Join our zoo community

best zoo in East Anglia?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by chriswh123, 2 Nov 2008.

1. chriswh123

chriswh123 Member

I live in central East Anglia....

Can anyone here recommend a zoo to visit, which has the possibilities for taking photos of cheetahs/tigers and other large mammals?

Ive been to Banham Zoo, not very good for taking photos.
    Ive been to Colchester zoo, great for taking photos, but fancy somewhere that is not filled with kids 24/7.

If anyone has any experiences of good zoos in east anglia to visit, I would love to hear from you.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Nov 2008
  2. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

for me its colchester, it has a great variety and very natural enclosures with good mixes

3. karenZOO

karenZOO Well-Known Member

Colchester but im slightly biased :p

Have you been to Hammerton zoo they have got a couple of lovely tigers plus cheetahs!

Also very good in bad weather as they have alot of covered walkways (some grass areas tho!)

4. chriswh123

chriswh123 Member

Thanks for that, I have to agree, Colchester Zoo is one of my favourites, but the only time I can get there is at the weekends and its so crowded with kids everywhere; I cant relax :(
    I keep hearing about HAmmerton Zoo, what is the cheetah enclosure like? Is it good for taking photos?
    Photos of Historic Buildings and Animals from around the UK.

5. karenZOO

I love Colchester zoo in the winter hardly any kids :D ANYWAY my fella says I have very big elbows when im taking pictures at the zoo :D once I get my spot no amount of kids can move me :eek:

Hammerton main cheetah enclosure is huge and very natural looking with a lot of long grass but is all wire but you can get through it quite easily with a good lens! The tigers it is varied some wire and some windows but really depends where the decide to be usually in the most awkward place :rolleyes:

It was very quiet when we went although the zoo itself seems to be in an odd position, we went thro a housing estate onto a one car track (made road) for which seemed ages and the zoo was in the middle of nowhere, was also very windy!

Lovely day out :D Some great enclosures and some needing improving.

6. karenZOO

I have just seen your tigers and leopard photos at Linton zoo :D Fantastic!

How did you manage to get such a good shot of the leopard? It is usually pacing in the dark part of the enclosure whenever we go!

No problems about you having a good enough camera and lens to get thro wire :D if you can get through the awful wire tiger cage at Linton!

I did put up a post a while ago asking if anyone had any news on Linton tigers due to the news that Annouska (now at Colchester) was not a pure bred Amur and what happened to her siblings etc?