Join our zoo community

Zoo Wuppertal Bili the Bonobo

Discussion in 'Germany' started by littleRedPanda, 1 Feb 2019.

1. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

2. littleRedPanda

Positive reports from the zoo

Gute Nachrichten von den Bonobos

I'd post the translation, but I'm totally confused by the copyright situation now, having ahd a photo deletd from the gallery, but allowed to stay in a thread and previous posts deleted for copy/pasting :D

3. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

A synopsis translation is considered good form :p
    (I appreciate this is an area where communication may not have been fantastic).

littleRedPanda likes this.
  4. littleRedPanda

In summary, the article says:
    Bili's mixing with various selections of the group is going well, with maybe 3 others at a time separated with him. The article feature's videos of him with 55 year old Mato, his constant ally, as well a mother and daughter called Muhdeblu and 5 year old Akeena. The youngster on her own does play with Bili, but unlike before, he can not only tolerate her, but manage to say "enough, ya little brat!" without being ganged up on. Grooming including Bili has also been observed, as well as hanky-panky with Muhdeblu.
    The goal is still to integrate him into the whole group, rather than have two and the possibility of later aggression is still there. The zoo are still working with outside agencies and experts to achieve a manageable group for Bili to blossom within.

To summarise what WAMS and GAP have said about these positive signs:

Actually, WAMS posted 2 tiny clips to highlight how busy their car park has been in line with other zoos expressing how busy they've been.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2019
    marmolady and Brum like this.
  5. littleRedPanda

From today

Rough translation from German:
    Bili now with Birogu and Kichele. Bili was not afraid but very careful and carrying wood wool. He has watched very much and has only paid attention to the distance. It changed after a while and he came closer or followed them. Later, Bili was with Kichele on the top right and you came pretty close for a long time (groomen, etc.)

Another one posted today, but from two sessions

Last edited: 6 Mar 2019
  6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Take away some of the group members and the united 'power' they present is removed. So Bili is no longer the 'victim' and more able to establish positive relationships. They may have to do this a long time though so he establishes a permanent niche for himself, before re-uniting them all, or it still might not work again and they would need to remove some individuals permanently if they want to keep him.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

At the best of times integration of new bonobo is a time-consuming process and particularly so the males given the social structure and hierarchy in a bonobo troupe.

8. littleRedPanda

My friend has told me now that Another male,Birungo, has suffered some injuries recently, leading to WAMS claiming that Bili and Mato should be sent with him to Wales for their safety.

They recently rescued other monkeys from Spain ….. how many animals are they ignoring in order to complete these more romantic causes? Are ther really no other less exotic animals in 'poor' conditions closer to Swansea?

9. littleRedPanda

"On the recommendation of the European Conservation Breeding Program (EEP), the zoo has now decided to send Eja to another zoo in good time so that the bonobo males have the chance to finally integrate properly."

Affen: Angriffe auf Bonobo Birogu im Wuppertaler Zoo

marmolady and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  10. leo811

leo811 Well-Known Member

LittleRedPanda ... Who says WAMS is ignoring other Animals in their care?

11. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don’t believe LittleRedPanda was saying that. I think they were saying that there are many primates that ‘rescue’ resources would be better utilised for.

12. littleRedPanda

That is not what I was saying, as was recognised by @marmolady