accurate (San Diego is arguable, so are a few others) but I vote Animal Kingdom for Florida. I haven't been to Miami so I can't say for there, but I love the themeing of Animal Kingdom.

11. jayjds2

12. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Allow me to be the minority then. I visit both the Park and the Zoo about 5 times a year each,and for me personally,the diversity of species and the climate of the zoo,as well as its size can never be beat by the Safari Park. They're two very different atmospheres,and the whole left side of the Zoo especially is amazing. I never pay attention to horticultural collections,but the Hidden Forest area of the zoo is something to be seen. The Safari Park is great in its own right,and is not to be taken lightly either,but I strongly disagree with the current "Journey Into Africa" system,where some jewels of their collection,namely the entirety of their Asian Plains exhibits, are viewable only by special,extra tours.

13. jayjds2

You are not the only. The Park sacrifices most birds, reptiles, and amphibians for its large mammal collection. While there are a few rarities (shoebill stork, black milk snake isn't that common, and Hidden Jungle is great) it otherwise fails. The lemur walk was a letdown (in a sense), kind of bland and pointless on a day where the lemurs are inactive, and not a great habitat for them. A lot of the Condor Ridge exhibits were not the best, and all have bad chain link viewing. The zoo has great exhibits (save for a few) but the space isn't that great in all of them. I prefer the zoo, but it really seems to be a taste thing.

14. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Glad to see I'm not the only one. The Safari Park's bird collection seems especially abysmal due to the amazing collection of the Zoo itself,and most of it is contained within one of two aviaries. One of these aviaries (Wings of the World) is particularly bizarre as it outright abandons geography and offers a mix of species from various places. I know it's intentionally complimentary to the Zoo,but I feel as though a small overlap of species (perhaps with different subspecies) would not be unwelcome. It'd be especially nice for the Safari Park to work in more primates. I can think of only the lemurs,the gorillas(who I feel need a new exhibit),and a primate species on a small island near the flamingo lagoon (Langurs?),and I could easily see them adding more Asian primates at some point in the future. As I said,I love both,and the Safari Park absolutely excels at their exhibition of cheetahs,hoofstock,tigers,and lions,but the Zoo just has so much more. Right now the Safari Park seems more interested in extra-charge tours and "experiences". I'm wondering how Betsy (if she sees this) feels on the matter.

15. Alex Bensky

Alex Bensky Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Binder Park Zoo is a nice little zoo and worth a visit if you're in the area, but as to the best in the state, I don't think it can compete with Detroit. People especially interested in penguins should take a look at the plans for our new penguin house. They're going to turn the old penguinarium into, of all things, a bat conservation center.

I still think the zoo needs a small mammals house but nobody has asked me. I'm not sure how the reptile house ranks, but I guess it would be high if you add the nearby Amphibville.

Video: Virtual tour of Detroit Zoo's future penguin conservation center | MLive.com

srynk likes this.
  16. jayjds2

@Shellheart:

The map for the park also had lemurs on an island in the lagoon, but I didn't see any (or any signs for them) on my recent visit. Near the flamingo lagoon there was an island habitat for Kikuyu (probably spelled wrong) Colobus monkey. In the official guide book pair that I bought at the zoo (which I have misplaced) there was a section about gibbons the African woods section (I will look for it thoroughly soon, a brief scour of the house resulted nothing) and the images appeared to show the gibbon species that is at the zoo, which is buff crested. I do not like the style of gorilla habitat, which many zoos use: long and thin. It is also slightly sparse on vegetation. However, the Safari Park's habitat is much deeper than most of its style, with more enrichment for the gorillas (ropes, rocks, etc.). I feel that this style of habitat is being phased out and will soon become outdated.

As for Betsy, I'll let her speak for herself. I will say one thing: she visits the zoo nearly ever week. She visits the park a few times a year, maybe. She also tends to just go for tigers and gorillas at the park. I think the opinion is clear, but again, I'll let her say for herself.

17. CleZooMan

CleZooMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Updated-
    California- Living Desert
    Illinois- Brookfield
    Maryland- Maryland Zoo
    Michigan- Detroit
    New Mexico- Rattlesnake Museum
    New York- Bronx
    Ohio- Columbus
    Pennsylvania- Living Treasures Moraine (near Newcastle, Pa.)

18. Zoolover1020

Zoolover1020 Active Member 5+ year member

Here is my list

Alabama:Birmingham Zoo
    Alaska:Alaska Zoo
    Arizona:phoenix Zoo
    Arkansas:Little Rock Zoo
    California:San Diego Zoo
    Colorado:Denver Zoo
    Connecticut:Beardsley Zoo
    Delaware:Bardywine Zoo
    Florida:Zoo Miami
    Georgia:Zoo Atlanta
    Hawaii:Honolulu Zoo
    Idaho: Zoo Boise
    Illinois:Brookfield Zoo
    Indiana:Fort Wayne Children's Zoo
    Iowa:Blank Park Zoo
    Kansas:Sedgewick County Zoo
    Kentucky:Louisville Zoo
    Louisiana:Audubon Zoo
    Maine:York's Wild Kingdom
    Maryland:Maryland Zoo
    Massachusetts:Franklin Park Zoo
    Michigan:Detroit Zoo
    Minnesota:Minnesota Zoo
    Mississippi:Jackson Zoo
    Missouri:St Louis Zoo
    Montana:Zoo Montana
    Nebraska:Henry Doorly Zoo
    Nevada:Sierra Safari Zoo
    New Hampshire:Charmingfare Farm
    New Jersey:Cape May County Zoo
    New Mexico:ABQ Biopark
    New York:Bronx Zoo
    North Carolina:North Carolina Zoo
    North Dakota:Chahinkapa Zoo
    Ohio:Columbus Zoo
    Oklahoma:Tulsa Zoo
    Oregon:Oregon Zoo
    Pennsylvania:philadelphia Zoo
    Rhode Island:Roger Williams Park Zoo
    South Carolina:Riverbanks Zoo
    South Dakota:Great Plains Zoo
    Tennessee:Memphis Zoo
    Texas:Fort Worth Zoo
    Utah:Hogle Zoo
    Vermont:Echo Lake Aquarium and Science Center
    Virginia:Virginia Zoo
    Washington:Woodland Park Zoo
    West Virginia:Oglebay Good Zoo
    Wisconsin:Milwaukee County Zoo
    Wyoming:The Science Zone(Only thing that I could find in Wyoming that is close to a zoo)

19. jayjds2

For the states I've been to (for longer than just a transit from one state to another):

California: San Diego Zoo
    Florida: haven't been to many but for now, Disney's Animal Kingdom
    Georgia: Zoo Atlanta
    Hawaii: Honolulu Zoo
    Kentucky: Louisville Zoo
    Maryland: The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore
    Missouri: Saint Louis Zoo
    Ohio: Columbus Zoo
    Oklahoma: Tulsa Zoo
    Tennessee: Nashville Zoo (personal preference, though I enjoy the Memphis Zoo almost equally)
    Texas: Dallas Zoo (not much of a competition)
    Virginia: Virginia Zoo
    Washington, D.C. (Because why not): Smithsonian's National Zoo

Although I lived in Kansas I never visited a zoo in the state, even though the Segdwick County Zoo (and nearby Tanganyika Wildlife Park) were only three hours away. Apparently it was "too far", even though that's a normal day trip drive now. The only facility in New Jersey that I've visited is Adventure Aquarium. I've only visited one facility in North Carolina, and it wasn't a traditional zoo. It's been ages since I've gone to Philadelphia as well, so I didn't count that state either. Hopefully the latter two will change soon! :)