Join our zoo community

Bioparco di Roma Bioparco Macaques

Discussion in 'Italy' started by Maguari, 19 Oct 2009.

1. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Put this in the gallery but thought I'd drop it in here as well.

I visited Bioparco last week and spotted two macaques in an off-show-but-visible exhibit between the mangabeys and mandrills.

Remembering the Assam Macaques from my 2003 visit my zoo-sense was tingling, so I made sure I got a photo. Checking ISIS, except for the 80-plus group of Japanese Macaques on their rock, the zoo is listed as holding:

0.1 Assam Macaque (Macaca assamensis)
    0.1 Northern Pig-tailed Macaque (Macaca leonina)

Now, the Assam-typical slightly orange/golden colouration of the left-hand animal in the photo and the flattened facial features of the right-hand animal would suggest that these are those two animals, which if so makes this only my second time of seeing Assam and my very first of seeing Northern Pig-tailed (as opposed to the slightly more often-kept Southern, M. nemestrina).

Is anyone able to confirm these IDs are correct? I'm particularly intrigued to know if this is really a Northern rather than Southern Pig-tailed (not sure I trust ISIS alone as a source for this!).

Photo here: http://www.zoochat.com/701/macaques-bioparco-rome-15-10-09-a-111871/

Last edited: 20 Oct 2009
  2. colobus

colobus Well-Known Member

Yes, this is the last of several Macaca leonina living in Rome in the 1980's. They were incidentally compared with Macaca nemestrina in a paper I published in the Journal
    Hystrix It. J. Mamm. in 2001.
    There were also five M. assamensis in the past, including possibly one M. assamensis pelops.

devilfish likes this.
  3. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Wow - that's what I call an authoritative answer! :)

Thanks colobus - that's exactly what I wanted to know.

4. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member