Join our zoo community

Bioparc Fuengirola Bioparc Fuengirola

Discussion in 'Spain' started by kiang, 30 Jan 2009.

1. SivatheriumGuy

SivatheriumGuy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

3. SivatheriumGuy

4. SivatheriumGuy

New individuals:
    The park received a male Himalayan red panda (Ailurus fulgens fulgens) named Chang from Zoo Neuwied. He will be paired up with the park's female red panda Maggie, in the hopes of being able to breed this species from now on. This species shares exhibit with southern cassowaries and Asian short-clawed otters.

Un nuevo ejemplar de panda rojo llega a Bioparc Fuengirola - BIOPARC Fuengirola
    PANDA-ROJO-BIOPARC-FUENGIROLA-1-copia.jpg

5. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

6. SivatheriumGuy

News:
    Ora, the park's female Komodo dragon (Varanus komodoensis) has laid 12 eggs. Fruit of Ora's copulation with Reo, the male who underwent cataract surgery a few months ago.
    The behavior of the reptile gave clues to the team to locate the place where she deposited the eggs. The same day of laying, veterinarians and keepers got down to work to proceed to find them. After more than four hours of excavation and reaching a depth of one meter, they found the eggs layd by said animal.

Ora, la hembra dragón de Komodo de Bioparc Fuengirola, realiza una puesta de doce huevos, fruto de la cópula con Reo - BIOPARC Fuengirola
    web2.jpg

7. SivatheriumGuy

JigerofLemuria, Aramar and twilighter like this.
  8. LuisCostadelSol

LuisCostadelSol New Member

Hola chicos, primero que nada me gustaría compartir más información con vosotros respecto a la amplitud de nuestro parque en Fuengirola. Me llamo Luis y soy uno de los arquitectos al mando de este proyecto.

Me parece fascinante que estéis tan entusiasmados por nuestra ampliación, un proyecto que realmente lleva más de 10 años en diferentes etapas de planificación, llegando finalmente a su ejecución. Indiscutiblemente que será la obra más grande y detallosa de nuestro parque cuando entre en su fase final.

Hoy me gustaría contarles algunos detalles del proyecto, que ha cambiado mucho durante varias etapas. Como anteriormente compartimos con el público mediante las redes sociales, esta área tropical de las Américas, tendrá varias exhibiciones acuáticas, incluyendo un gran tanque basado en la Barrera de Coral Mesoamericana.

Adicionalmente, también existirán recintos con especies representantes del Amazonas, como la nutria de río gigante, el Jaguar, mono araña, mono aullador entre otros. En el futuro, nuestro plan es incluir manatíes en un recinto acuático que ha sido diseñado teniendo en cuenta los requerimientos específicos de estas especies.

Espero esta información sea de su agrado y los esperamos en Bioparc Fuengirola, muchos saludos!

Hello everyone, English is not my first language, but I will do my very best to share details about our upcoming expansion of Bioparc Fuengirola.

Brief introduction first, I'm Luis, the lead architect of the project, one that has been in the works for well over a decade. We had many planning stages and now we are in our execution phase that is coming to an end.

Our expansion of Bioparc Fuengirola focuses on the tropical Americas and it is by far our biggest and most challenging project since the opening of the new park.

As we shared in our social media previously, the center piece of our project is an aquarium, that will represent the Great Mayan Reef in spectacular detail.

In addition to our aquatic exhibitions, we will have a focus on keystone species from the tropical forests of South America, since the climate here in Costa del Sol allows it. Some of these magnificent species are the giant otter, jaguar, spider monkey, howler monkey among others.

In the future it is our goal to add manatees to this exhibition, but they will not be present on the opening phase. We are currently designing a habitat that meets all of the challenging prerequisites that these incredible animals need to thrive in captivity. Our manatees will come from an institution in the State of Florida and will become the biggest colony of its kind in Europe.

Hope you are all as excited as we are and hope to see you soon in our Costa del Sol.

