Join our zoo community

BIAZA Membership

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by FunkyGibbon, 8 Feb 2015.

1. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I have a somewhat noobish question that I'm sure some of the more experienced members of the forum can answer. I've been lurking on here for a month now, and I'm really enjoying reading all the arguments past and present.

I made a list of all the UK zoos I wanted to visit a while back and I'm working my way through it. I made the assumption that zoos that were not members of BIAZA were not worth visiting, or even should not be visited.

It's clear that there are some collections that are not members that are really popular with zoochatters, like the Aspinall parks, Cotswold, Hamerton and RSCC, and everything I've read makes me think these are excellent zoos. Is it a politics thing or are there other reasons why a zoo would not be part of BIAZA?

Thanks in advance.

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Cotswold and Hamerton are both very good zoos, membership of BIAZA I think is a matter of choice for the zoo concerned.

3. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

I agree it is a matter of choice for the zoo, some places would not welcome some of the restrictions imposed by BIAZA.

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Some of the ones that have been listed are members of EAZA instead,while some aren't members of either for reason that are unique to each collection!

5. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

I also think that BIAZA does not allow certain collections to join their membership such as paradise wildlife park which i think was over the white lion breeding situation. :confused:

6. FunkyGibbon

I was actually at PWP last weekend and and they are a member. There is a discussion in the PWP thread about why breeding white lions is different to white tigers, and PWP won't be breeding theirs.
    Are the reasons zoos chose not to be a member known? That's what I find interesting.

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

It's known in a few cases, but I suspect that it is best that those of us who know the reasons don't comment on the matter.

8. FunkyGibbon

Fair enough. I imagine if I stick around I'll find out eventually.