Join our zoo community

BIAZA awards results 2011

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 10 Dec 2011.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Having reviewed the awards I've got to say there's a, not unexpected, whiff of politics in there. Whilst I'm sure all the recipients of awards carried out work of some merit it seems to me there's a little bit of "everyone gets something/spread the awards around" mentality.

I also can't quite see why Himalaya (opened Easter-ish (?) 2010) got an award re 2011, unless it was because the awards were held at Twycross:). Personally I think London's Penguin Beach, which actually opened in 2011, was considerably better (better interpretative material by far -Twycross is not even close in this respect, in fact I'm struggling to think where their labelling & facts for the Snow Leopards are?).

3. Tunanta

Tunanta Well-Known Member

I had only limited experience of the BIAZA awards during my time in zoos but from what I recall the zoos have to nominate themselves for awards-they have to put together an application of some kind with details of the project and justifying why it should win. My experience was on the education/conservation side though and it was a while ago so it might be different for exhibits. If its the same still then I would guess it takes time to put the nomination together so maybe theres a delay time between an exhibit opening and being entered for an award?

4. Cheburban

Cheburban Well-Known Member

Pretty much spot on still.

5. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So does this mean BIAZA allocate the awards based on applications received rather than visiting and assessing the exhibits themselves?

I'm not criticising the process if this is the case (though I do think it would diminish the awards for exhibits a little) as I can understand there might be practical/logistical problems otherwise (especially, for instance, judging conservation/research which might be completed) but I am keen to understand the process.