Join our zoo community

Best zoo in Sydney?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by koalalove, 14 Aug 2013.

1. koalalove

koalalove New Member

Hello all- need some help figuring out which zoo to visit in Sydney! My husband and I will be in Sydney for two days, and with such a short amount of time, we want to visit the best zoo in town.

We want the least touristy and most authentic. I am particularly interested in the koalas and kangaroos- and all native Australian wildlife. I understand that you are no longer allowed to hold the koalas, but the most up close encounter would be the best!

Any help and recommendations would be really appreciated!

Cheers!

2. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

".... in town." ? Taronga Zoo - head and shoulders above everything else. Allocate a whole day for your visit. Enjoy!

3. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

By Chinese standards, Sydney is a small town. :D

What about Featherdale if they are doing a Blue Mountains tour?

4. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Which is probably why they are not going to China!

Where did it say that they are doing a Blue Mountains tour?

5. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Well, if a visit to Taronga will take all day and they are only interested in native animals, then they could use the day to do a tour and see the Blue Mountains plus some other stuff, AND visit Featherdale to pat a koala. For some extra $$, they could get more out of their limited time than just a visit to Taronga.

6. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

taronga. great range of aussie animals.

7. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I say Taronga as well. Admittedly, I'm a little biased. But you won't see a view like that from any other zoo. Take the ferry over the harbour to the zoo. Like Steve said, plan to spend the whole day.

Featherdale is also good, lots of Australian species and - like Nanoboy says - they let you pat the koalas. But it's in Western Sydney and it might be difficult for you to get there.

Last option (if you're staying in the city) is Wild Life Sydney at Darling Harbour. Again, native species only. Like Taronga, you can't pat the koala, but they will let you stand right next to it and have your photo taken with it.

:p

Hix

8. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I visited several zoos in Sydney last year and I would rank them in this order for UK or Irish visitors.
    1. Featherdale. Lots of Australian animals and a nice flat site with plenty of trees for shade. Some enclosures are a bit ramshackle but staff appear very enthusiastic and dedicated.
    2. Reptile park. as above.
    3. Sydney Aquarium. Dugong, Platypus and huge tanks with great fish displays.
    4. Taronga. Great zoo with a broad collection from around the world as well as native species and the views from the chairlift and the top of the zoo are amazing. Why its down the rankings for me is the very hilly site combined with the intense heat and humidity and the smoking ban. Also very expensive and closes quite early.
    5. Sydney Wildlife. Interesting place with some nice exhibits would take about 2 hours at most.
    To be fair to Taronga, I am sure my visit would have been more enjoyable if the weather had been a bit milder (late Nov. and near 40c) and the complete smoking ban peeved me
    because there was no obvious notification of this till it was announced inside the Zoo.
    All of the above and other Australian Zoos put great effort into the keeper talks and displays and I found these to be very informative and educational.
    Anyway hope this is of some help.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2013