Join our zoo community

big cat sighting in Plymouth

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by dean, 2 Jul 2015.

1. bigcat speciali

bigcat speciali Well-Known Member

20150704_221546.jpg picture of the story

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Looking at the original photo again. Colour is right for a Fox, and the truncated-shaped tail too. Add sharp/pricked ears hidden by the 'fence' bar and it would be clear what it is.

3. bigcat speciali

Herald Express readers reveal that Beast of Dartmoor 'sighting' is a HOAX
    Herald Express readers reveal that Beast of Dartmoor 'sighting' is a HOAX | Torquay Herald Express

The picture shown within the article "Mystery ‘beast’ spotted roaming Plymouth suburbs" at Mystery ‘beast’ spotted roaming Plymouth suburbs - Telegraph is being reported as one or two possibilities. First being a fox, the second being a fake, another photoshopped picture. The numbers of people claiming it to be the best cat picture yet, it is of a savannah cat, an expensive cross between a serval (exotic cat) and a domestic.

Attached Files:

4. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

To my mind - red fox (like many others have stated). Tail is too thick and held stiffly for it to be a cat, domestic or exotic/wild crossbreed.
    Are there any Savannahs held in the UK?

5. bigcat speciali

Some crypto websites are now claiming that a woman has come forward saying that it was her dog that was in the picture, that being a Vizsla, nothing to confirm this. There are plenty of people who sell Savannah cts such as Bulgari cats: Bulgari cats although legally this site fails to state hat you require a DWA for F1. Google Savannah Cats UK and you get many hits including: Savannah Cats and Kittens for sale | Strawbell Pedigree Cats|Top Class Savannah Cat.. and Tylands Savannah cats for sale uk and Kittens for sale UK Savannah Breeders Shipping in the UK and Europe You will also find an article: African wildcat on the loose in Surrey is found | Daily Mail Online

6. Pertinax

Nothing very Vizla like about this animal, particularly the tail.

If you look at the head, it presents two alternatives- either a 'foxy' face with two eyes, looking toward the left/camera) but with ears hidden by fence line, or alternatively, a round-headed cat-type head looking forwards. but the tail is neither cat or dog like, its a brush like a fox. :confused:

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I actually didn't even realise there was a fence horizontal running across the top of the animal's head! That's why I kept thinking greyhound. But yes, put something more solid there to represent the fence and it can be easily seen that it is a fox with the ears hidden.

8. bigcat speciali

Taking the image, then zoom in at 400%. You find that the red markings to the rump and rear leg plus lower front leg, these do not match anything else within the picture, and there are two pictures overlapping each other, hinting at photoshop. The cable or rope or, wire that goes over the body fails to match the head area as it appears that the snout and mouth area goes over but the head goes under the cable. The right front leg appears to be missing and the front left appears to be bent, as in a horse in canter. The plank at the top appears to be going through the head and far left then disapears. What ever this image is, is that it is two images cropped onto each other, the first image being red in colour, grey and red, with the original colour being red or reddish in colour.

Attached Files:

9. Pertinax

Are these not all artefacts produced by the poor quality imaging these types of photos produce? Along with the random black dots I see on the body. The'plank' above the head disappears because it is hidden by the wooden structure far left. I still think this is an image of a genuine animal, however poor or confusing it may be.

10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

yeah looks fine to me. It is a poor photo taken through glass (a window) - likely on a phone - with relections off the glass causing some distortion of the overall image. That's how I see it.

11. bigcat speciali

Yes, there is a genuine animal in the picture but of what still remains a mystery.