Join our zoo community

Big Week at the Zoo

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Badgerman91, 16 Aug 2018.

1. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

It was pretty poor. I don't understand why Helen Skelton has decided to come across as a dizzy blonde - I'm sure I've seen her doing serious presenting on Countryfile?

2. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Yes she acts a bit silly. Format is really weird too, do they film the presenters live at YWP?

3. amaroc

amaroc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would say the other guy standing with them was the zoo vet and supervising the treatment

4. taun

taun Well-Known Member

If this is the case, they should make this clear. As it was it looked very unproffesional.

5. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My problems with Skelton are:

1. Her silly style;
    2. Her diction, which is dreadful. There are whole sentences I can't follow; not helped by:
    3. The pitch of her voice, which frightens the bats in the loft. (I have a hearing impairment and wear hearing aids which do not cope well with her squeaky voice)

Watching last night's at the moment. Why don't they use the woman who does the voiceovers? She speaks clearly with well modulated pitch.

Sand Cat likes this.
  6. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think TV people think we want to see celebs doing EVERYTHING nowadays and believe that the world would stop turning without them!

7. Sand Cat

I think the YWP stuff was recorded "as live" last week.

8. taun

taun Well-Known Member

It is on channel 5 so should not expect much really.

9. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Having now watched it ... what a disjointed, disappointing mish-mash it was!

10. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

OK, given all the negative comments so far, I will give my opinion.
    Firstly, I don't think this programme is meant to be purely a documentary, I think it is meant as entertainment for the masses, not zoonerd critics and the zoos that have taken part will hope to gain some visitors from it(not a bad thing I would suggest!).
    In the context of the series in it's current form Helen Skelton is fine. I think given it's the summer holidays this is aimed at the 10-14,age group as well as older people.

If you don't like it, don't bother watching it, but I suspect all the zoos featured will benefit!
    The only bad bit for me was the celebrity vet with the tapir.

I will continue to watch for what it is, I suggest others watch and accept that or don't bother to watch it!

Ps I'd much rather YWP and other zoos got exposure than Longleat via the BBC!! I will never watch that on principle! Long live Big Week at the Zoo! (and Helen)

Last edited: 20 Aug 2019
    Zia likes this.
  11. amaroc

amaroc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Surely the celebrity vet with the giant tortoise was far more evasive.
    Wonder what will be next ?

12. taun

taun Well-Known Member

On what principle?

I can critise a programme but still enjoy bits of it. Last night the polar bit was interesting, even if I found the presenter silly. TBH the bits where the main presenters are not in it are the best bits. 10-14 age group would not think this is cool...

Last night there was a programme on that cut from one scene to another as if it was the same day but in fact it was entirely different country and obviously not the same day! Which is really annoying but still its interesting enough to warrant to continue watching.

13. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Obviously everyone has the right to criticise, my point was only that it appeared that those criticising really didn't like the programme so I couldn't see the point in them continuing to watch it and then criticise it continuously. Thanks for clarifying.
    I was not suggesting the programme is perfect by any means, just that I felt it was worth watching, there were some good bits and that it gives publicity to the UK zoo community.

OK, perhaps 14 was stretching it, maybe 8-11?

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Aug 2019
  14. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I am an old man in a young mans body, I moan about everything. ;)

pipaluk likes this.
  15. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I watched it for the first time last night, and thought some parts were very interesting (the lion introductions at Bristol and the YWP polar bear training). Yes, the rest was like a seriously dumbed-down Springwatch, but those bits aren't aimed at me. I'll probably watch again, but know I can pay less attention to some parts.

Zia and pipaluk like this.
  16. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Speaking as an old man in an old man's body, I find it bearable with the sound switched off and subtitles on - the mistakes in the subtitles are far funnier than the carefully scripted 'jokes' (indeed almost as funny as the presenters' hairstyles). On the other hand, it does make The Secret Life ... look like a multiple BAFTA winner.

17. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Might try that, I would have sound off on the Football but I like to here the noise of the crowd.

18. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

All these programmes Big Week at the Zoo, Animal Park and SLOTZ are all put on for entertainment purposes and yes there are bits of all of them that don't appeal to everybody. I much prefer Animal Park than Big Week for instance.

19. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I find the programme frustrating. Frustrating on the basis that I love the idea; of moving around the map among many participating collections. Its just daft in its execution. Why everything has to be presenter-led I do not understand. And its no reflection on the presenters themselves who are delivering what they've been asked to. Honestly, can't we just see stuff rather then watch people talking about stuff?

As for the target age, well it *should* be targeted at a family audience. Challenging, but not too high brow. My children are thirteen and they hate it, and usually give up before the end, because they find the 'talky bits' childish. Unlike SLOTZ which they, quite rightly, love.

Crowthorne likes this.
  20. Sand Cat

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. I was annoyed last night that when the polar bears were let out into their enclosure, more time was spent showing Helen Skelton talking than close-ups of what the bears were doing! I don't mind presenters in moderation, but the animals are the stars. Well, they should be, anyway!

I agree that a show like this should be aimed at families, and I can't see many older children being impressed by the quite frankly patronising presenting style of Skelton. I think Secret Life of the Zoo generally does a good job of appealing to all ages and being educational without being too boring to those viewers with only a passing interest in zoos and wildlife. Maybe some bits are OTT in the drama stakes, but the show does give a good insight into what zoos are about, I think - and it never ceases to amaze me that quite a few of Chester's keepers are better 'presenters' than a lot of actual TV presenters when it comes to providing interesting, informative and entertaining commentary to the events being shown.