Join our zoo community

Felids in Australasian Zoos – News, History and Discussion

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zoofan15, 30 Nov 2017.

1. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Jarrah, the elderly lioness at Werribee Open Range Zoo, was put to sleep yesterday at the age of 19. From the zoo's Facebook page:
    Zoos Victoria

Zoofan15 likes this.
  2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The end of an era for Zoos Victoria. Jarrah (born 2000 at Melbourne Zoo) was at least third generation of her family to live at Zoo Victoria - stretching back to her grandmother, Juliana; and mother, Jespah (born 1990 at Melbourne Zoo). Unless Juliana was a founder, this family line may have gone back even further.

Jarrah’s family lives on in the region through her niece, Kiamba (born 2004 at Adelaide Zoo); and Kiamba’s offspring, Mlinzi and Makena (born 2013 at Monarto Zoo); as well as in the memories of the generations of zoo visitors they’ve inspired.

Tafin, Jambo and Zorro like this.
  3. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

How was Maalo, father of Kiamba, descended from Juliana?

4. Zoofan15

Maalo was the grandson of Juliana. He and his littermate (Jasiri) were born at Melbourne Zoo in 1999 to one of Juliana's daughters. I'm not sure if his dam was Jespah or Gopah. Jespah produced Jarrah's litter (5.1 cubs) the following year, but not until December; so especially if Maalo was born early 1999, this would have been possible.

Tafin, Zorro and Jambo like this.
  5. Jambo

Monarto Zoo Lion Keeper Talk

Not really news, but I found this Keeper talk about some of Monarto Zoo’s Lions (Kashka, Kito, Kubwa, Nia, Husani, and Makena). It’s quite interesting to note that Kubwa is the dominant male of the three brothers. Makena was also cycling at the time (one week ago).

Security Check

Last edited: 12 May 2020
  6. Zoofan15

That means chances are high Kubwa sired the two litters with Husani and Nia. I’m not sure if they’d confirm this with a DNA test though, since them being full brothers makes paternity negligible. I’d be interested to know if Kubwa was the alpha male from the start. Tombo was the dominant male at Auckland Zoo, until the brothers turned five and the females were introduced. Tonyi assumed dominance and maintained it until their deaths.

It’ll be good if Makena breeds, as her line is marginally more valuable than the others. If not, her twin brother has recently gone into a breeding situation.

Tafin and Jambo like this.
  7. WhistlingKite24

Billabong Zoo Snow Leopard Keeper Talk:

Billabong Zoo has released an update on their three ageing snow leopards: males Khumbu (aged 15) and Sabu (aged 13), and female Samarra (aged 18). It's not often the zoo posts an update on their snow leopards so it's good to see the three of them are still alive and well.

Source: Billabong Zoo's Facebook page

Billabong Zoo

Zorro, Jambo and Zoofan15 like this.
  8. Zoofan15

Jahzara (2011-2018)

Unfortunately, Jahzara the lioness has passed away at Mogo Zoo. I suspected she had, as there had been almost no mention of her since her arrival in early 2018; and her intended mate, Baako, has since been paired with Chitwah - to produce Phoenix in December 2019.

I contacted Mogo Zoo, who sadly confirmed that she died of an unanticipated medical related cause not long after her arrival. They gave no further elaboration.

Jahzara was born at Monarto Zoo 03/05/2011. She was the first surviving offspring of Kiamba, who had a stillborn litter of cubs in 2007. Kiamba went on to produce a third litter of 1.1 in 2013. They are both in breeding situations. The male is at Taronga Western Plains Zoo; while the female remains at Monarto, where she will hopefully breed with one of their new males.

0.1 Kiamba (21/01/2004) Maalo x Amali/Yizi
    0.1 Jahzara (03/05/2011) Leroy x Kiamba
    1.0 Mlinzi (18/06/2013) Leroy x Kiamba
    0.1 Makena (18/06/2013) Leroy x Kiamba

Kiamba and her two surviving offspring are now the only direct descendants of Juliana at Melbourne Zoo, whose granddaughter Jarrah died this month at Werribee Open Range Zoo.

Jahzara’s media debut: https://imgur.com/I1owx.jpg

Tafin, Zorro, Jambo and 1 other person like this.
  9. WhistlingKite24

Ballarat’s Plan to Breed Sumatran Tigers:

It was mentioned in a news article today about male Satu’s 15th birthday that Ballarat Wildlife Park has plans to breed from Satu and Maneki - arguably the most genetically valuable pair in the region. The relevant section from the article:
    Birthday cheer for Ballarat Wildlife Park's teenage tiger Satu

Jambo and Zorro like this.
  10. WhistlingKite24

Wild Cat Conservation Centre has imported a pair of five-month-old Clouded Leopards!! From the zoo's Facebook page:
    Wild Cat Conservation Centre

Jambo, Tafin and Zorro like this.
  11. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just WOW

marmolady likes this.
  12. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

From what zoo? I think Australia now should be added to my thread depending from what continent these clouded leopards are. This is very good!! :):):)

13. Zoofan15

This is amazing news! I honestly thought the Sri Lankan leopard would be the only new cat species the region would be seeing for a long time to come. What will the WCCC amaze us with next? Jaguar? Temminck’s golden cat? #WishfulThinking

I can’t find a source on where they came from. This link says they came from a European Zoo (there 20 European holdings so that narrows it down): PressReader.com - Your favorite newspapers and magazines.

As far as I’m aware, these are the first Clouded leopard Neofelis nebulosa since a pair was imported to Taronga Zoo from the USA in 1993. The male of which died at Taronga Zoo in 2005; and the female at Melbourne Zoo in 2008.

Tigergal, marmolady, Jambo and 2 others like this.
  14. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

This is so exciting!! Thanks @Zoofan15 , I will find out soon.

15. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would hope other zoos within the region also add them so we dont go down the same old old road as often happens before with such small numbers being held here

Last edited: 16 May 2020
    marmolady and Tafin like this.
  16. Jambo

Not really Big Cats in Australasia News, but some news on Kura’s brother, Chadwick:

Chadwick, Kura’s brother, died in December 2019, at the age of 21, He was Santa Barbara’s last lion (as they currently don’t have any). It’s an impressive age for any lion, but especially for a male. There are some photos of him in the article and he looks quite like Kura.

Chadwick, the Santa Barbara Zoo’s Elderly Lion, Has Died

Last edited: 19 May 2020
    Tafin likes this.
  17. WhistlingKite24

Monarto Lion Cub Naming Competition:

Monarto Safari Park is running a naming competition for their four lion cubs. The zoo have come up with the following names for the females:

Zahara - flower
    Chikondi - love
    Adira - majestic
    Ari - lion
    Roho - spirit
    Amara - strength

The zoo are also asking for members of the public to come up with a name for the male lion cub.
    Competition: Help to name our lovely lion cubs - Monarto Safari Park

Jambo likes this.
  18. WhistlingKite24

Some sad news from the Wild Cat Conservation Centre. Kian, their male Caracal kitten has unfortunately died due to lung problems. His female sibling Kora is still doing well. The regional population now stands at 1.6. From their Facebook page:
    Security Check

Jambo likes this.
  19. Zoofan15

Does anyone know how many Sumatran tigers Mogo Zoo have?

20. WhistlingKite24

Taronga Zoo - Sumatran Tiger Update:

The three cubs born in 2019 are growing up fast and now weigh around 70-80 kilograms. The keeper said around 2:20 that the cubs - especially the two females - will most likely enter into breeding situations in Australia or even New Zealand.

Source: Taronga Zoo's Facebook page

Taronga Zoo Sydney

Jambo and Zoofan15 like this.