Join our zoo community

Best Zoological City

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by The_UltimateBea, 2 Jul 2017.

1. Alex Bensky

Alex Bensky Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm not sure I'd include Boston in this. It has two zoos and the one in Franklin Park is better than it used to be, but neither one is very good. I would, however, add Chicago. It has two fine zoos in Lincoln Park and Brookfield. The former is right in town and is free...parking is quite expensive but Chicago has a decent transit system and it's easily reachable by bus or a brisk walk from the L train.

Brookfield is in the suburbs but the commuter train stops nearby.

Pleistohorse likes this.
  2. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I agree. Of all the cities I've visited Berlin is, without doubt, my favourite for zoological attractions.
    I would definitely include Chicago as one of the great zoological cities. In addition to the two zoos, Brookfield and Lincoln Park, the Shedd Aquarium is my very favourite aquarium.

I don't know anything about the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum but Chicago's Field Museum of Natural History is one of my favourite natural history museums, second only to New York's American Museum of Natural History.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2017
    birdsandbats and snowleopard like this.
  3. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

After the exceptional example of Singapore, Bangkok must count in Asia with Khao Din, and no less than two public aquaria, and also a butterfly exhibit.

4. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As for Canada, the GTA and surrounding area in Ontario definitely takes the cake. All within a two-three hour drive of each other you have the Toronto Zoo, High Park Zoo, Ripley's Aquarium of Canada, Reptilia, African Lion Safari, Little Rays Reptile Zoo Hamilton, Junglecat World, Clarington Family Outdoor Adventure Park (aka bowmanville zoo), Bird Kingdom, Marineland, Safari Niagara, and I believe one or two more small facilities as well.

5. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

With respect, a 3 hours drive doesn't relate to a Zoological city!! Stick a pin in a map somewhere just south of Birmingham and almost all major zoos in the UK are within 3 hours drive, or several places in mainland Europe and you'll find 20 good zoos within that range probably!

6. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You Europeans and your tiny nations make me chuckle. Three hours is nothing in Canada, a mere day trip, lol.

snowleopard likes this.
  7. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I totally agree. On many of my zoo trips over the years I've often visited a zoo and then driven 5-6 hours to the next one! If I lived in a major European city I would probably have visited double the zoos that I have in my lifetime...admittedly a scary thought! :p

8. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Three hours is nothing to me either, I regularly do day round trips of 5 hours plus! You've missed the point entirely ( maybe deliberately) , what you listed within 3 hours for the GTA area doesn't 'take the cake' as you put it, it's more like the left over crumbs compared to what us Europeans in our tiny nations can see within a 3 hour radius!!

snowleopard likes this.
  9. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oi Canucks, no Euro-bashing on Christmas Eve, eh! Yeah, that's right - some of us smart tiny nations start with the present unwrapping frenzy on the eve of the 24th of December to have a head start - while you're still on the road home for hours. ;) :p:D:D:DMerry Christmas to all of you.

10. The Speeding Carnotaurus

The Speeding Carnotaurus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Perhaps we should include other zoological features such as wildlife? For instance, San Diego also has a beautiful coast home to sunfish, blue and mako sharks, and whales.

11. Alex Bensky

Alex Bensky Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm not sure why you'd list Boston. They do have two zoos but while the one in Franklin Park has improved, neither one is very good.

I'd put in a vote for Chicago--two very fine zoos, in suburban Brookfield and Lincoln Park, and a great aquarium.

12. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Loyalty.

I factored two Zoos, The New England Aquarium, two pretty good Natural History Museums, and Boston’s ego-infused underdog reputation.....as befits the Hub.

;)