Join our zoo community

Big cats and wild dogs

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Hunting dogs, 20 Oct 2014.

1. Hunting dogs

Hunting dogs Well-Known Member

Does anybody know the names, sexes and ages of the wolves, raccoon dogs, red foxes, cheetahs Siberian lynxes currently living at Dartmoor Zoo? I did not see the Iberian wolves during my recent visit - a keeper called Tom told me that they were in an enclosure beyond the 3 timber wolves I was watching. One of these wolves was dark grey and the other 2 were creamy - are they the only timber wolves the zoo has got now? I have also heard something about a hybrid pack - is that here now?

2. Drago

Drago Well-Known Member

I visited back in January (but won't be going again anytime soon!). I can remember some of the names

Raccoon Dogs: Tanuki & Akemi (both F)
    Cheetah: Sita (F)
    Red Fox: Bramble (F)

3. J0nny666

J0nny666 Member

Wolves: The Iberian wolves are Carlos, Raoul and Gregorio, and they are three years old. The timber wolves and hybrids at the zoo belong to the wolf behaviourist Shaun Ellis, who's keeping them at the zoo until a new site can be acquired for them. The names and sexes Drago wrote are correct, however I'm uncertain of the ages. The Siberian Lynx are Kiruna (F) and Lesley (M).

4. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

Think the male red fox is simply called foxy

5. J0nny666

J0nny666 Member

There is only the female fox Bramble now, Foxy died years ago...

6. Red Fox

Red Fox Active Member

There were 2 packs of timber wolves belonging to Shaun Ellis - one on display and one off. The hybrids have now been moved to their base in Cornwall. It proved impossible for them to get the necessary permission to house the wolves at their home base despite having moved three times - the wolves were signed over to Dartmoor Zoo but as yet the zoo has not committed to keeping them long term. At the moment they do not appear on radar which is a bit of a worry. Have been searching for news of them.