Join our zoo community

Smithsonian National Zoo Bird house questions

Discussion in 'United States' started by VAtigers, 26 Nov 2020.

1. VAtigers

VAtigers New Member

I have a few questions about the Bird House renovations that I didn’t see on the zoo’s website. Does anyone know if the outdoor Bird House exhibits will be the same or will they be renovated as well? Is the Great flight exhibit still going to be open? Are the species inside and outside the Bird House going to be mostly the same or will it mostly be new species?

Also, anyone know if there is another big project coming up after the bird house? It seems like there has always been a major update going on in the last 15 or so years (Asia Trail, Elephant House, American Trail, etc).

2. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Inside it's largely going to be different species, I believe. They building is going to be themed, based on migratory birds from the Americas, so there won't be any asian, african, etc species.

They've been working on some upgrades to the elephant areas. I think it'll partly depend on if the pandas are staying.

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

The Smithsonian National Zoo is dependent on the US Federal budget. Given the economy and the national deficit, I wouldn't expect Congress to be channeling loads of funds to the zoo anytime soon

Andrew_NZP likes this.
  4. NAIB Volunteer

NAIB Volunteer Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As previously mentioned, birds inside the bird house with be represented from the Americas. The outdoor yards will largely remain unchanged, although initial plans had the flamingo exhibit moved upfront just beyond the bridge over the elephant yard.

They are keeping a few high-profile species that they've had success with such as kori bustards and kiwis. The Great Flight Cage will remain unchanged.

After the Bird House, the Reptile House will be the next facility to receive an extensive face lift and renovation. The parking garage and gated entrances were tabled for now, but will probably be looked at within the next few years.

Andrew_NZP and StoppableSan like this.
  5. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Any plans for the lions and tigers, or the old area next to them that used to hold small cats?

6. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here’s a link about the bird house renovation
    Bird House
    This will be the first of it’s kind as it would have habitats these North American migratory birds would be living as they would if they were Migrating in the Wild.
    The National zoo is writing a husbandry book of North American songbird and wading birds and even breeding them off-exhibit.
    Also Songbirds are considered a S.A.F.E. species by the AZA and they’re in serious decline.