9. SivatheriumGuy

Those sound like exciting developments @LuisCostadelSol! Thanks for sharing all this information with us, I can't wait to see what turns out of this project.
    And wow, biggest manatee colony in Europe? That sounds very enticing ahahaha. I hope this new area has a bunch of aviaries too, you never have enough birds.
    Do you know if more sketches/renders of exhibits and areas might pop up any time soon? I can't wait to see more things of this project.

10. LuisCostadelSol

We have many beautiful birds from the American tropics within our collection, many can be seen in our theater presentation. Birds will be included in the new exhibition thru the immersion process that our institutions are known for. As this project will be the biggest dedicated space within any European zoo as far as species count from the American Tropics, there will also be a number of bird species.

While we will not have a dedicated aviary, there is a section of the exhibition that will be fully netted and allows visitors to observe the animal habitats from a variation of points of view. In this enclosure selected bird species like scarlet Ibis and southern screamer among others will share the space with mammals like the anteater. There are also bird species integrated within the aquatic areas like the White-faced whistling duck and Brazilian Teal.

Staff will be interacting with visitors thru animal ambassador stations within the areas and here we are planning on exhibiting birds like the toco toucan.

As far as renderings of the exhibition, I'm happy to communicate to you that we have been filming a documentary about the process as well as a book that will illustrate the design and execution of the project in many phases.

11. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@LuisCostadelSol: Welcome to zoochat and thank you very much for your infos about the upcoming development steps of Bioparc Fuengirola.

Although I presume where the new South American part will be built (the area where the animal presentation arena currently is?) I kindly ask for a better explanation in this point.

Also, I'm very astonished to read that the manatees should come from Florida and not from a Caribbean institution (or an European zoo). As far as I know, the Floridean subspecies is only kept in Florida and 2 or 3 zoological institutions in the rest of the US and there is a ban (from the US Fish & Wildlife Departement?) to bring this subspecies outside USA and even breeding is not allowed. So did Bioparc Fuengirola get an exemption?

SivatheriumGuy likes this.
  12. LuisCostadelSol

We have annexed an adjacent previously unoccupied area to the current property, an addition to the green area that the city has welcomed, therefore, once the new exhibit is completed the park will be close to 65 percent bigger and allow for an additional project in the future.

As an additional note, this project is taking place opposite of our forest clearing presentation area and is totally unrelated to the future remodeling of this area and adjacent children's space.

As to your second question, this is one, but not the only reason why the manatee colony will not be present from the opening phase. We have been working on this for quite some time, but it was not until recently, thanks to the assistance of the Florida State governor Ron DeSantis, the Tampa Zoological Park and the Manatee County Marine Rescue that our goals become possible.

Such a number of animals could only come from Florida as it would have been impossible with any other partnership. It is very important for the State that this secondary colony thrives, as this has never been attempted before in such scale on the European continent.

Save

Last edited: 2 Sep 2022
  13. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So then I guess the unoccupied green area is the current Parque del Sol, isn't it?

And I cross my fingers that you will get the manatees from Florida then. I for myself appreciate efforts to protect individuals of the Florida manatee also outside of their native range (and eventually also breed them within and outside American institutions). On the other hand I don't know if keeping two subspecies in Europe would be the best solution...

14. LuisCostadelSol

While we do have a plan, for the future in relation to a small area of Parque del Sol, the current allocated area for the Tropical America project is adjacent to our latest Indo Pacific project, the main entrance will begin on the path leading from the Dragons Interpretative Centre.

15. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi LuisCostadelSol!

Very exciting news, many thanks for explain it!
    In how many time do you plan to finish the main works ?
    A few months/ or maybe 2-3 years?

BenFoxster and dublinlion like this.
  16. Sneeuwpanter

Sneeuwpanter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Any chance some new exhibits will be ready by May next year ?
    I will probably be in Fuengirola a few days.

17. SivatheriumGuy

KEEPER, Antoine, kiang and 3 others like this.
  18. SivatheriumGuy

aramacao, Antoine, kiang and 2 others like this.
  19. leone

leone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hello, there are details how design, project on this new Land south america ?

BenFoxster likes this.
  20. SivatheriumGuy

aramacao and Nix like this.