Join our zoo community

Bird observations

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Terry Thomas, 8 Jun 2018.

1. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Not sure if anyone will be interested, but on a recent outback trip I spotted a few different bird species:
    11th May:- Noisy miners Ravens, Pied currawongs, Magpies, Eastern rosellas, Crimson rosellas, Black-faced cuckoo-shrikes, Wood ducks, Whistling kites, Brown falcon, Willie wagtail, Black-faced woodswallows, Common starlings, Common mynahs, Great egrets, Little black cormorants, Pacific black ducks, Grey teals, Yellow-throated miners, Redrump parrots, Crested pigeons, White-plumed, Spiny-cheeked and Blue-faced honeyeaters.

12th. May: Also Galahs, Pied herons, Red-necked avocets, Black-winged stilts, Black-tailed native hens, Masked plovers, Apostlebirds, White-winged choughs, Emus, Laughing kookaburras, Jacky winters, Square-tailed kites, Dusky woodswallows, House sparrows, Little corellas, Cockatiels, Crimson-winged parrots.

Many were again seen on several different days. Some other species include Little eagle, wedge-tailed eagle, Major Mitchell cockatoos, Sulphur-crested cockatoos, Pied and brown butcherbirds, Bluebonnet parrots, Richards pipit, Brown tree-creepers, Spotted bowerbirds, Grey shrike-thrush,White-browed woodswallows, Restless flycatchers, Re-capped robins, Hooded robin, Black-breasted buzzard, Black kite,Mudlarks, BulnBuln parrots, Chestnut-crowned babblers, Grey-headed babblers, Blue and Splendid fairy-wrens, Grey-breasted honeyeaters, Black-fronted dotterels, Bugerigars, Double-bar and zebra finches, Peaceful doves, Darters.

Due to drought conditions there were not too many species to be seen. The drought is now in the sixth year and I was surprised at the number of places that I saw pools of water remaining in billabongs etc.. Many of the larger rivers are no longer running, although pools still remain here and there. Not too many mammals were seen, but tracks showed that there are still several small animals active during the night. Red, Eastern and Western grey kangaroos were seen, and several wallabies, which I was not able to identify with confidence. In places there were many emus.

Clearing of the trees and undergrowth is a major problem still, especially in Queensland, where much of the countryside has been turned into semi- desert like conditions.

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You're welcome to share your observations in the Big year thread:
    2018 Big Year

Where there is a small competition of who sees what ;)