Join our zoo community

ZOO Dvůr Králové Biggest Meerkat Enclosure in Europe?

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by Suricate, 22 Aug 2014.

1. Suricate

Suricate Member

(This is my first post, so I'm going to spare a second to say "Hi everybody, nice to be here!")

I found a video of this zoo's meerkat enclosure and I was just blown away by the sheer size of the exhibit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvQRi1_LRl4&index=5&list=FLqZTQf_UvZHcnoE6BIHlNKw According to dodgey google translations, the zoo's official website says that this is the biggest meerkat enclosure in Europe (I wouldn't be surprised if it was the biggest in the world!).

Is anyone able to confirm this?

Pity the meerkats are fat, you'd think they'd look much slimmer/'natural' with so much space!

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Suricate, welcome!

I don´t know if there are any larger enclosures in Europe, but it is possible.

This enclosure in Dvůr covers 600 m2.

I don´t think I´ve ever seen slim meerkats in local zoos. But I´ve seen much fatter ones.

3. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

I guess, Longleats Suricate exhibits could be larger, also Duisburg,Dresden,Cologne and Nuremberg have phantastic and large exhibits for them.

4. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Didn't Combe Martin once claim to have the biggest meerkat enclosure?, or am i thinking of somewhere else?

5. Suricate

Suricate Member

Thanks for the responses and the 'welcome's!

I have seen a few zoos with slim meerkats, but they're hard to come by.

I haven't heard of a lot of the other suggested zoos, I'm going to look them up. Cheers guys.