Join our zoo community

Bioparco di Roma Bioparco di Roma

Discussion in 'Italy' started by kiang, 7 Mar 2009.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would concur that both giraffe and tapir are exciting/ meaningful births as both species are rare and/or endangered species. Besides, the Nile lechwe are a definite draw-card (perhaps not for Otto Normalbesucher, but surely from a conservation point of view).

What the national role for Bioparco would be at this moment escapes me - as does how it should best perform this task -, but I do know that Bioparco is back in some morning limelight ... though not yet in very brilliant sunshine. However, being inside the urban center of Roma does give it a national platform ... (at the very least).

The new exhibits for bears, pygmy hippo, giraffe and the Reptilario seem a step in the right direction. Bringing in Asian lions, phasing out the black rhino and common hippo were major steps forward. I would say that Bioparco is best placed to go for the smaller LBJ's and underline these are interesting and not so much mega vertebrates. If it would also provide a platform for more local native species - f.i. the Abruzzo and Appeninne wildlife - that would be a definite plus.

As for a masterplan - I seem to remember Doug Richardson did have one - (and his tenure ultimately led to the renaissance of the Bioparco into something more meaningful than it had been for decades). I agree that ..., which is more the national and federal government is concerned that the administration is seriously lacking in an environmental agenda or - by its own default - supporting zoos as a cultural entity and tradition and education cum conservation mechanism. :mad:

I assume you will agree that from a zoo enthusiast point of view the best Italian zoos currently are Parco Natura Viva, Bussolengo and Parco Zoo Punta Verde, Lignano Sabbiardo. :D

2. colobus

colobus Well-Known Member

Dear K B,
    I do not give high importance to the breeding of hybrid giraffes. I agree about Nile lechwe; in fact I was among the planner of the breeding program at the end of 1980's. No breeding of such species has been allowed in recent years under the new management, as has also been done with Manchurian sika deer and kulan.

Common hippos have not been phased out. Pigmy hippos already occupied the same area, that has been recently renovated. But they have been prevented to breed (!)

I should not forget Parco Faunistico La Torbiera and the Pistoia Zoological Garden

3. Kifaru Bwana

Hi colobus,

The breeding was mixed race giraffe? I did not know that .... On ISIS recently, I have noted only both giraffe not assigned to ssp. level (2.1, of which 1.0 birth) and 0.2 rothschildi.

I have also recently learned elsewhere that they have received 1.1 peralta/antiquorum from a big Italian safari park (so this institution which is outside the EEP/EAZA organisation can concentrate on its pure-bred herd of southern giraffa ssp.

As to further developments: I have seen mention of an African jungle, an Eurasian exhibit and a native Italian (Abruzzo cum Appennine exhibit).

Regards,

K.B.

4. colobus

About giraffes, it is not true (luckly). I think you referred to the Cornelle Faunistic Park but there is no space in Rome for further gireffes.
    Concerning the plans, I'm quite sure these were part of a masterplan realised some years ago (by Ursa Int.). It was really ambitious but resources were unavailable and it was later abandoned

5. Kifaru Bwana

That is a real sham(e)! It seems the zoo lacks good leadership/focus/direction?

Is Gloria Svampi-Garibaldi no longerl attached to Bioparco?

6. colobus

Gloria Svampa left in 1999 if I remember well. But also Sian Waters and Douglas Richardson left after a few years......

7. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. Sharak_Jek

Sharak_Jek Well-Known Member

9. Sharak_Jek

During this summer I've been monotoring the italian newspaper websites,I found some important things:they are going to make an outdor exibit for oranguangs(maybe next year),a titi house that might open in early 2011(but i'm not sure),an underground aquarium(might open in 2013),some aviaries( near the bear's enclosure)wich will keep eagles,vultures and waldrapps(I don't know when),an island for gibbos in the lake(maybe next year),an enclosura for sea lions.
    I've read that they'll take some sardinian brook salamander and pherhaps some meerkats.Since late june the zoo keeps coati(7 from Antwerp zoo)and in august they've opened a new enclosure for Armadillos in the entry plaza.

Mickey likes this.
  10. Sharak_Jek

In spring they've opened two new lemur exibits ner the seal pool(one for black lemurs aond one for ring tiled lemurs),in june a ring talied remur and a black lemur have been born.When I went to the zoo in september they've refurbished the orangutang cage:Climbing structures and a subfolore of wood chips.

11. Kifaru Bwana

How many orangs (and sex ratio) are there?
    Subspecies and breeding data?

12. Sharak_Jek

The zoo has three hybrid females born in Rome.
    Petronilla(born in 1970)-her father was a sumatran orangutang her mother was a bornean one.
    Zoe(born in 1985)-daughter of Petronilla,her father was the same of Petronilla so she is an inbreeding.
    Martina(born in 1989)-daughter of Petronilla an sister of Zoe she is an inbreeding too.
    These are the only orangutangs which were born in Italy.

13. Sharak_Jek

Yesterday a bear female has arrived from Sicily.

14. Kifaru Bwana

I have flicked through the photo gallery and this produced some queries re. various species now at Bioparco di Roma.

The addax are a recent addition? I have always thought this type of city zoo well suited to semi-arid species. Any future plans for dorcas gazelles or Mhorrs?

The Giraffe House looks quite nice and I have noticed them switching from hybrids to Rothschildt's giraffe. A calf was shown in one of the photographs... Is this still a hybrid?

What is the plan for zebras? I would hope they hold on to the Grevy's zebra and sort out a savannah type exhibit with giraffe and other African hoofstock.

The kulan-camel and European bison areas seem recent refurbishments. When were these completed?

Oh, and not to be stopped ... it be nice to have some regular updates on births, hatchings, deaths, imports and transfers .... :D

15. colobus

Hi K.B.,
    Addax are a recent addition (from Paris, I think).
    The European bisont/banteng area was refurbished in 2009.
    Has just been published a book on the history of the zoo "La Giungla di Villa Borghese". It is available from the publisher at Edizioni Belvedere - Home Page Research

16. Sharak_Jek

The male is from Berlin,the females are from Wilhelma and Montpiller

17. Sharak_Jek

I found more fact about this bear:She's called Gil,she's 13,she was kept in a sort of zoo in Sicily(a menagerie of a "doctor") .She was sent to Rome because she inflicted herself some injuries,she is not visible to the public yet,and won't live with the males(Rome has three brothers),she might be send to another zoo in future.

18. Sharak_Jek

During Christmas holidays I'll go to the zoo and bring you some news about animals and about future projects(they change their projects regularly).

19. Sharak_Jek

Wonderful news.
    A white napped mangabey was born on 7 November,sadly the mother rejected him and so the keepers raise him.He'll be introduced to the group in future.The last white napped mangabey at bioparco,was born in 1999.
    The zoo houses a group of three mangabeys(1 male called Mongomo,2 females called Ashante and Jasmine) and a solitary one.

20. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The last Mangabey to be born there was a female (name escapes me, sorry) who was transfered to Flamingo Land in the UK around 2000 or 2001to join there existing male. I don't know if she's still there (or if they even keep the species anymore) but she had a baby about five or six years ago who was handreared as well