Join our zoo community

big Asian hornbills in walkthrough exhibit

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by condor, 25 Nov 2010.

Tags:
  1. condor

condor Well-Known Member

Many zoos have had smaller African hornbills like Tockus species and Trumpeter Hornbill in walkthrough exhibits. Even some of the larger African hornbills have been kept with moderate success in walkthrough exhibits.

What about the big Asian hornbills from genera Aceros, Buceros and Rhyticeros? Like Rhinoceros, Great, Knobbed/Island, Wreathed/Bar-pouched and Papuan/Blyth's Hornbill? They couldn't be kept safely with smaller birds because they would eat them but anyone know of cases where they have been kept in walkthrough exhibits with any sort of success? Kept alone or with other species (birds or mammals)?

Last edited: 25 Nov 2010
  2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Kuala Lumpur Bird Park had a walkthrough for Rhinoceros Hornbills (and I think a second species) when I was there in 2001. I may have some photos - I'll have a look about.

3. condor

condor Well-Known Member

4. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The only case i remember is that Burgers' Zoo in Arnhem kept a pair of wrinkled hornbills in their giant Bush for a while. Everything went fine, untill they bred and insisted on feeding their youngster with live feed from the hall, mainly chicks of other endangered birds...

Now they sometimes keep a single animal (usually young offspring) in there for a while, untill they find a mate for them somewhere else. That seems to work fine, but it's also the biggest "aviary" I know...

5. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I oersonally know one big Asian hornbill who would be delighted with the chance to bash lots of people on the head

6. Birdman7487

Birdman7487 Well-Known Member

Jungle World at the bronx has had some of the larger asian species such as wrinkled and great indians on exhibit where the guests walk through.

7. condor

condor Well-Known Member

Thanks to people who has responded so far. If anyone know of more examples please add them. The Wrinkled was deliberately left out of the first post because it is one of the smallest hornbills from these genera. Much smaller than for example Great or Rhinoceros. But the behavior of Wrinkled is similar so good to include it also. Perhaps not clear from first post but emphasis should be placed on cases where it was a success. Not necessarily succesful breeding in a walkthrough exhibit but at least not killing other species and not being to aggressive to humans that enter the exhibit. FBBird mentions their aggression and I have had a Knobbed/Island Hornbill poke at me. Perhaps more curious than aggressive but it would still hurt if it hit. Until moved to an aviary with smaller mesh size the same bird sometimes killed sparrows that entered its aviary.

8. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

The Kansas City Zoo, I beleive, had silvery-cheeked hornbills in their aviary when the opened Africa in 1994, but after showing aggresion, "caged" them in a seperate exhibit.

9. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zoo Frankfurt has had a bigger specie of hornbill in the walk-thru part of its bird house. I think that was in the 1960ies or 1970ies. Don't remember what kind of hornbill it was exactly.
    And I think there were also hornbills in some mixed-aviaries in Weltvogelpark (Birdpark) Walsrode.

10. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Years ago Penscynor had a Great hornbill at liberty and inter-acting with visitors , never seen that elsewhere .

11. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The male of the G.I pair that was previously at Cotswold WP looked aggressive and would display threateningly at people by chittering his bill. I think there was a warning notice on the Aviary about him too. I don't think he would have been a very good candidate for a walkthrough aviary...

12. siamang27

siamang27 Well-Known Member

I'm almost positive that San Diego had a hornbill species in the Parker Aviary the first time I visited (knobbed hornbill maybe?)
    Not a walk-through exhibit but in one of San Antonio's millions of bird aviaries, there was a Wreathed Hornbill, Green Wood-hoopoes, Dusky-headed Conures and I think a curassow of some kind.

13. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Parker has a side aviary for hornbills, they are not in the walk-through section

14. siamang27

That's how it was last time but I was almost positive there was a hornbill in the walk-through the first time I went...I guess I'm thinking of another zoo or something...

15. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

There was a pair of Red-knobbed Hornbills on the separate section, but there was a pair of a smaller species, but I can't remember the name, in the walk-through section when I was there.

16. siamang27

That's probably what I was thinking of then...

17. condor

condor Well-Known Member

Thanks to people that have responded. Unless many years ago or very recent I don't remember Walsrode having had large species of Asian hornbill in a walkthrough aviary. They have had some like Knobbed and White-crowned in the Indonesia rainforest hall but in special cages (not free flying in the hall). From replies here and private emails I got it seems big Asian hornbills are mostly not suitable for walkthrough aviaries especially if in breeding mood where they can be territorial even against humans and are more carnivorous than usual. Not a surprise really.

18. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would say that this presentation technique is a definite no-no. Not good for the birds (in terms of breeding prospects and predation on other species) and the general public (safety and territoriality space).

19. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

20. easytigger

easytigger Well-Known Member

Lok Kawi wildlife park in Sabah has a big walk through with several species of hornbill in it, along with a range of other birds, worth a look for sure :)