Join our zoo community

Berlin Zoo BIG plans for Zoo Berlin

Discussion in 'Germany' started by kiang, 1 Oct 2015.

1. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@markmeier: Absolutely agree with your last phrase (although I have to say that collectionwise, the rivaltry had its advantages not only for the visitors but also for the directors of both institutions ("We have something that the evil capitalists/communists don't have"):p;))...

2. markmeier

markmeier Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@zoomaniac Without the this rivalry as a driving force back in the day, Tierpark Berlin probably wouldn't be in existence (definitely not with large and ambitious buildings like Brehm or pachydermy building). So you are probably quite right.

But I mostly remember the era after the German reunification which wasn't easy for the Tierpark and not fully satisfactory for either zoo. I hope both will sharpen their own profile much more now.

Cat-Man, AWP and StoppableSan like this.
  3. aramacao

aramacao Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi, I'm from Spain. I'll travel to Germany in august with some friends and we want yo visit the Berlin Zoo and the Berlin Tierpark. We see some buildings of the Zoo are now closed, by the Covid19 crisis. Which exhibits are now closed? Aquarium? Aviary? House of carnivores? Do you know if the buildings will be opened in finals of august?

4. markmeier

markmeier Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As Berlin zoo is both far smaller and more frequented, Tierpark may grant better chances to get inside buildings by August. Presently, all buildings are closed except for restaurants and toilets. This also means you cannot enter the Aquarium at all. But I would recommend checking the websites before you visit (things may change).

You also should be aware that you need to book online (they sell limited tickets for each day and you have to choose a time slot, when you are going to enter). This is true for both Zoo and Tierpark by the way.

aramacao likes this.
  5. Benobo88

Benobo88 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Can someone tell me where the cassowary are housed at Zoo Berlin. They are listed within the collection on ZTL, but cannot remember seeing them when I've visited unless any species are in the elephant house as I've not been in there before.

6. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think they are in a paddock behind the pheasantary, beyond the flamingo aviaries.
    I missed them too

Benobo88 likes this.
  7. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Me too!