Join our zoo community

Big Week at the Zoo

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Badgerman91, 16 Aug 2018.

1. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nice to see brief footage of at least one of Chester's trio of female Giant Tortoises in their new home at Crocodiles of the World tonight on this programme. It looks like a really cool place.

14556 likes this.
  2. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

After watching the programme last night I am now making plans to visit Crocodiles of the world, it looks very interesting and well presented.

3. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's well worth a visit. They have the most active fishing cat I've ever seen, and there are free roaming day geckos in the main croc house.

4. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

I planned at the start of the summer to do a day trip to there and CWP next week, now it is going to be even busier - good for them, not for me! I haven't been since they got the fishing cat, and I do like small cats.

5. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As a zoo enthusiast I would have like to have seen animals in their enclosures rather than in ultra close up and fewer people and chit chat BUT its great to have a mainstream program showcasing UK zoos.

FBBird likes this.
  6. Sand Cat

I've enjoyed this programme but was really annoyed tonight when Nick Baker was asking some of the team from Colchester how they came to have African Elephants, and Helen Skelton interrupted and asked which elephant species is the best - so rude and a shame as a good question got brushed aside for a very juvenile discussion! Otherwise though, its been a great show and I'm sorry its ending tomorrow. It seems to have done YWP and zoos in general a LOT of good though, so this has to be seen as a positive thing - I hope another series is made.

7. Badgerman91

Badgerman91 Well-Known Member

I just watched last nights episode and was just logged on to make the same point! Surely they could have gotten another presenter with some/more knowledge of how insitu and exsitu conservation works and just animals in general!

8. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They could have but the program producers probably got the presenter to ask childish questions to reflect their view of the target audience. Classic dumbing down.

They need to think more about their target audience.

You (we all) need to email them constructive views as to how good it was to see such a program and what you would like to see going forward. Not many people email tv stations. Use this opportunity.

I understand why it was what it was but now we have an opportunity to ask for a program more suited to the zoo enthusiast.

Don't forget more people visit zoos than go to football matches and how many hours does that get a week?

Sand Cat likes this.
  9. Sand Cat

I suspect its what a lot of viewers would prefer to see though. That said, most of the negative comments about this series on social media have been about the presenters/reporters rather than the stories they've covered - so maybe it is something to think about.

I guess the people behind the scenes thought that Nick's passion for bugs and reptiles would need someone to gush over cute baby animals and ask daft questions to make for a more mainstream programme.

By the way, there is a Twitter account for this series - @bigweekatthezoo - if anyone wants to give them basic feedback.

10. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Maybe I'm biased , because my dislike of the grossly overpriced Longleat is well known, but I much prefer this series and its presenters to the very irritating 'Longleat is great ` Animal Park, at least it`s representative of UK zoos and I'd much rather see YWP get publicity than that rip off safari Park in Wiltshire!

BeakerUK likes this.
  11. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I suspect Helen Skelton was picked as eye candy, which definitely works. However, I've enjoyed having zoo stuff on telly every night -- more please!!!

pipaluk likes this.
  12. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Absolutely!

13. Sand Cat

Why does the female co-presenter have to be reduced to being 'eye candy' though? I agree that is presumably why she was chosen, but I think its a terrible way to think. Can you imagine a female naturalist presenting alongside a conventionally good looking but slightly dim young man with no knowledge of wildlife? Somehow, sadly, I doubt it, which I think highlights a real problem in the way these programme makers think.

I feel that presenters should be chosen for their knowledge and enthusiasm; if they can get someone who's also good-looking, bonus, but it shouldn't be the primary concern. It would be nice for the woman not to just ask silly questions and listen to the man share his knowledge.

Still a good series overall, but Helen got on my nerves more as the week went on! Either Nick Baker or Steve Leonard presenting solo would have actually been preferable, in my opinion. Let them talk to 'Carnivore Kim' (I bet she'll be sick of hearing that name soon!) and other female experts to balance things out.

14. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

So is this Helen Skelton some sort of British institution? I googled her and there's all sorts of raving about how great she is (and lots devoted to what she was wearing on each episode). But she seems really kind of dumb and annoying. Although I see she did kayak down the Amazon which is pretty cool.

15. Sand Cat

I wouldn't call her an institution exactly! She's a fairly popular TV presenter who started off doing children's programmes. I'm afraid a lot of people get very excited about pretty women who wear nice clothes and don't do a great deal more! I think you've summed up fairly well to be honest. I'm sure she's pleasant enough but not a great choice for a zoo programme IMO.

16. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think Michaela Stachen or Saba Douglas Hamilton (BBC big cat week) or Dr Alice Roberts (Wild Swimming) or all three would have done a sterling job - all intellectual & experienced when it comes to wildlife conservation and confident in their appearance to boot!
    I thought all zoos highlighted came out looking good.

Sand Cat likes this.
  17. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I very much enjoyed it. It's a shame that some people get hung up on not having the perfect presenter to cater for everyone's taste.

Zia, Ned, BeakerUK and 2 others like this.
  18. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I saw this news and figured this would be the place to put it.

Big Week at the Zoo returns this evening on Channel 5. A total of 13 zoological parks in the UK will feature, including Bristol Zoo (with features on its Asiatic lions and Aldabran giant tortoises) and Wild Place (about the development of Bear Wood). I have included a link from the Wild Place news page about the upcoming series.

Wild Place Project to feature on Big Week at the Zoo - Wildplace

19. Sand Cat

I'll miss this tonight but hope to see some of the episodes later in the week. If anyone sees it could they possibly post which species and collections appear? Thanks.

20. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I thought Animal Park was bad....oh boy this is worse.

Some nice little segments but the overall it is awful. Why are they letting a celebrity vet treat an animal he has no experience with?